What's new

Maggard vs Edwin Jagger

Greetings, one and all!

I'm just returning to the wonderful world of DE shaving, and am taking my time on finding a DE razor. I really like the EJ DE89L and DE89BA11 (Barley Chrome finish). After doing some 'Bing-ing' I came upon this website and perused their DE offerings. This new line is a virtual clone to the EJ series. I like the fact that they are priced at half the price of EJ's most economical offerings.

As you can see in the pics, both are almost identical, with the Maggard having a slightly higher domed head. My question: Will this increased head height make it tougher for those hard-to-reach areas, such as under my nose?

Has anyone had any experience is this line of Razors? Good or bad? Customer service....thumbs up or down?

Since this product line is still relatively new, online searches have turned up no results on product reviews.

Enquiring (or is it Inquiring?) minds wanna know.

-Ross

:confused1

Attachments

• $Maggard-Razors-MR13-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-09.jpg
    $Maggard-Razors-MR13-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-09.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • $Maggard-Razors-MR13-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-08.jpg
    $Maggard-Razors-MR13-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-08.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,006
They look good, I am guessing they are being produced by Pearl out of India. They should shave good and at about half the cost of an Edwin Jagger well worth the cost.

Not bad for the price.

How does the finish feel? Looks choppy

I don't have a DE razor....yet. I'll have to wait a few more months. I don't know how it feels, but I'm guessing that it would be almost identical to EJ. The fit and finish won't be equal to the EJ, but I think it'll be close enough.

-Ross

I don't have a DE razor....yet. I'll have to wait a few more months. I don't know how it feels, but I'm guessing that it would be almost identical to EJ. The fit and finish won't be equal to the EJ, but I think it'll be close enough.

-Ross

If its not too much trouble let me know what you think once you receive the razor, also better/closer pics would be awesome.

I believe the owner of Maggard is a member here. They're a small company out of Southern Michigan with an actual store front along with an online business.

undream is the member and while it looks like a nice razor the fit and finish of the EJ looks far superior, but then again it's double the price.

I don't have EJ but Muhle (R41) which handle is hollow. Maggard's handle seems to be solid brass, as per the blurb:

We are excited to introduce our new Chrome-plated brass double edge safety razors! This traditional double edge safety razor is ideal for the beginner. A solid brass tubular handle has been chrome plated and will never rust.

Not sure if the head is brass as well...Definitely worth the price, especially for those who are in the States.

Forgive me but this is a bit unclear. A "solid brass tubular" handle does not sound like "solid" to me. It sounds like the handle is a hollow brass tube plated with chrome. When I read the word "solid" I don't think of a hollow tube. But this sounds like a hollow tube just like every other razor out there save for some of the special ones like Tradere and Darwin.

I don't have EJ but Muhle (R41) which handle is hollow. Maggard's handle seems to be solid brass, as per the blurb:

We are excited to introduce our new Chrome-plated brass double edge safety razors! This traditional double edge safety razor is ideal for the beginner. A solid brass tubular handle has been chrome plated and will never rust.

Not sure if the head is brass as well...Definitely worth the price, especially for those who are in the States.

Here we go again:
We are excited to introduce our new Chrome-plated brass double edge safety razors!...
Excerpt from Maggard Razors MR13 Chrome Safety Razor

I would definitely contact the store by email and have them confirm their razors are indeed brass.

On the other hand, whoever believes they can get a Chrome-plated brass double edge safety razors of current production for $16 , well..., they deserve it.

The description is similar to other razors that are still advertised as "solid brass frame" .

There are businesses that target a certain segment of the market and sell to certain customers. It is up to you where you place yourself and how much you value your own money.

These are not brass razors.

Read the description. The heads are zamac and the handles are plated brass. Just like Merkur and I believe EJ. If the chrome plating on the zamac head gets damaged the razor will corrode. The quality of the razor is in large measure dependent on the quality of the plating over the zamac. The razors are being sold as alternatives to EJ.

Here's a quote from the website:

A solid brass tubular handle has been chrome plated and will never rust. The heads of these razors are chrome plated cast zinc alloy. These razors shave very similar to Edwin Jagger razors, at a fraction of the price.

Here we go again:

Excerpt from Maggard Razors MR13 Chrome Safety Razor

I would definitely contact the store by email and have them confirm their razors are indeed brass.

On the other hand, whoever believes they can get a Chrome-plated brass double edge safety razors of current production for $16 , well..., they deserve it.

The description is similar to other razors that are still advertised as "solid brass frame" .

There are businesses that target a certain segment of the market and sell to certain customers. It is up to you where you place yourself and how much you value your own money.

I received my Maggard #1 today. I ordered it on Friday. Holy crap. That's fast. Samples, and some really great caramel corn were included. Top notch service.

I have not shaved with it yet, but it looks great. Fit and finish are surprisingly good. The handle is especially well finished. I'll chime in tomorrow with a review.

Clay

I received my Maggard #1 today. I ordered it on Friday. Holy crap. That's fast. Samples, and some really great caramel corn were included. Top notch service.

I have not shaved with it yet, but it looks great. Fit and finish are surprisingly good. The handle is especially well finished. I'll chime in tomorrow with a review.

Clay

Can't wait to read your review. If it looks like, shaves like, smells like an EJ, then I'll gladly go with the Maggard DE's. With the moolah I save I can splurge on other things. LOL

:001_tongu

I shaved with the MR20 for the first time this morning. The shave was nice and smooth, the aggressiveness along the lines of my EJ DE89. No sharp edges on the head like the SABI head. I would recommend the Maggard headed razors to anyone looking for a good beginner's razor or anyone looking for a razor similar to the EJ headed line.

I would recommend the Maggard headed razors to anyone looking for a good beginner's razor or anyone looking for a razor similar to the EJ headed line.

I agree. I had my first shave this morning and I really liked it. The handle appears to be solid brass, and is quite heavy compared to a Merkur 34C or Muhle R89. The razor is probably worth the $15-$18 just for the handle.

I'll report back on Friday with more info.

I am still shopping for my first DE in 33 yrs. Have been considering the EJ like you and then saw the Maggard site and your thread on B&B. After a year now, what's your opinion of the Maggard DE razor? Worth the price or should I just go ahead with the de89l?

Top Bottom