What's new

DIY Stainless Steel Razor Handle.

$aedp8s4.jpg

For those of you interested in doing something similar, start with a stainless steel 3 to 4" bolt (This is 1/2", but 3/8 will work if you like a smaller diameter), or another piece of metal (stainless, aluminum, brass, anything that doesn't rust easily) in a size you prefer.

Then you'll need to use a lathe or a drill press to drill a 4.2mm hole (a number 19 drill bit or an 11/64 drill bit will work if you can't find a 4.2mm drill bit at your local hardware store), then tap it with a 5mm x 0.8mm tap.

This will allow you to use razor with an M5 head (Edwin Jagger / Muhle / Sodial etc.), as well as most of the old Gilette heads (since the 10-32 threads are pretty close).

The razor head shown is the <$3.00 Sodial off of Amazon, which I purchased so I could have something to mess around with in the shop without getting cranky if it got wrecked.

If you've got access to the right tools, this is an easy way to get a stainless handle with a good grip for a reasonable sum. (If you don't, your local machine shop can probably do it for a small fee or a six-pack, since it's a pretty simple job, and not something they'd do every day.)

For best results, use with your own homemade shaving soap.

Last edited:
7" x 10" Precision Mini Lathe $499.99
drill press $129.99
Bolt Zinc Plated $1.14
telling your Friends you made your own razor handle: priceless

:a14::a14::a14: indeed.

Technically speaking though, it broke down like this:

Venice High Adult Night School metal shop class. ($80 for 6 sessions.) 1/2 session = 6.67.
Sodial 3 piece safety razor on Amazon - $2.30 (including free shipping). (Now it's $2.25.)
Stainless 1/2" x 3" Carriage Bolt at Home Depot - $3.30.
Total - $12.27 (Handle alone - $9.97).
Being reminded that decades/generations old American made machine tools (as do the organizations that offer public instruction on how to use them) - Priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed- I love this handle, and you will enjoy it endlessly for many reasons, but if for nothing else, you made it yourself. I wish I were this handy, I have to pay others to be this handy....then explain it to SWMBO. :)
:a14::a14::a14: indeed.

Technically speaking though, it broke down like this:

Venice High Adult Night School metal shop class. ($80 for 6 sessions.) 1/2 session = 6.67.
Sodial 3 piece safety razor on Amazon - $2.30 (including free shipping). (Now it's $2.25.)
Stainless 1/2" x 3" Carriage Bolt at Home Depot - $3.30.
Total - $12.27 (Handle alone - $9.97).
Being reminded that decades/generations old American made machine tools (as do the organizations that offer public instruction on how to use them) - Priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom