What's new

Safety Razor VS Straight - Which Shaves Closer?

Which Gives The Closest Shave?

• DE with my favorite blade

• Straight Razor all the way

Results are only viewable after voting.
OK, I'm sure it's been posted before but I was wondering -

Lets say that you are equally skilled with both your DE and straight razor.
You use the same brush, soap, cream, facial prep, etc...

Given this entirely hypothetical situation, which gives you the closest shave?

Those with more practice and skill may well get a closer shave with a straight. At my lever of inexperience, I do better with a DE & Feather blade.

I'm not voting as there is no "equally close" choice. My close DE and straight shaves are just as close, but different. With a Feather DE, I get a glassy BBS finish. With a proper straight shave, I get a velvety BBS finish.

i am still not great with a straight. i dont do very much atg work with them still. just doing a quick 2 pass shave i end up with a suitably close smooth shave without any razor burn.

with a de doing 3-4 passes, i get more aggressive doing quite a bit of atg. the results are a bit closer but i do end up with quite a bit more burn when i use a splash.

both are quite different and i really like both of the experiences but a quick 2 pass shave with a straight is my favorite. absolutely zero irritation or razor burn. also, i end up with far fewer nicks with a straight.

cheers,
ryan

both are quite different and i really like both of the experiences but a quick 2 pass shave with a straight is my favorite. absolutely zero irritation or razor burn. also, i end up with far fewer nicks with a straight.

You think this is technique or...are you just A LOT gentler with a straight? I would imagine that with a straight I would concentrate quite a bit more...

Both SR and DE's are designed to shave hair down to the skin, therefore the difference in shaving closeness depends primarily upon execution. However... if you were to throw in certain multiblade cartridges which were designed to shave below the skin...

I use both.
It seems I get as close, smooth shave (everywhere but my neck) with a two pass straight shave than a three pass DE shave.
Because of the odd direction of my beard below the jaw line I can get a closer shave there with a DE, but more irritation also.
For some reason, my cheeks feel softer after shaving with a straight, and it seems to last longer. That is good because I shave in the evening so I can relax and enjoy the experience.

Top Bottom