What's new

Barefoot running / Muscle Activation Therapy

After a lot of years of long distance running in cushioned shoes plus orthotics I begin having problems. Feet were hurting, lower back was painful, cramping in the calf that would not go away. My doctor suggested "Muscle Activation Therapy". After one session my back pain was mostly gone. This was after over ten years of pain. In my discussions with the trainer he suggested that problems I have been having including the back pain could very well stem from my running shoes. He is not a fan of orthotics (never mind that the price for custom made one is a total rip-off) - they don't allow the foot to do what it was designed for. He suggested barefoot running shoes. Lots of interesting information on the web with regard to this type of shoe. I went to a running store the specialized in barefoot running. I bought a "transition" shoe and was told just to walk in them - a very slow break-in period. (I am not running until the trainer takes care of the calf problem). I started walking a quarter mile and am now up to over one mile. I won't go into all the benefits since they can be found on the web. Let's just say I feel very good walking. The complete transition to these shoes could take several months. Anyone have these types of shoes? If so what are your opinions?

Transition shoe has a bit more padding than the barefoot shoe - still has the flat heel.

Funny you should mention that. My crossfit coach was talking to me about that a few weeks ago. I've never really researched it. However, I have bought a pair of inov8 flite 192's which are minimalist shoes with a flat heel for crossfit as it will be better for lifting, rope climbs, etc. I ran some sprints in them and after a couple hundred meters they felt pretty good. Also, not a lot of calf cramping either (which I have been having lately).

I am a moderate over pronator and use a stability shoe with Aline inserts usually for my usual runs (5-7+) miles. There could be something to this.

I think one important aspect in making this transition is being sure to land more on your mid-forefoot. That's a lot of the reason for taking it slow. Pay attention to that. I know I thought I'd made the transition to being a minimalist, forefoot runner...I certainly had been concentrating on it, but then I look at the wear patter on my shoes, and I'm not doing it. I don't know why...but I still mildly heel strike. Feel like it's hard to "listen" to my feet to know that I'm landing on my forefoot.

Anyone else experience this?

When I was 18 I tore my acl playing soccer. After nearly two years I finally finished all my surgeries. When I began to try and play sports again I noticed discomfort in both my knees and back. My DR said it was most likely attributed to my body overcompensating between the Injury and the final surgery. On a whim I decided to try the "five finger shoes" and have not looked back since. There is some adjustment required both in how you run and building the toughness back into your foot. However, since using them I have had no back or knee problems in the slightest. I figure its because now my calf takes the beating not my knee or back.

I could talk these shoes all day.

Andrew, try running barefoot on a treadmill or smooth/clean pavement. You will quickly feel the difference and naturally change as heel striking, even slightly in barefoot, will be very painful after a short distance.
I think one important aspect in making this transition is being sure to land more on your mid-forefoot. That's a lot of the reason for taking it slow. Pay attention to that. I know I thought I'd made the transition to being a minimalist, forefoot runner...I certainly had been concentrating on it, but then I look at the wear patter on my shoes, and I'm not doing it. I don't know why...but I still mildly heel strike. Feel like it's hard to "listen" to my feet to know that I'm landing on my forefoot.

Anyone else experience this?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I was never able to run in traditional running shoes. As a teen I pretty much despised running, in my 20's I'd occasionally lace up and run down the road but after 10 minutes my back hurt so bad I'd have to walk home. Every time I did this the disk in my lower back would swell and the next day I could barely walk.

A couple of years ago I decided to try VFFs to see if they would help, but my gorilla toes have separation anxiety, and did not want to fit into the separate selves. The guy at the store pulled out the Minimus MT10s for me to try and I've been running in them ever since. While they are not a zero drop shoe, the 4mm of heal drop doesn't bother me at all.

I still would not consider myself a good runner by any stretch, but am now able to go to the park and do 5-6 miles and do some sprinting without worrying if I'll be able to bend over and put a sock on the next day. I don't have any desire to run road races, but in the last year I started doing trail and mud runs with a friend and have really enjoyed it.

I switched from traditional running shoes to barefoot/minimum style shoes due to knee pain. I bought a pair of Merrell Trailglove and like them very much. No more knee pain. I'll never go back to traditional running shoes.

When I was 18 I tore my acl playing soccer. After nearly two years I finally finished all my surgeries. When I began to try and play sports again I noticed discomfort in both my knees and back. My DR said it was most likely attributed to my body overcompensating between the Injury and the final surgery. On a whim I decided to try the "five finger shoes" and have not looked back since. There is some adjustment required both in how you run and building the toughness back into your foot. However, since using them I have had no back or knee problems in the slightest. I figure its because now my calf takes the beating not my knee or back.

I could talk these shoes all day.

I'm interested in these kinds of shoes. I had ACL reconstruction about 15 months ago, and I know what you mean about the body overcompensating.
The thing is, I've never tried those shoes, and I have a very small little toe, so I'm not sure how well they would work out. That said, Japanese people (I live in Japan) like socks with individual toes in them and I can wear them OK....Hmmmm....Not sure.

I bought a pair of VFF a few months ago with hopes to start making the slow transition. I have only been walking in them and its definitely different. Sites like 6 pm were blowing them out for $45 shipped. That's what finally pushed me as I'm cheap.

Commander Quan

While I was at the outdoor store today I decided to attempt to fit into the VFFs again. This time it went much better, and I walked out with a pair of the komodos. I'm running an event this weekend so I'm going to wait until next week to give them a spin at the park.

I ordered some Merrell Trail Glove's from Moosejaw last week and they finally came in today. I have to say I absolutely love these shoes. Its like i'm wearing nothing but I still have protection. I never thought my foot could be so comfortable in a shoe with basically only the sole of the shoe for padding.

Unfortunately we are getting a pretty hefty amount of rain this weekend so I will have to test them on a run on Monday.

I was never able to run in traditional running shoes. As a teen I pretty much despised running, in my 20's I'd occasionally lace up and run down the road but after 10 minutes my back hurt so bad I'd have to walk home. Every time I did this the disk in my lower back would swell and the next day I could barely walk.

A couple of years ago I decided to try VFFs to see if they would help, but my gorilla toes have separation anxiety, and did not want to fit into the separate selves. The guy at the store pulled out the Minimus MT10s for me to try and I've been running in them ever since. While they are not a zero drop shoe, the 4mm of heal drop doesn't bother me at all.

I still would not consider myself a good runner by any stretch, but am now able to go to the park and do 5-6 miles and do some sprinting without worrying if I'll be able to bend over and put a sock on the next day. I don't have any desire to run road races, but in the last year I started doing trail and mud runs with a friend and have really enjoyed it.

If you have been on a normal cushioned sole, try not to transit immediately to a VFF 0mm drop shoe for your barefoot run, it will be too much for your muscles to work and get used to. Like what Commander Quan mentioned, try a 4mm drop to slowly transit. Also, when you start off, go for shorter runs to get used to the way your foot lands and your stride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Commander Quan

James it does for some. If you start using the foot the way it is designed to be used, your foot acts like a shock absorber and you don't have the high impact shocks on the rest of the body. For some it's actually possible for the muscular structure of the foot to lift the arches to a more normal position after transitioning.

People with flat feet tend to have a harder time transitioning to minimal shoes, but the principles are the same - taking the time to relearn proper body mechanics is always a good thing.

You should check out Qi Running and Pose Running videos on YouTube - ignore the Mumbo-Jumbo talk and focus on the technical stuff.

I run quite often, usually 4-13 a run it just depends. I still have a little bit of heel strike when I'm running speed intervals and shorten my gait. I wear a pair of Nike free 3+ with the 5.0 sole. If I were to switch to VFF's or something simmilar what should I start with. My normal work shoe is a pair of well broken in sperry topsiders.

Top Bottom