• Canon Rebel XTI

• Pentax K100D Super

• Other

• Nikon D40

• Canon Rebel XTI

• Pentax K100D Super

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a Nikon fan, but think Canon is just as good. You really can't go wrong with just about all the DSLRs made today. They're all fantastic and produce wonderful photos. Here's the one piece of advice I tell everyone. Go to the store and use the cameras you're thinking of buying. Really, this is the best advice I got about 15 years ago. If you buy something without trying it, you may find it too big, too small, too hard to use, etc... If you don't find your camera to be comfortable and easy to use, you'll find yourself leaving it at home. What good is an expensive camera if you don't use it?

The sensor on the D40 is generally considered to be superior to that of the D40x in all but resolution. Both would be fine choices, however.

Now that I didn't know, thanks for the (surprising) update! Best take that into consideration, Original Poster. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

If you are budget minded you can always go with a refurbished camera. Adorama has a great selection of refurbs, both canon and nikon. They have a canon 20d currently for $730 with a kit lens. It would be a significant step up from the rebels or D40 in all areas but lcd screen size. They also have a good price on the D80 and the rebel xt, as well as a bunch of lenses.

evan

I cant believe no-one has mentioned the Olympus E-510, built in IS, the smallest lightest best quality kits lens, live view and extremely well built. Its also a bargain at the moment. This is a serious piece of kit which takes cracking pictures.

Hi all,

I just read that Canon will be releasing the new 450D so I think I may hold off just a bit to see if the prices drop on the 400D and try and pick up a bargain.

For anyone who hasn't visited cameralabs.com, please do so. A great site with nice video reviews and a pretty nice forum.

Patrick

Hi all,

Still haven't made that camera purchase. We had to buy a new washer 3 days before my birthday so there went that money...we wound up buying a new washer and dryer. My wife has been wanting one of those fancy front-end high tech jobs so....$1,800 later....well, at least laundry is a bit more exciting with all those high-tech buttons and gadgets :)

Anyway...my desire for a new DSLR has taken on a new dimension....after making several trips to local camera shops, I am now lusting over the Nikon D80. Here is what I am looking at....now I just have to win the lottery :)

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1178.htm

although I could be talked in to this for about 1/3rd less.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1176.htm

Patrick

You really can go wrong with either a nikon or canon...but i recommend the d300...its more expensive but you will be able to get more out of it in the long run...plus nikons glass is superb..enjoy and best of luck

As stated before N v. C is always going to be debated in circles. But...if you go to a pro sporting event, you will see more Canon L glass on the sidelines. If you can't drop the $$ on L glass, Canon regular glass is very good. I have always shot Canon, from my first AE-1, to my current 20D and P&S SD1000. Mostly, it is about how you frame your shots and use your eye, the camera just does the recording, you make the shot.

I researched this myself recently, and opted for the D40. I did a lot of shopping around in the shops in Seoul, and eventually found a grey market kit. I got the standard kit (with the 18~55mm Nikkor lens) as well as a bag, an extra battery, and a 2GB memory card for $480. A great deal in my opinion.

Try to get to a store and handle both cameras and fiddle around with the interfaces, check out the ergonomics, and see what you think.

I think this is the most important thing here. Who cares if it takes nice pictures and costs $100 less if you never use it because it's a pain to change settings and it makes your hand cramp?

Top Bottom