What's new

Newb, wanting to "up my game"

I've been using Col Conk exclusively since I started wet shaving with a DE. I am sure the wide world has much more to offer, nothing against the Colonel! I am soliciting suggestions for a relatively inexpensive soap cake to try next? Our mall here in West Des Moines has an Art of Shaving store, but I don't think I fall into that paygrade. It was nice to look, but way outta my price range.

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

CO Bigelow from your local Bath and body Works.
After that, there's the whole World Wide Web and the worlds your shelled mollusk.

Last edited:
thanks! I see cream and oil on the website, do they make a cake or am I limiting myself my using cake only?

Check out Mike's Natural Soaps. $12 for a tin, Hungarian Lavendar gets a lot of love, along with his citrus scents and barber shop.

I'm going to check into the Mike's Natural, sounds nice. I'm going to order a couple tins this week. Thanks all!

Also, check out the various Italian soft soaps. They tend to make some of the thickest, slickest lather available, and many are quite inexpensive. Visit italianbarber.com and go through the RazoRock soaps. Many/all of those are made in Italy, I believe, and are top-notch soaps for their price ranges.

How about some cheaper shave sticks like Speick, Valobra, Arko or Wilkinson?

I also second the suggestion for Mike's, very high quality at a low price.

I've heard great things about Mystic Water, and I just ordered a sampler of three soaps for $7 including shipping. A great way to try out soaps without breaking the bank or being stuck with something you don't like for too long.

Incoming embarrasing newb question: When using soaps in a "tin", does one lather right in the tin, or mill the soap into a mug? Also, the Mikes sounds decadently wonderful, however, even being 35, I have oily, acne prone skin if I'm not careful. That stuff sounds like it may be dangerous for my skin type. Any experience with that anyone?

Top Bottom