What's new

Hobbyist DE Razor Showcase

Wow all these look awesome! Would it be possible to do a varied depth swirl? Very like a barber pole I guess? Either way, the swirl/Ufo looks are top notch personally!

I'm currently enrolled in a Machine Tool program and use a manual lathe every single class. I would love to attempt to make one of these, but I'm not sure I can get my hands on any titanium. Most of what we have is 1018 cold rolled steel. Any tips for me before I attempt this?

I'm currently enrolled in a Machine Tool program and use a manual lathe every single class. I would love to attempt to make one of these, but I'm not sure I can get my hands on any titanium. Most of what we have is 1018 cold rolled steel. Any tips for me before I attempt this?

Best is to Google "machining titanium". You will get a lot of good information.

I can definitely tell you that it is not easy/trivial. I broke many nice, expensive drill bits before I got the right spindle RPM/feed pressure, and coolant figured out on my setup. Titanium is springy, creates high temperatures at the cutting edge (it can easily work-harden), works best if you have flood coolant, BUT it looks stunning in person once you are done.

Thanks for the info. Which grade of titanium do you recommend? Is it crucial to use something corrosion resistant?

Also, do you know of any resources to buy only the head of a razor? Perhaps a Merkur 34c or a EJ DE89?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Which grade of titanium do you recommend? Is it crucial to use something corrosion resistant?

Also, do you know of any resources to buy only the head of a razor? Perhaps a Merkur 34c or a EJ DE89?

Thanks

Grade 2 would be best to start with, as it is a little softer. Most often you have to buy the whole razor, which is what I did - you need both the M5x0.8 (metric, European) and 10-32 (domestic) heads at a minimum - some other vendors have different threads, but these are the most common. Post #43 in this thread shows you what I use to cut/thread the handles.

Grade 2 would be best to start with, as it is a little softer. Most often you have to buy the whole razor, which is what I did - you need both the M5x0.8 (metric, European) and 10-32 (domestic) heads at a minimum - some other vendors have different threads, but these are the most common. Post #43 in this thread shows you what I use to cut/thread the handles.

Ok, thanks a bunch. I'll post my results when its finished, though I'm not sure it will be nearly as good as yours!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Wow Will looking nice! That last one you did is amazing! I can't believe it is in titanium!

Well I ordered a DE89 from Amazon with the intention of using the head for the handle I'm going to make. My teacher said he's going to acquire some .500" stainless rod for me. Now I'm concerned because I've been reading that DE89 heads are made of Zamak and are likely to break if dropped. I am thinking about returning the EJ and perhaps buying an old Gillette tech. I'd love a Weber head, but unfortunately they do not sell them separately and they are kind of expensive. Any recommendations?

What sorrta money would a titanium handle run to guys??
Andy,

This is not a sales thread, so we can't discuss things here. If you are interested in the work we do, you can contact any of us via email or PM if interested.

Will

Top Bottom