What's new

A Note About Diamine Peach Haze Ink

I really like this ink's vibrant orange color, but it's very (too) saturated. There's no shading when I use it.

That's probably why it stained the ink window in my Pelikan M200. The dye or whatever is slowly coming out of the pen, and hopefully I can get it all out. Swabbing the ink window with Q-tips (cotton buds) only helps a little. They're turning orange, but I'm seeing only slight improvement in the window. It may require a dilute ammonia solution in the end.

If it can stain an ink window like this, I imagine it can gunk up a feed. Just a heads up.

-Andy

Does anyone know of any similarly troublesome inks? It might be good to have a little list of inks to avoid.

Don't get me wrong here. I like all the other Diamine inks I've tried and have noticed no ill effects with them. Peach Haze is just problematic. I've never had another ink stain an ink window like this.

Some folks may also find this ink writeup by Richard Binder helpful.

-Andy

Yeah, I have a sample at home that actually stained the sample bottle, but I can't remember what it is. Have to look when I get home.
Could this be an excuse to leave work early?

That sounds like as good an excuse as any. After it is a humanitarian mission to save our pens.
Yeah, I have a sample at home that actually stained the sample bottle, but I can't remember what it is. Have to look when I get home.
Could this be an excuse to leave work early?

I have 6 Diamine ink samples, all different shades of blue. 3 just run down the inside of the sample containers when I set them upright. The other three coat the inside. Should that be a warning of some sort?

Also, Diamine Claret, which I half expected to be difficult, doesn't stick to the inside of the M250 that contains it.

Further, after filling the Peach Haze stained M200 with water and letting it soak overnight, most of the stain has loosened up and is going into solution, such that I can remove it form the pen. Another fill and soak should have it taken care of. That's a lot of work for any ink, though. I don't think I'll be using it again.

-Andy

It was the Diamine Oxblood (which I like) that I noticed stained the heck out of the sample tube. But having said that, so does J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir, Noodlers Bay State Blue, Noodlers Blue Heron. Diamine Eclipse ( i can't even tell how much is in the sample tube, without opening!!), Diamine Syrah, to a small degree.

I just wish I knew if that sample vial staining was a metric we could use to help determine whether an ink is likely to stain or gunk up a pen (feed) or if that property should just be ignored.

-Andy

Top Bottom