What's new

Super-Max Blade Differences

Recently wrote to Super-Max with a question and thought I'd share the information.

Q: I would like to know what the differences are between two models of your double edge razor blades: the Super-Max Super Stainless (green and yellow pack) and the Super-Max Stainless (blue/orange/white pack).

Dear Bob

Please find below answer to your query:-The difference between Stainless Blades (Orange/White/ Blue) and the Super Stainless (green/ Yellow) are the additional treatments that are performed on the blades during the manufacturing process. The Super-Max Super Stainless Blades go through an additional process of coating to provide a closer and smoother shave than the Super-Max Stainless blades.

Shall you require any further assistance we will be happy to assist. I hereby close this ticket.

Regards
Shiven

BTW - I can attest that the Super Stainless do indeed shave closer and smoother.

Last edited:
PTFE coated......

Some people like the feel of raw steel, others like the slide of the coated blades.

Cubfanbob, I find the response you received from Super-Max very perplexing. One of my favorite blades was the Super-Max Super Platinum. However, since I can no longer locate them, I considered trying the regular platinum blades as well as the stainless varieties. Therefore, I also very recently inquired about the differences in Super-Max blades. Specifically, I asked about the difference between the Super Platinum and Platinum and Stainless and Super Stainless, respectively. Sara Kim, from Super-Max's US/Canadian Logistics Division, unambiguously stated that various varieties of the different stainless and platinum blades are actually the same two blades just packaged and marketed differently. She did note, however, that their Titanium double edged blades were different from the stainless and platinum.

I ultimately purchased the regular Platinum blades and found them comparable to the Super-Platinums. I cannot definitely claim that they are the same blade, but I would find it difficult to tell the difference in a blind test.

YMMV!

I ultimately purchased the regular Platinum blades and found them comparable to the Super-Platinums. I cannot definitely claim that they are the same blade, but I would find it difficult to tell the difference in a blind test.

YMMV!
Same here!
I have both blades and I can´t feel any difference while shaving.

For me, the large variety of Super-Max blades is very confusing.
Stainless, Super Stainless, Platinum, Super Platinum, Titanium and what else. For me, as a normal shaver, that´s too much.

At the beginning of my shaving career I used the blue Vidyut Super-Max Super Stainless, which are labelled as Stainless on the blade. Because I had nearly no comparison, I was contend. But when I had more variety they where no longer sharp enough for me. The Super Stainless (green/yellow) are much better. Then came the Platinum und Super Platinum and they where even better. But I felt no difference between them.
The Titanium I haven´t tried yet.

FYI... just received more information - I had posted the same question on the Super-Max Facebook page, and just received this response:

Hello Bob! It's a pleasure to hear from you.

Super-Stainless blades generally are of a superior quality since they undergo certain additional manufacturing processes as compared to the Stainless blades.

As a result, the sharpness and resulting shaving performance of a Super-Stainless blade is usually higher when compared to a Stainless blade.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,
Super-Max Team

cubfanbob, I cannot comment on the differences between the Super Stainless and Stainless, but given the exceedingly vast amount of differently packaged Super-Max double edged blades apparently in production, I highly suspect that SM actually only produces a few varieties of blades with different packages for various markets. I would certainly like to know the real inside scoop on SM blades - the truth is out there!

I also noticed that SM updated the contact page since my last inquiry via the website. I sent another message also inquiring as to the differences between the Titanium, Blue Diamond Titanium, Super Platinum, Platinum, Blue Diamond Platinum, Super Stainless and Stainless (the SM blades that I've seen in the USA), and as to their availability in the USA. Shiven, the same customer service representative that responded to your message, stated that he forwarded my inquiry to someone in the company who has greater knowledge of the double edged blades and that he would provide a response shortly. It's been almost a week, but there's always hope . . .

i was told by them that the blue diamond titanium and the normal titanium are the same blade but for different regions as far as packaging.

i was told by them that the blue diamond titanium and the normal titanium are the same blade but for different regions as far as packaging.

That would be consistent with the information I first received from Ms. Kim. I am now curious how the Blue Diamond Titanium blades compare to the Blue Diamond Platinum, or if they are even the same blade.

i tried both. the seller i got them from carries a LARGE stock of them and i they told me the blue diamonds are the same i sent pictures of both and they again responded they are the same blade so not sure.

i tried both. the seller i got them from carries a LARGE stock of them and i they told me the blue diamonds are the same i sent pictures of both and they again responded they are the same blade so not sure.

Somewhere deep in the bowels of the Super-Max headquarters, locked in a hidden vault, guarded by fanatical, but exceptionally well-shaven, guards, is a rosetta st . . , eh, blade, that deciphers the various names and packaging of all SM double edged blades and reveals a truth so shocking that SM's marketing department fears the future of wet-shaving is at stake if the truth were to be revealed to the masses . . . Or, the company is so busy marketing their own multi-bladed shaving systems and fluorescent goo that their legacy double edged division has run amok.:biggrin1:

Top Bottom