What's new

Fuller Brush Restore

This brush has been in progress for a long time now (over a year and a half since I first bought the brush). I finally finished my last college class and again have time to devote to fun things.

As you can see it was pretty rough when I started, with deep scratches and oxidation. I don't have a bunch of fancy power tools, just a hand drill. I cut the bristles down with shears, drilled a hole in the center of the bristles, and pulled and cut everything out.

I ordered a 24/65 silvertip badger from Larry Andros at Whipped Dog. The knot arrived today, so I finally got the chance to finish this brush.

This first set of pictures shows the restoration progress.

Attachments

• $brush restoration 018.jpg
    $brush restoration 018.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 206
  • $brush restoration 020.jpg
    $brush restoration 020.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 204
  • $brush restoration 025.jpg
    $brush restoration 025.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 202
  • $brush restoration 026.jpg
    $brush restoration 026.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 202
  • $brush restoration 027.jpg
    $brush restoration 027.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 202
Here's a picture after installing the knot with two-part epoxy. I will post another picture after it cures and I get a chance to use the razor.

Attachments

• $Fuller Brush 003.jpg
    $Fuller Brush 003.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 200
I forgot to add, I used sandpaper, 65 grit, 150 grit, 320, 400, 500, 1000, 1200. Then switched to tripolli buffing compound. I ended up using Meguire's PlastX (thanks to the members on this forum for that great advice). The knot didn't quite fit the hole, so I massaged the opening with a hand file. Nothing fancy, just elbow grease.

That's a good looking brush! You're going the love Larry's silvertip. It's nice and soft. I just used one in a recent restore that I did. Enjoy your new brush!

PS..better set aside some money now because brush restoring can be habit forming...I've done 5 so far.

That's a good looking brush! You're going the love Larry's silvertip. It's nice and soft. I just used one in a recent restore that I did. Enjoy your new brush!

PS..better set aside some money now because brush restoring can be habit forming...I've done 5 so far.

Only 5 then you are just getting started with the addiction <insert evil laugh here>!

Nice job! How old is the original brush/handle?

I'm not sure how old the handle is. I bought it an an antique shop and judging by the condition of the bristles and patina of the brush, it's at least 40-50 years old. I seem to recall my grandparents talking about the Fuller Brush salesman and that was well before my time. I would guess there are experts of esoteric knowledge on this forum who could give us better information.

I'm not sure how old the handle is. I bought it an an antique shop and judging by the condition of the bristles and patina of the brush, it's at least 40-50 years old. I seem to recall my grandparents talking about the Fuller Brush salesman and that was well before my time. I would guess there are experts of esoteric knowledge on this forum who could give us better information.

I'm old enough to remember Fuller Brush salesmen going door to door. (It was always "ladies" for Avon and men for Fuller Brush.) I don't specifically recall them selling shaving brushes, but it's possible. If I recall correctly, they disappeared sometime in the mid '60s, so your handle could easily be 50+ years old. I'm sure it will always be special to you.

I was trying really hard not to date myself by admitting that it's at least as old as I am. While I wouldn't remember the Fuller Brush salesman, he was around about the same time I came into this world.

I almost bought a fuller brush shaving brush in 1963. So I know they were available then. I don't know what happened later.

That's a beautiful restoration! I really like the contrast in the butterscotch and black when they're all shined up.

I remember the Fuller Brush Man coming by our house in the mid-70's. Mom would usually make my brother and I hide and be quiet until he went away. Apparently if you answered the door you were bound to lose the next hour, even if you repeatedly insisted you didn't need anything. I guess persistence is everything in door-to-door sales.

What kind of epoxy would you recommend? I have a newer brush with a chrome handle and I've noticed the bristles coming loose. I want to re-glue with something that will last.

Top Bottom