What's new

Hobbyist DE Razor Showcase

A forum member asked me about making a fat DE handle out of brass, so I got some brass to try it out. Here is the new brass piece next to the Titanium rod:
proxy.php

Face off:
proxy.php

Spot drill:
proxy.php

Drill and tap (M5x0.8):
proxy.php

Clean and make the OD even and smooth, in preparation for knurling:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Knurl the piece (most time consuming):
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Knurling complete:
proxy.php

Cut the cone:
proxy.php

Check tool alignment, and cut grooves:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Now trim the handle to length (about 3") and face base:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Work complete - here is a close-up:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

On an EJ89 head:
proxy.php

A few notes on threads, and how I test the DE handles. Here is the exposed 10-32 threads on a Gillette NEW:
proxy.php

And then the metric M5x0.8 threads on an EJ89 razor:
proxy.php

So I made this shop tool using an M5x0.8 screw, to test the thread depth and engagement of new DE handles:
proxy.php

This here, about 0.35" of engagement is the minimum I use, which is above the 0.275" to 0.3" min engagement needed for DE heads:
proxy.php

I drill and tap my DE handles a little bit deeper in case a production DE comes out of the factory with a slightly deeper screw:
proxy.php

This is the tap set I use for Aluminum and Brass:
proxy.php

And this is the Titanium-specific tap I use on my Ti handles:
proxy.php

Just finished a Ti DE handle for an international forum member. Here I am testing the threads:
proxy.php

Then cut the cone - got a new, stronger insert, as the old one failed with Titanium use:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Setup the piece for the target length (between 85-90mm):
proxy.php

Clean up the OD:
proxy.php

proxy.php

To make less slippery in handles without knurling, I lightly touch with very fine sandpaper:
proxy.php

Then cut the shallow grooves:
proxy.php

Then cut the deep/wider grooves:
proxy.php

Then cut to length, face the bottom, and bevel the edge:
proxy.php

Finished handle (approx 17mm wide, 86mm long, 2.7oz):
proxy.php

Final test with on M5x0.8 threads (EJ89):
proxy.php

and on 10-32 threads (Gillette NEW):
proxy.php

Started work on spiral knurling today:
proxy.php

Drill/tap:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Make the cone:
proxy.php

Turn the OD:
proxy.php

Start the spiral knurl:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Cut and trim:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hello friend’s,
My DE razor handles collection has new member (second from the left, still has no name). So I decided to give you my razor handles family for comparison.

$handles_collection.jpg

So, going from the left to the right:

1. iKon OSS – a perfect structure to hold in your hand. iKon actually made a copy of Feather razor handle, which I also have, but it is not seen in this picture;
  2. Will‘s piece of art – modern, futuristic, fat and lightweight, Grade5 Titanium. It will withstand open space and can be part in the futures commercial flights to Moon or Mars. I see a bright future in Wills business. He has a great modern style feeling, perfect service and great skills;
  3. Ufo Tornado –handmade art in 316L steel. By a quality of service and quality of product they are comparable to Will, but these handles are heavier. I love them too.
  4. Ufo Goliath;
  5. iKon Bulldog 2 – classics in 316L steel. It‘s just classics for every occasion;
  6. Weber DE handle –shorter but still 316L classics for every situation.
So, you will ask, what is the best handle in this collection ? Putting all together, my best of the best are Ufo Tornado, Will‘s masterpiece and iKon OSS. They have different physical properties, but all 3 give you amazing feeling during the shave.

I practiced some more with the Swirl or Twist knurling, and got a second prototype made. This one took much longer to do, but it was fun to make.

As always, start with the drill and tap operations, and checking the threads:
proxy.php

Then cut the cone:
proxy.php

Get the OD to the correct diameter for the first knurling operation:
proxy.php

Do the first knurling operation - very slow ...
proxy.php

Mark the two areas where I will creating the new section with a smaller diameter:
proxy.php

Again, using the knurling calculators, turn the OD to the correct diameter:
proxy.php

Start the spiral/twist knurling operation - same as before, very slow ...
proxy.php

Trim/clean up the intersections and make even:
proxy.php

Cut to length, face, and bevel the base:
proxy.php

Finished handle on a Gillette NEW:
proxy.php

and on a EJ89:
proxy.php

Size comparison:
proxy.php

One of my customers asked for another Ti DE handle, but much thinner, and also a little longer. Like most other materials, Titanium flexes as it gets thinner, so machining has to be done close to the face of the chuck.

After drilling and tapping, I started work on the OD - target dia 12mm:
proxy.php

Once I get to the target dia, I cut the piece:
proxy.php

Clean-up the base:
proxy.php

Then do a few grooves close to the chuck, extend the handle, do more grooves, extend the handle, etc.:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Then do the grooves on the base:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Completed Ti DE handle: 92mm long, 12mm dia, 1.4oz:
proxy.php

New Ti DE handle on EJ89:
proxy.php

and on Gillette NEW:
proxy.php

Size comparison:
proxy.php

Today I wanted to try a light and a heavier knurl, over two diameters. First got the larger diameter done:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Then worked on the smaller diameter:
proxy.php

And after a lot of work, and two knurling operations, I basically removed everything that did not look like a handle and ended up with this:
3.2 oz, a little over .52" dia, and 3.1" long:
proxy.php

Here on a Gillette NEW:
proxy.php

proxy.php

With an EJ89:
proxy.php

Close-up on my hand:
proxy.php

Compared to stock Gillette NEW (ball end) and EJ handles:
proxy.php

Last edited:
A customer here in Texas wanted to buy one of my Titanium shaving brushes, but he also wanted a Titanium DE handle with knurled surface, and a similar design. His target length was 100mm, with a target dia of 16mm.

After doing the drill and tap operations, I started on the OD of the handle. Grooves I don't have to worry too much about the exact OD, but when knurling the OD has to be one of the multiples that line up with the TPI (teeth per inch) of my knurling tool and wheels:
proxy.php

To give the knurling a nicer finish, I turned the diameter using two tools, this one for the larger material removal:
proxy.php

And this one, which a PDC insert, which leaves a finer finish:
proxy.php

Once I reach the right multiple OD, I then start the knurling operation. With this cut knurler I really need flood lubrication, so I run it fairly heavy to keep the wheels cool and the debris out of the way (this is a cut knurling tool):
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here is the handle after the light knurling operation:
proxy.php

I then started working on grooves to get a similar design as in the handle, but scaled down for the DE handle:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Then as always, cut, trim, and bevel the base:
proxy.php

Here is the Titanium combo:
proxy.php

Ti handle on a Gillette NEW:
proxy.php

and on an EJ89:
proxy.php

Ti handle came out at 100.2mm, 16.7mm OD, and 2.8 oz:
proxy.php

I packaged and shipped to the customer earlier today (Sat):
proxy.php

and in case anyone wonders, yes, there are a LOT of Titanium shavings/debris left after these machining operations in the lathe:
proxy.php

Last edited:
A customer here in the USA ordered a Ti DE handle, like the 2A style I have made recently for other customers: about 88mm long, 17mm wide, 2.8oz.

I started by drilling, tapping, and cutting the cone as always:
proxy.php

Clean the OD and get it to 17mm:
proxy.php

Cut the shallow grooves:
proxy.php

Then cut the deep grooves:
proxy.php

Cut to length, clean up, and bevel the base:
proxy.php

Finished Ti DE handle: 89mm long, 17mm wide, 2.7oz:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I was just going to ask if you could make a handle closer to the diameter of the iKon handle or the Weber handle. I have some nerve damage in my hands and I thought a larger handle would help, but the Muhle Grande handle actually made my hand hurt by the end of the shave. I have a Weber Classic on the way, but I love the look of that deeper diagonal knurling and the regular knurling.

I need to think up a design combo of the two types of knurling in an approximately 4" length and I believe one of your handles may be taking a trip down to ole San Anton before too long.

Really nice work.

I was just going to ask if you could make a handle closer to the diameter of the iKon handle or the Weber handle. I have some nerve damage in my hands and I thought a larger handle would help, but the Muhle Grande handle actually made my hand hurt by the end of the shave. I have a Weber Classic on the way, but I love the look of that deeper diagonal knurling and the regular knurling.

I need to think up a design combo of the two types of knurling in an approximately 4" length and I believe one of your handles may be taking a trip down to ole San Anton before too long.

Really nice work.
Right above (post #50) I made a "slim" Ti DE handle for a customer in Singapore. Send me a PM/email with ideas/drawing.

Top Bottom