What's new

how to clean a used adjustable?

Hi all,

I did read the sticky on cleaning razors, but I'm more confused than ever--particularly as the razor I need to clean is an adjustable, and I want to try to avoid wearing out the numbers if possible. Is there any consensus as to a simple, cheap, efficient way to clean an old Gillette adjustable?

The photo of the one I just bought is attached.

Thanks!
Dave

use scrubbing bubbles spray and a soft tooth brush to help remove external gunk. If it's mechanics work well there isn't a need to boil. Avoid those ultrasonic cleaning baths as they have been known to remove the number paint. Soak in barbicide for the 10 minutes as per directions... good to go. You can final polish with a cloth or with maas.

+1. There just isn't anything better. I use scrubbing bubbles on all my razors -- just soak the head for an hour and then rinse. Rarely do I even need to use a toothbrush.

I never boil any of my razors. That's just plain cruel..lol

My routine is pre soak in CLR, followed by scrubbing bubbles, polished and cleaned with dremel, blue magic and mineral oil.

Cleans and shines like a custom build Harley!

I never boil any of my razors. That's just plain cruel..lol

My routine is pre soak in CLR, followed by scrubbing bubbles, polished and cleaned with dremel, blue magic and mineral oil.

Cleans and shines like a custom build Harley!

What is CLR?

I'm sure it is real simple and I probably use it daily...BUT??????
Tom

CLR is exactly what AAronX just said and you can get the cheapest at Wal*Mart. Best to use a with 50/50 dillution with water and silver colored razors.

According to the manufacturers web site for CLR it is acidic in nature and should not be used on painted surfaces so I'd avoid getting it on any numbers on the adjustable.

According to the manufacturers web site for CLR it is acidic in nature and should not be used on painted surfaces so I'd avoid getting it on any numbers on the adjustable.

strange because I've thrown several adjustables at it and usually soak them for 30 min without any harm to the numbers. Never had any problems. That's why I only soak for 30min and make sure to have a 50/50 dillution.

Top Bottom