What's new

Hobbyist DE Razor Showcase

Since I started wet shaving with a DE, I had the idea of a Titanium DE handle for many months now. But when I recently participated in the Gold Dollar competition at the Badger & Blade, I decided to make a fix handle straight razor, using a Titanium handle. I will post the WIP for that Ti handle in another thread, but here is the finished product (from top: Feather DX folding, Feather RD Japanese handle, my custom Titanium handle straight razor):
proxy.php

Using the leftover piece of Titanium, I started trying a few grooves at various depth's to see how they felt:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Since I still had another Ti rod, I decided to give it a try:
proxy.php

I started by drilling a pilot hole:
proxy.php

And then start drilling:
proxy.php

adding a relief area for the thread start:
proxy.php

and starting the tap - so that it would be concentric with the hole:
proxy.php

Finish by hand. Ti is "springy", so it is easy to break a tap!
proxy.php

Clean up the external OD:
proxy.php

Start the grooves:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Another quick test:
proxy.php

Cut to length (plus a little bit, so that I can clean up the edge on the lathe):
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Ti handle is definitely heavier than the small OEM handle:
proxy.php

proxy.php

In fact, the Ti handle is about twice the weight of the OEM handle:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I did modify the handle a little bit later on to give it additional grip, and an easier way to find various indexing points along the length as some folks like to hold it by the end, by the middle, or closer to the DE head:
proxy.php

This feels better in the hand to me:
proxy.php

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Here for your perusal are Safety Razor related works from your fellow Hobbyist members.

Please note a Hobbyist Badge is required for posting in this thread.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think that shorty looks a lot better with the tapered shoulders like that.

I think that shorty looks a lot better with the tapered shoulders like that.
Thanks. I like the taper one better as well.

These two handles are currently in a passaround at the USN forum, so I am getting some hands-on feedback from DE users.

I did not see one, but do we have passarounds in B&B? Would DE users be interested in trying these out?

These handles that I am making are using standard M5x0.8 threads, so they will fit most DE heads (this is the thread size used most often in aftermarket DE handles).

One of the guys in the passaround at USN has already used these two handles with an Ikon OSS head, and with a Weber DLC head.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Guys lets move questions to PMs as this thread is meant to showcase works vs. getting a passaround started.

Excellent ! If only I could make the same kind of work ....finding rods is easy and probably cheaper in Europe, but the tools ....

Great job! The handle is just superb, I'd like to have one to try how it can be different versus my Hoffritz Slant handle ...

Top Bottom