What's new

Anyone into astronomy "Star Gazing"

I belonged to the Royal Astronomical Society for a number of years, never had my own telescope, we used to have "Star Parties" quite often.
Still go outside of the city once in a while and look up.

For our wedding anniversary we are going to a place called Dubbo in the country where we will go to the Western plains Zoo in the day and the Observatory in the evening, I have never been to one outside the city before, here's hoping for a clear night . http://www.dubboobservatory.com.au/

I'm new to star gazing (just like DE shaving) and picked up a Skywatcher 200P Dobsonian a couple of months back. Not the most amazing clear skies in rural England but good enough for some fantastic views!

Ive had horrible skies to here in San Antonio TX for the last few weeks. Hopefully it clears up a bit. I definitely feel your pain Arbor.

Can someone recommend a good Dobsonian that will be easy on the wallet. I'm not happy with my current telescope (Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ) and I'm looking to upgrade.

You cant go wrong with the Orion XT 8" SkyQuest is really good for the money. They are usually between $300-$400 price range. Zhumell makes good products to but they are going to be on average about $100 more than an Orion of the same specs.

You cant go wrong with the Orion XT 8" SkyQuest is really good for the money.
The Orion 8" is the one I was looking at before I got my Celestron 114EQ. I got mine for free, so I can't complain, but it didn't give me what I was looking for. Just curious if there was a better bargain than the Orion. Thanks!

I seen my first satellite through my scope the other night. I just happened to luck onto it while viewing Saturn. Pretty neat.

I just got my telescope out of the closet for the first time in three years to see the supermoon a few days ago. It's just a cheap one, an Orion Go Scope, but it's fine for looking at the moon. It has a wobbly tripod so it's hard to look at specific stars and planets. I really want to get a sun filter for it.

I am looking for a starter rig! I am living/working in Germany at the moment...would love to buy a German-made or European made entry level telescope.

I never buy anything for myself and decided that telescope would be a nice thing to buy!!

Any suggestions? What should I be looking for as a green horn?

I am looking for a starter rig! I am living/working in Germany at the moment...would love to buy a German-made or European made entry level telescope.

I never buy anything for myself and decided that telescope would be a nice thing to buy!!

Any suggestions? What should I be looking for as a green horn?

I recommend you first get some good binoculars and a star chart book and learn where things are in the sky. Then find a local astronomy group and look through various scopes. You may find that astronomy is not really your thing, but you can also experience for yourself how various scopes work, their strengths and their weaknesses. If you don't have the patience for that, the most bang for your buck would probably be an 8" Dobsonian scope, as others have recommended. But an astronomy group will help you get more out of it, for sure.

Also maxpr even a small 50 dollar Orion Funscope or a Celestron Firstscope would not be to bad. I own a First scope and it is not ideal for planets but great for the Moon and a few other things like Andromeda and so forth. My kids love it and it will get you into the habbit of moving and focusing a scope. As Quigg said a good pair of binoculars is also a very viable option.

Top Bottom