What's new

The effect of variables

Still new into DE shaving and saving it for when I have time. For the morning rush still wet shave with a multi. So a variable there in swapping razors.

Main question though is with the DE which is a Gillette slim adjustable.

On my very first shave I had it set to "3".. Used my usual shaving cream but the DE for the first time. The result was okay but took some damage.

Subsequently I turned down the razor to "2", better shave as in no damage but not as finished as I would like even after 2nd pass.
I guess what I'm trying to establish is setting to blade condition relationship. First time was "3" and virgin blade, now "2" but blade that has been used, any hints on how to approach it?

Maybe "2" with new virgin blade then up to a "3" after a couple of shaves use?
Suggestions please.

Mychael

I would personally strongly recommend to keep your razor at a constant and rather low setting until you have the technique worked out. After a couple of months honing your routine, it may be appropriate to play around with the blade gap. Blade gap is, IMHO, a parameter that should be messed with rather late in the game.

Best - MM

i agree with mozart. watch more on the technique for at least a month or so and then start playing with the exposure. that way you'll know exactly what it's like to get consistent shaves before you start messing with any variables.

Great advice so far about keeping the blade gap setting constant while you are learning.

3 does seem to be the magic number for a lot of folks with the Gillette adjustables and is considered a mild setting.

As you learn how to use your particular razor with your unique facial geometry and beard growth patterns you'll get better and better at making maximum use of each pass for beard reduction even with the razor set to 2 or 1.

When you did the pass at 3 did your face feel rough, raw? If so perhaps going down to 2 would be the way to go. If the shave was decent at 3 keep it there. If you decide to keep it at 3 just make sure you take your time shaving and really concentrate on having the correct blade angle at all times.

Subsequently I turned down the razor to "2", better shave as in no damage but not as finished as I would like even after 2nd pass.

This kinda jumped out at me. Are you expecting a clean shave after one pass? I'm new to DE shaving, but not wet shaving. I've found I have to do two passes with the grain before I remove enough to even think of going across or against the grain.

You have to remove the beard in stages, not like the one pass with a 5,000 blade disposable, particularly since you aren't applying pressure.

I think I recall starting to use my fatboy on 2 or 3.

Now, over 35 years later, I use a hot towel and other straight-razor-like prep. Brush and soap, etc... My fatboy has been left on 9 for decades. No irritation, no razor-burn. 2 passes, WTG and XTG.

Thanks for all the input.
When I first used the razor with new blade I had it set to '3'.. That gave a clean shave after 2 passes but I got a lot of tiny nicks.

Next time and subsequent times I re-set the razor to '2'. No nicks or cuts but even after 2 passes and 3 passes in some places not as smooth as what I got with the setting on '3'.

Which got me thinking that perhaps when I put in a brand new blade I use a setting of '2' then when that initial edge is off the blade I would go to '3' but no higher.

Mychael

Great advice so far about keeping the blade gap setting constant while you are learning.

3 does seem to be the magic number for a lot of folks with the Gillette adjustables and is considered a mild setting.

When you did the pass at 3 did your face feel rough, raw? If so perhaps going down to 2 would be the way to go. If the shave was decent at 3 keep it there. If you decide to keep it at 3 just make sure you take your time shaving and really concentrate on having the correct blade angle at all times.

No, face was in fact very smooth, no rash as such but a lot of nicks that first time around.

Mychael

For the nicks:
  • are you using a light touch w little pressure?
  • are you stretching your skin enough?
  • are you lifting the handle enough to get a good angle?
  • have you tried soap and a brush? (canned goo ain't near as nice, you can get some williams or van der hagen soap and a starter brush at cvs or walgreen's, under 10 bucks total. A world of difference.)

Luck,

For the nicks:
  • are you using a light touch w little pressure? .I Believe I am.
  • are you stretching your skin enough? . Maybe not hard enough.
  • are you lifting the handle enough to get a good angle? .Yes. Razor does not Drag.

• have you tried soap and a brush? (canned goo ain't near as nice, you can get some williams or van der hagen soap and a starter brush at cvs or walgreen's, under 10 bucks total. A world of difference.)
    Very much so, in fact the full deal, hot water to face, then pre-lube oil,then lathered soap. Badger Brush. Was doing this with multi razor before swapping to DE.

Luck,

Mychael

The only other thing I can think of is to look close at the blade and make sure it's parallel to the safety bar (i.e. no damage to your razor), with equal blade exposure on both sides of the razor.

Other than that maybe try different blades and practice your technique.

Good Luck,

Top Bottom