What's new

Bowl vs Mug vs Scuttle. Which one?

I don't currently have a shaving bowl/mug or scuttle. I am using a coffee mug and its annoying as my fingers hit the sides. I would like to get a nice device for bowl lathering. I see everything from wooden bowls, ceramic bowl, scuttles, mugs, marble, grooves, no grooves... What would you choose and why? What the advantages/disadvantes of each? Thanks!

I take the lid off of the tub of the day, swirl my brush around inside, then rub the brush vigorously on my shower damp face . I put the lid back on the tub. Set the lathered up brush in it's stand and reach for the razor. Even my Poraso, I squeeze the tube into my last Poraso green tub and it's ready to go

I face lather with soaps, creams, and shave sticks. It is enjoyable and does not reequire as much paraphanalia as other methods of buiding lather.

I also use a shaveing bowl and shaving scuttles. I use bowls in the summer when I cold water shaave and use scuttles in the winter when I warm water shave.

I use two old stainless steel Danish gravy servers that came out of the back of my kitchen cabinet to make lather in. After trying lots of other bowls/mugs these seem to be the best that I have found. They are both marked Leonard Denmark 18/8 (stainless)

The large one is 5 3/4" across by 2 3/4" deep and perfect for my larger brushes like the Polo 12 and Rooney 3xl

The smaller one is 5 1/4" across by 2 1/2" deep and perfect for my smaller brushes like the Kent BK8

I've had these two bowls for 20 years or so. Never realized how useful they were until I joined B&B and started looking for more things to make lather in Before joining B&B I had always face lathered (always as in for the past 45 years)

If these look interesting you can go to the gravy boat section of eBay and type in either Denmark or Danish (or stainless if you want to wade through a whole pile of them) you will come up with a lot of them. The rim on the bottom makes it easy to hold and it catches any lather that over flows the bowl which helps keep things a little less messy in the shave den.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hop over to the local thrift shop and peruse the home goods. Grab two or three different ones that might fit the bill, try each and see which you like. At a couple bucks a piece, it's hard to go wrong.

Personally, I prefer a bit on the larger size, made of thick ceramic to hold heat and a little lip on the inside to hold the lather in. Haven't found the trinity yet though.

Hop over to the local thrift shop and peruse the home goods. Grab two or three different ones that might fit the bill, try each and see which you like. At a couple bucks a piece, it's hard to go wrong.

Personally, I prefer a bit on the larger size, made of thick ceramic to hold heat and a little lip on the inside to hold the lather in. Haven't found the trinity yet though.

I picked up a large coffee/soup mug that works nicely for making lather in

proxy.php

Well, if you are going to bowl-lather, the i would highly suggest one of Dirty Bird's scuttles. They are fantastic.

I love my Robert Becker scuttle.
$#5 forest scuttle 2.jpg
I love my Robert Becker lather bowl.
$forest shaving bowl 2.jpg
My third choice is my West Coast Shaving Hand-Thrown Shaving Bowl.
$LatherBowlBlack.jpg
My next trip I will test my Dirty Bird Travel Scuttle.
$TravelScuttle.JPG
I love my lather warm, and I love bowl lathering. I also love ritual, and the accoutrements are a part of why I enjoy wet shaving.

Temporarily, at least, you can get a stoneware bowl at Walmart for $1. My store has them in 5-6 colors. They're about 4" across, so plenty of room. The one in the picture has some Mike's Bay Rum soap pressed into it.

Attachments

• $grater 1 sm.jpg
    $grater 1 sm.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 666
I started a thread like this a while back and Turtle posted the pics of his stainless bowls, the next day I was at goodwill and found this
$DSCF6765.jpg
I call it my "Turtle" bowl and I love it. My wife found this a month later
$DSCF6836.jpg
she really likes it and because of the slight taper it doesn't let the lather creep over the edge
$DSCF6930.jpg
$DSCF6802.jpg

I recommend a vintage Old Spice shaving mug, commonly available on the Bay for a modest price.

If we use quality razors, blades, and brushes, we shouldn't cheap out on a shaving mug, which may last a lifetime.

I have a Col Conk mug, but I'm eventually going to get a scuttle. I would say just skip everything else, and go straight for a scuttle if you can.

I love my scuttle much more than any other method. Not a fan of face lathers or even bowls. They don't retain the heat nearly as well as a scuttle.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The size is very important. I suggest you raid the kitchen and try a few different sizes until you find the size you like.

I have a large coffee mug, but I kept hitting the sides with the brush and it doesn't keep the lather warm enough for my taste. I use a large scuttle. The warm lather on the third pass is heaven.

I tried several methods since I started DE shaving. I've face lathered, used a mug, a bowl, and now I'm using a double bowl method. I picked up a nice antique ceramic bowl in an antique shop and I'm using it to hold hot water and then placing my SS lathering bowl in it. I find this method gets me nice warm lather and keeps my lather warm for the second pass. In the meantime, I've ordered a G5 from Georgetown Pottery in the interest of having only one bowl instead of two.

If I had a flat bottom bathroom sink, I would just use a bowl and place it in the sink but my sink is a China bowl type and so it won't work.

As for face lathering, I actually got the best shave that way but I hate that the lather gets cold for the second pass.

I tried several methods since I started DE shaving. I've face lathered, used a mug, a bowl, and now I'm using a double bowl method. I picked up a nice antique ceramic bowl in an antique shop and I'm using it to hold hot water and then placing my SS lathering bowl in it. I find this method gets me nice warm lather and keeps my lather warm for the second pass. In the meantime, I've ordered a G5 from Georgetown Pottery in the interest of having only one bowl instead of two.

If I had a flat bottom bathroom sink, I would just use a bowl and place it in the sink but my sink is a China bowl type and so it won't work.

As for face lathering, I actually got the best shave that way but I hate that the lather gets cold for the second pass.

Dirty Bird Pottery, among others, makes a scuttle sized for just the brush for that purpose. Julie at Dirty Bird is great to work with and she will try to accommodate any custom changes you may like. I have a modified Bill Bowl from her and really couldn't be more pleased with it.

Top Bottom