What's new

Hobbyist DE Razor Showcase

Got an order for a Titanium DE handle, with a target length of 88mm and 17mm diameter, in the grooved style. I started with drilling, tapping, and cutting the cone:
proxy.php

Clean the OD and turn as close to 17mm as possible (actual diameter end up being 17.04mm):
proxy.php

proxy.php

Cut the shallow and deep grooves:
proxy.php

Trim to length (actual length came out at 88.1mm), round the edge:
proxy.php

Finished handle:
proxy.php

New handle on EJ89 head (M5x0.8 threads):
proxy.php

New handle on Gillette NEW head (10-32 threads):
proxy.php

Handle comparisons (custom Titanium, EJ89, Gillette NEW):
proxy.php

Just finished a Titanium DE handle for a customer here in the USA. As always I started with the threading and the cone:
proxy.php

Turned the OD:
proxy.php

Then cut the grooves:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Clean-up the base:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Finished handle:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Will

Here is a second Titanium handle, using a new prototype design - it is a combination that a buddy of mine recommended me to try: combine swirl knurling with grooves. I have a few more ideas, but this is the first version.

Once I had the threads and the cone done, I worked on getting the OD to the right multiple of the knurling wheels for knurling (to make sure the pattern tracks):
proxy.php

I then did a light, swirl pattern, and cut some thin grooves to provide grip at 3x places aloing the handle:
proxy.php

Close-up:
proxy.php

Clean-up base as always:
proxy.php

Finished Ti handle:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

$photo.JPG
Wquiles made this handle for me. I finally created a simple stand, but it works. Not my finest work, but it is just leftover materials I couldn't use for anything else.

Attachments

• $photo.JPG
    $photo.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 781
I really like the work you have done. Seeing people make custom handles (including you) lead me to make one of my own. I posted it in a thread here but not on the sticky as I don't have a Hobbyist title. . I made grooves on mine too, but I was not trying to steal your thunder, I like the grooves more than a knurl too. My grooves were not perfectly spaced as the dials on the lathe don't have setscrews anymore. Do you cut these by hand? I think you do but am not sure.

I have a South Bend CL 175 C I believe, and lantern tool posts mainly. I have one QCTP with one Tool holder, so it isn't as much of a Quick Change as it is a Tool Holder :laugh:. I have a good selection of insert tool holders and inserts however. I really like your work if I haven't said so already.

Also, I use a 10-32 UNC gunstock tap to start the thread in aluminum, a spiral flute tap to go to bottom so I don't need to back up and break chips, and a bottoming tap for cleaning up the bottom. I was thinking however, that a thread forming tap would be more effective for working with aluminum because they are faster, cleaner, and more accurate.

Cheers,
Connor

Last edited:
Good job Connor. And no worries about stealing thunder or anything similar. You are welcome to use/copy/modify/improve on anything I have made. And if you later want to offer them for sale, no worries man - I actually will help you as much as I can :thumbup:

I cut everything by hand in my lathe (Precision Mathews 12x36). The only reason the grooves in my handles are evenly spaced is because my lathe has a DRO - you can achieve 0.0002" resolution, so it is easier and a lot more repeatable than using the dials.

Earlier in this thread I posted the actual taps that I use, and although they are awesome for Titanium, they also work great for Aluminum and brass. Besides the right tap, the lubricant for the tap is important - I have tried 3 different one, and it does make a difference. I do have a thread forming tap, but have not tried yet. One of these days :biggrin1:

Feel free to ask questions, here in this thread or by PM, or by email.

Last week I got a new request for a custom Ti DE handle, following style 3A with a target Dia of 16mm and target length of 70mm. I finished the handle today, so here are the work-in-progress pictures.

After threading and cutting the cone, I then work on getting the ID to one of the multiples of the knurling wheels:
proxy.php

Then setup the knurling wheels on my cut knurler:
proxy.php

Set the coolant very heavy (knurling is very hard on the tools due to the high pressure created):
proxy.php

proxy.php

And after a long while (knurling is very slow), the knurling is done:
proxy.php

Then cut the grooves:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Trim the length on my bandsaw (now running coolant!):
proxy.php

Clean up the base of the handle:
proxy.php

Finished Titanium DE handle:
proxy.php

Shown with an EJ89:
proxy.php

and with a Gillette NEW:
proxy.php

and ready to ship to its new owner:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Way cool. I like the tapered shoulders on the shorter one. Thanks for the super WIP pictures. Those really tell the story.

Latest custom Ti DE handle, for one of my international customers.

After drilling and tapping (10-32), I got the OD ready for the first of two knurling operations:
proxy.php

First knurling at 16mm dia:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now work on the middle section for the swirl (twist) knurling:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Do the twist/swirl knurling:
proxy.php

Clean up the transition areas:
proxy.php