What's new

Argh! Found potential corrosion on my new TI blade

Ok, so I was shaving this morning and as I was done, I wiped the sides of my TI 11/16 (grelot-form) razor to dry it off. I noticed something dark right next to the cutting edge, but thought it was just some sticky soapy stubble. Anyway, I stropped the razor on a denim strop and on leather, but the mark would not go away. I tried scratching a little with my fingernail, but again it wasn't moving. On closer inspection, it looks like potential corrosion of some sort. It is just a dark mark, but it is really annoying me (especially as I have never had this happen to any straight I use as I always take great care to dry them and to strop after each shave).

I have attached a picture. I know it is only small, but it should not be there and I want it gone. How should I best tackle this. I have not had to restore a razor for years, so I have no idea now where to start. Also, my honing skills are still lacking (especially with TI's awkward steel), so any way to do this without touching the actual cutting edge would help (though I fear that may be hard).

I would really appreciate assistance on this one.

Attachments

• $photo.jpg
    $photo.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 129
I have has TIs get spots on them just from a barbicide soak. I would say Maas or mothers the blade (carefully) and it should take care of it.

You might need to hone it after.

I would suggest some silicon sleeves to store it after.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is "maas"? I am kind of annoyed that it has caught a spot this early, but thanks for your quick advice. I have been storing it in a leather sleeve it came with (it is like a tube with an open top, though the top is mostly closed because it is higher than the end of the razor). What are these silicon sleeves you suggest? I was thinking of getting a cardboard razor box to put it in for storage in the bathroom (as I like cardboard boxes better than leather sleeves), so not sure at the moment.

Oh I see what you mean with the sleeves - found them. Is there anything about them that makes them preferable to a leather or cardboard case? (i.e. does the silicone help with moisture in such a case). I'll have a look for some metal polish (there is one I used to use that was good, autosol I think). Thanks for your help.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Exactly; the silicone sleeve takes care of the moisture. Which leads to something I saw in post-3, don't store your razors in the bathroom. There's just way too much moister in there.

Nah there aren't many stainless I like the look of. Anyone else make them apart from dovo?

I actually never had a problem with my razors being in the bathroom (I do need a better storage solution for the TI though), which is why this one surprised me. But anyway, I'll try to polish it off and see how it goes.

Btw, Seraphim, I love your newest creation on your site. Has kind of a 60s flower power look to it (in a good way). Very jealous of whoever gets that one

Last edited:
If you clean that with a paste you need to re-hone that razor, the only chance you have to clean that without touching the edge (IMO) would be one of those glass fiber pen rust remover thingies.

$glass fiber pen.JPG $prep1.jpg

I've got one of them, but a rough one (for the car) so I'd need to try to buy another one. Dunno if it wouldn't scratch the razor surface too visibly. Hmm I might give it a go. If need be, I'll just have to try to hone it up.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
You probably cant get MAAS in the UK. Get Autosol, it does the same thing. You will probably screw up the edge doing it, so be prepared to re-hone. Try using it on a q-tip, it might be easier to control than a rag.

Yeah, toothpaste. It can be used ( since it's a mildly abrasive polish) to shine up silverware and any number of things.
One caution about leather pouches and steel. Most knife collectors won't keep blades in leather as some of the acid used for tanning can cause corrosion and rusting on metals.
Personally I've seen it happen to a couple of my knives.

Agree with toothpaste.
If it isn't a light rust and it has started to pit, then you'll need metal polish.
MAAS/simichrome/Bluemagic all work with good effect.
You can probably use cotton swab carefully to try and remove that without damaging the edge.
I've done it successfully.

Legion

Staff member
Looking at the picture again, you might even be able to remove those marks by stropping on a pasted strop.

Top Bottom