What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Bummer. This was one of my favorite clays, and I dropped it.

$IMAG2376.jpg

Kilroy6644

Sucks, Kilroy. I have a Viennese clay
that would be quite hard to replace if
i ever broke it.
Yeah, I'm glad I don't have anything really irreplaceable. I think it was just a matter of time with this pipe. I had one just like it that had developed a big crack in the bowl, so I retired it and bought this one, and the clay was noticeably thinner. I don't know if it's just normal variation in the product, or if they're trying to save money on slip.

Kilroy6644

A year or two ago, I picked up the pipe on the left in a tobacco shop. I didn't know anything about it (still don't know much), but it looked cool. Today in the mail I received a copy of Alfred Dunhill's "The Pipe Book," and browsing through it, what do I see?

$PhotoGrid_1435199321976.jpg

And the description matches perfectly:

$IMAG2382-1.jpg

I don't know whether this was a pretty common style of pipe in that area (maybe pointing to a Finnish origin for my pipe?), or if it's a reproduction based on this book. Either way, it's still pretty cool to see one of my pipes pop up in an old book.

While not new to B&B, I have recently started smoking the pipe again. Thought I would check in with you folks as I am experimenting with tobaccos in search of "my favorite" and thought your experience would be valuable and perhaps save me some time and money.

So far I am staying away from Cavedish and concentrating on Burley, Virginia and have dabbled with Balkan. I find I enjoy both the Burleys and the Virginias and especially have liked mixing the two. Can anyone suggest a Burley blend that stands out?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Welcome back to the pipe! If you like Virginia and burley blends, my absolute favorite is Esoterica Tilbury.

For just burley blends, I like Uhle's 00 and Perfection Plug, Solani Aged Burley Flake, and Peter Stokkebye cube cut burley.

If you don't mind a slight topping added, you should check out Uhle's crushed white burley (which has a very light and mild anise topping) and Savinelli Brunelo Flake (a VaBur flake w some Macedonian leaf--I detect a light fruity topping but the manufacturer says there is none, so who knows).

Hello,
I am new to this site in general and was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that there was a pipes and cigar section on here. I have been smoking cigars and pipes for a little over 3 years now and have tried a wide range of both.

I prefer the sweeter flavored wrapped cigars but there is something about sitting back with a glass of whiskey and a strong full bodied cigar as well. I have tried many of the top brands but I constantly find myself coming back to the ACID brand cigars made by Drew Estate. The kuba kuba is a great cigar with a slow burn and the perfect size for a sit-back evening in my opinion.

On the pipe side of the house I started with a simple corn cob pipe and some Captain Black Round Taste from a starter pack. Since then my collection has grown and I recently bought my first plug to try out. I tend to like to sit back with a nice cherry blend and my favorite churchwarden and relax by the fire pit when camping. I recently took a trip to Ireland and was able to go into the Peterson's store there and by a new pipe, a simple bent billiard with a nice wood finish. However, my favorite pipe is my Nording calabash given to me by my grand-pappy, the bowl is to big for a quick smoke and I do not take that one traveling for fear of loss or damage.

Again I am supper happy to find this site and look forward to getting to know you all more.
$1979854_10152119543978089_1802802131_n.jpg$10169288_10152210078553089_6421216706629940275_n.jpg

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I started wet shaving at the beginning of the year, and joined B&B shortly afterwards. I've been lurking in the Brown Leaf quite a bit since then. Figured it was time to introduce myself.

I enjoy smoking cigars very much. I love a nice dark Madauro. And I like a nice big cigar. 6x60 is my favorite size. Not picky on the brand as long as it tastes great. Love the LFD Double Legaro line. Love an occasional Opus X when I find them relatively cheap. Have been enjoying a lot of San Latano and My Fathers sticks these days. But I like to mix it up. Was on a Perdomo kick for a couple years. Then moved onto Rocky for a while. But now I cant really say I have a regular maker.

I live in a part of the country where cigar smoking is still quite popular. Despite all of the smoking bans and laws, there are more cigar lounges than ever here. I always have a great place to meet up with some interesting people and have a smoke. I can go north, south, east or west from my home and find a great cigar bar or lounge within 30 minutes. There are always interesting people and fascinating conversations to be had over a good cigar smoke. I find that hanging out in a cigar lounge breaks down all barriers of age, race, social status, etc. You could be chatting with a plumber one minute, then a professional athlete or politician the next.

I also like to relax and smoke a nice cigar at home. I have a great deck with a fire pit. It makes for a wonderful smoke. I also love to smoke cigars while mowing the lawn. I have a fairly large lawn to mow, and use a lawn tractor to do it. So I like to sit back and have a good cigar while I ride the lawn tractor around. Its one of my very favorite places to smoke. I also love to smoke cigars while out camping, which is often. Nothing like sitting out in the woods with a campfire and a good cigar.

I dont smoke a pipe. Will that get me expelled from this sub forum? I tried the pipe when I was in college in the 80's, but never really kept it up.

Great group you guys have here.

The Brown Leaf badge is required in order to access the Stock Exchange. The cost for a Brown Leaf badge is $1.00. A hefty sum, I know but it is good for 999 years, I believe. You can get one by going here. I can't remember if there is a minimum amount of time you have to be a member on B&B or not. I am sure that Andrew (Senshi, our illustrious Brown Leaf Steward, and all around great guy) can elaborate more.

I hope this helps, and a hearty welcome!

I also love to smoke cigars while mowing the lawn. I have a fairly large lawn to mow, and use a lawn tractor to do it. So I like to sit back and have a good cigar while I ride the lawn tractor around. Its one of my very favorite places to smoke.

I was thinking of doing that the last time I mowed. I too use a lawn tractor, my lawn is sizeable but not huge, but it's kinda steep and some sections are pretty rough...oh and I hate walking a mower but really don't mind riding a tractor. Anyway things got hectic and I forgot, but I'm definitely gonna try it next time.

I dont smoke a pipe. Will that get me expelled from this sub forum? I tried the pipe when I was in college in the 80's, but never really kept it up.

There's a lot of pipe talk but there's plenty of cigar talk too, and no rejection of cigar-only smokers. You might catch a little peer pressure, but mostly it will be jealousy and interest that drives you to try pipes again.

Will the Brown Leaf option populate in subscriptions after I have hit 45 days on this site?
I believe it is 45days yes.

The Brown Leaf badge is required in order to access the Stock Exchange. The cost for a Brown Leaf badge is $1.00. A hefty sum, I know but it is good for 999 years, I believe. You can get one by going here. I can't remember if there is a minimum amount of time you have to be a member on B&B or not. I am sure that Andrew (Senshi, our illustrious Brown Leaf Steward, and all around great guy) can elaborate more.

I hope this helps, and a hearty welcome!

I see I have been forgotten.

I think it's time to get some more tobacco and maybe another pipe.
I've got my eye on a Mark Twain bent Rusticob.
Mars cigars was my goto site until they stopped shipping to Kalifornia, I suppose I will go shop around on 4noggins or CupaJoes. Any suggestions for tobaccos (I prefer English or Amer-English blend, no VaPers or crazy sweet Cavendish)?

Top Bottom