What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Hi all,
Thought I would throw up a newbie intro post as I've never posted in this sub-forum before.
I've been on B+B for a year. I'm now a daily straight shaver with far too many straights and brushes. I've even held on to a few DEs and SEs to round out the collection though they don't get much use anymore.

I've just started up with a tobacco pipe - a MM, a no name bent coral and a Peterson which I haven't used yet make up my modest rotation. I've tried a few blends from the local shop and have some tins which I've yet to crack open.
I was a cigarette smoker for 18 years but quit over 5 years ago. A fully stocked humidor has had a place in my home for the past 3-4 years. I enjoy a rich, full-flavored cigar. Also, I've been known to thrown in a dip of Copenhagen or Kodiak on occasion (the Mrs. and kids despise it).
Scotch used to be my preferred drink of choice though I also enjoyed Vodka, hearty beers, red wines and whole bunch of other libation as well. My drinking days are now 5 years in the rearview. The hardest stuff I drink now is red bull.

I have just started perusing The Brown Leaf and am excited about discovering this new to me side of the forum.
The B+B Tinksy LE w/tamper looks sweet!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hi all,
Thought I would throw up a newbie intro post as I've never posted in this sub-forum before.
I've been on B+B for a year. I'm now a daily straight shaver with far too many straights and brushes. I've even held on to a few DEs and SEs to round out the collection though they don't get much use anymore.

I've just started up with a tobacco pipe - a MM, a no name bent coral and a Peterson which I haven't used yet make up my modest rotation. I've tried a few blends from the local shop and have some tins which I've yet to crack open.
I was a cigarette smoker for 18 years but quit over 5 years ago. A fully stocked humidor has had a place in my home for the past 3-4 years. I enjoy a rich, full-flavored cigar. Also, I've been known to thrown in a dip of Copenhagen or Kodiak on occasion (the Mrs. and kids despise it).
Scotch used to be my preferred drink of choice though I also enjoyed Vodka, hearty beers, red wines and whole bunch of other libation as well. My drinking days are now 5 years in the rearview. The hardest stuff I drink now is red bull.

I have just started perusing The Brown Leaf and am excited about discovering this new to me side of the forum.
The B+B Tinksy LE w/tamper looks sweet!

Welcome P Funk. There is a nook for every gentlemanly pursuit on this board- including fountain pens (yeah, Ed- I'm doing it again:001_smile ). And yes, the Tinsky is a winner- just hope I can sway the wife in time. It is a hell of a deal- a custom made Tinksy for $200- you can't beat it, IMO.

Welcome P Funk. There is a nook for every gentlemanly pursuit on this board- including fountain pens (yeah, Ed- I'm doing it again:001_smile ). And yes, the Tinsky is a winner- just hope I can sway the wife in time. It is a hell of a deal- a custom made Tinksy for $200- you can't beat it, IMO.

Carry on doing the good work, Owen! That's what I love about this place. Come for the shaving, stay and get bankrupt for everything else!

I honestly don't remember any of the cigars that I have tried.....they were all gifts....so to be totally honest....I never bought a cigar either. Do you have any recommendations?

Well, I usually point new cigar smokers to start sampling different cigars to see what they like. Most new cigar guys start with the mild-medium cigars. For the milder cigars I would suggest a Montecristo white label, Alec Bradley Connecticut, Ashton, or Arturo Fuente Chateau Connecticut. For something more in the medium-full, I would go with a Padron 6000 natural, Herrera Esteli (just had one of these recently and really liked it), or a Illusione epernay. Some other favorites of mine are Flor De Las Antillas, La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor, My Father Le Bijou 1922, and any of the liga privada stuff.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, I usually point new cigar smokers to start sampling different cigars to see what they like. Most new cigar guys start with the mild-medium cigars. For the milder cigars I would suggest a Montecristo white label, Alec Bradley Connecticut, Ashton, or Arturo Fuente Chateau Connecticut. For something more in the medium-full, I would go with a Padron 6000 natural, Herrera Esteli (just had one of these recently and really liked it), or a Illusione epernay. Some other favorites of mine are Flor De Las Antillas, La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor, My Father Le Bijou 1922, and any of the liga privada stuff.
The Flor de las Antillas and Liga Privada you sent were tasty.

I'm already a cigar enthusiast, but a list like that gives me some ideas of things to try rather than just blind guessing in the humidor or online! And after Owen's comment, I'll go ahead and add Flor De Las Antillas and Liga Prevada to the top of the "to-try" list, granted it could be awhile before I can convince the Mrs that I need more cigars.

I'm new to the forum and new to tobacco smoking (not just pipe smoking, ale tobacco). I've never smoked a cigarette, I've smoked one cigar, one time out of a hookah. I recently purchased a Dr. Grabow Silver Duke and a MM Country Gentleman (with a hardwood plug in it, which is pretty cool). I've only smoked a few bowls of Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream in it. Needless to say, I am VERY new. I've lurked the wet shaving forums for a year or two and just saw that there is a tobacco forum as well. Being new to the hobby, I am very excited about that because I love the community here.

I also have some McClelland's 5110 Dark English that I haven't smoked yet.

Anyway, happy to be here.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm new to the forum and new to tobacco smoking (not just pipe smoking, ale tobacco). I've never smoked a cigarette, I've smoked one cigar, one time out of a hookah. I recently purchased a Dr. Grabow Silver Duke and a MM Country Gentleman (with a hardwood plug in it, which is pretty cool). I've only smoked a few bowls of Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream in it. Needless to say, I am VERY new. I've lurked the wet shaving forums for a year or two and just saw that there is a tobacco forum as well. Being new to the hobby, I am very excited about that because I love the community here.

Welcome aboard- lots of good guys here.

Glad to have you here. Browse around, ask questions and enjoy your smokes!

Welcome aboard- lots of good guys here.

Absolutely agree, the spirit and camaraderie here is top-notch!

I'm still fairly new to pipes, this time around, but I am also learning and enjoying them this time around, so I'll be sticking with them now. lol

Thank you for the recommendations, I will try and track some of those down and give them a try.

Hi gents.

I've been a cigar smoker for a couple of years and this week I decided to pull the trigger on a pipe. This week, I was browsing a local ads website and someone was selling a Chacom pipe and I thought it was a good deal and a good way to try pipes. Since I'm a DIY guy, I'll also have some fun cleaning it and turning it as close as "brand new" as possible, although it looks already in fairly good condition.
Now, I'll have to get me some tobacco. From what I've read on pipe forums, newbies should buy some samplers so they can try some distinct flavors without breaking the bank.

Any of you guys know any good website and good samples worth to try? I'm in Europe. I don't know if it should be much cheaper to get some samplers here or overseas...

Thanks for your comments!

EDIT:

Oh, one other thing. Can you explain me the "leaves" on the pipe? When I smoke cigars, I understand that those are rolls of big parts of one leaf, so it is quite different than the "shredded" tobacco that comes in the cigarettes and, theoretically, being entire pieces of leaves, the flavor is more fresh and natural. Pretty much like grinding beans of coffee just before making a cup of coffee, right? Every natural product that's milled or grinded later tastes/smells/is better, right?
What about pipe tobacco? It's not shredded, but doesn't come in big pieces like in cigars, so it's something in between? Isn't it as fresh as a cigar leaf? I store my cigars in my humidor to keep them fresh. As far as I've read/seen, the pipe tobacco won't need this.
I know, total pipe newbie questions here :)

Last edited:
Hi gents.

Oh, one other thing. Can you explain me the "leaves" on the pipe? When I smoke cigars, I understand that those are rolls of big parts of one leaf, so it is quite different than the "shredded" tobacco that comes in the cigarettes and, theoretically, being entire pieces of leaves, the flavor is more fresh and natural. Pretty much like grinding beans of coffee just before making a cup of coffee, right? Every natural product that's milled or grinded later tastes/smells/is better, right?
What about pipe tobacco? It's not shredded, but doesn't come in big pieces like in cigars, so it's something in between? Isn't it as fresh as a cigar leaf? I store my cigars in my humidor to keep them fresh. As far as I've read/seen, the pipe tobacco won't need this.
I know, total pipe newbie questions here :)
We could explain it, but nobody wants to type that much.:wink2: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos

Any of you guys know any good website and good samples worth to try? I'm in Europe. I don't know if it should be much cheaper to get some samplers here or overseas...

There has to be a few tobacco shops in Porto. I'd visit them and try some house blends first, or if they have it some frog Morton cellar (highly recommended around here). I am not sure what the cost is compared to buying online.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks, so a jar should be enough to store the "stash".

Any good online stores that provide samplers?
When I get my tobacco it goes in Mason jars. Being in the US, I use pint jars for long term storage and half pints for everyday use.

I first joined B&B back in 2007 to talk shaving, but I have been on and off in my activity over the last year as life has become more busy. I have a young family (4 year old, 2 year old and a new baby due in june) and getting out for a pipe and a beer is one of my times to relax.

I first smoked a pipe way back in 1997, but I could never figure it out. I would come back to it from time to time, but I was a cigar guy with no patience. It wasn't until 2006 that I really smoked with any regularity. I went back to the pipe mainly because it was so much cheaper than cigars, but I also started having more fun after I had some luck figuring out packing the pipe and keeping it lit. I have started to obsess quite a bit more in the last year after i found the youtube channels out there. I don't have the time to smoke all the time, but I am having a lot of fun trying new things.

I have a collection of about 25 pipes, all acquired from my dad's collection. I spent most of my time last summer with Dunhill 965, but am currently working through GL Pease blends.

Top Bottom