What's new

24mm silvertip what is your loft of choice?

since im curious now. i got a 22mm set to 46mm and i have always bought higher loft brushes, this one is very different though and in a way i kind of like it. just takes a lot of soap to get it to lather great, and def a face lather brush

so now i want to go back to my choice of 24mm (the 22mm was really to see the difference) and im curious what your choice of loft is on a 24mm and why? also my other 24mm is a 50mm loft.

Subscribed. I'll be curious to know people's opinions on this too, as I was considering a similar purchase someday, but I have been taking my time figuring out all the variables.

I have yet to use a badger brush and am used to my Semogue 1800 by now, which has a decent loft but has all of the other characteristics of a good face lathering brush.

So far I had thought that for me a 24mm with a loft of 50mm would work

Everyone is different. Personally, I like a lot of loft. I have a 20 mm WD with 55 mm loft and I just love it. It is my most frequent go to brush. It works well in every mug I have.

Shorter loft for face brushes longer for bowl.

I have a RV custom with a TGN silvertip set to 45 mm and it is a killer

My Whipped Dog Silvertip is set to 50 mm. I bowl lather creams and soft soaps (Mike's, MW) with it marvelously. Though soft, it doesn't have any trouble loading those soaps.

I exclusively face lather. 24mm by 48mm loft is just about perfect for me. A little variation either way probably wouldn't hurt.

It really depends on the shape of the knot and the density. While i would normally never choose a 54mm loft, my SR 3824 is fantastic due to the density and the super-bulb. Alternately, with a 25mm knot, the 50mm knot of my polo 8 was right where it should be.

I imaging you're about to buy a Rudy Vey or similar custom knot, and would set it between 46 and 48 depending on the density of the brush.

A general rule of thumb (and this is completely general; as with all things YMMV) is to have the loft roughly double the size of the knot so in this case 48mm. Again, this is very general. I don't think I would want a 20mm knot set at 40mm (too low) or a 30mm knot set at 60mm (too high) but some people might.

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
49-51mm with a medium density, 2-band knot. I'd probably lean toward 50-51mm. I don't like flop, but I like soft with some massage but not stiff.

This is just personal preference. And there are other factors, such as hair characteristics, that can have significant bearing on what I'd consider optimal.

Top Bottom