What's new

Got Scotch?

I have recently become interested in single malt scotches, and am interested in finding good quality, decently priced ($40-$50) brands. My experience is limited to Macallan 12 year and Glenfiddich 12 year. The Glenfiddich is quite drinkable and very reasonable at about $25 for 750ml, but nowhwere near the quality of Macallan 12 year at about $40. Any suggestions of good, smooth scotches in the aforementioned price range would be appreciated.

I only have one and it is a bit out of your price range, The Balvenie 15-year old single barrel. I am mostly a bourbon drinker, but this stuff is yummy! :tongue:

Tim

I only have one and it is a bit out of your price range, The Balvenie 15-year old single barrel. I am mostly a bourbon drinker, but this stuff is yummy! :tongue:

Tim

I picked this up in a 3 bottle Balvenie sample pack, and I fully agree.
GREAT taste.

Jim

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Clynelish 14
Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish
Dalwhinnie 15
Glenlivet 12
Craggenmore 12

I enjoy all these single malts and they are all under $50.

Tim

I see that Beverages and More has the 15 year for $60 -- so not too far out of my range, and worth consideration. How is their 12 year? I see that it is considerably cheaper. Thanks for the input.

I see that Beverages and More has the 15 year for $60 -- so not too far out of my range, and worth consideration. How is their 12 year? I see that it is considerably cheaper. Thanks for the input.

The 12 Year Doublewood is pretty tasty, but I actually prefer the 10 year over the 12. It's also cheaper, which is a nice bonus.

I've also got quite a few whisky reviews in the Speakeasy Section. Check those out, it may help get you started.

Thanks to everybody that responded:001_smile! These all look like excellent reccomendations, and are making me realize that my price range may have been a bit unrealistic. I can afford to spend more, I just didn't want to go overboard (and by that, I mean my wife doesn't want me to go overboard). But since I have a B-day coming up, who knows...

Thanks again, everybody!

I think this is another YMMV section. I love either a good 10 or 12 year scotch more than an older scotch, with the exception of the Dalwhinnie 15. I'm not into the 18 years. I agree to check out Tim's reviews. Good stuff. :thumbup:

Monkey, your price range is well within the reasonable, I've got quite a few excellent bottlings right within your range. Highland Park 12 is $40, Cragganmore 12 is $40, Glenlivet 12 is $30-35, Laphroaig 10 is $35-40, Ardbeg 10 is around $50, Laphroaig 15 is around $55, Talisker 10 is around $45 and Talisker 18 is around $55. All are great malts and reasonably priced.

Oban 14 is one of my favorates but you cant find it at that price unless you get it on a really good sale.

Thanks again to everybody who responded, it really is helpful to get some degree of recommendation on brands that are not exactly in the lime light, like Johnnie Walker, which I personally think is over-hyped. Obviously, personal preference plays a big role in the recommendations, and given enough time (and liver) I will try many of these to find my favorite.

Thanks again :biggrin1:!

I'm not sure what the price of a bottle is in your part of the world, but the smoooooothest whisky I have had the pleasure of tasting is Lagavulin.

And a big thumbs up on Laphroaig. If you like it, you'll love it.

Cheers

Jeremy

I'm not sure what the price of a bottle is in your part of the world, but the smoooooothest whisky I have had the pleasure of tasting is Lagavulin.

I've gone over this quite a few times. Lagavulin is some great stuff. A good age and strong islay character with a lot of complexity, but a lot of people don't know the stuff on the shelves today is the same glorious whisky produced a few years ago at the White Horse Distillery, the same stuff that Michael Jackson rated a 95 and others have rated even higher. The stuff available today is still good (distilled at the Port Ellen Distillery), but not nearly as good as the stuff from 10 years ago or so and is not a 95 whisky, it is similar to Laphroaig 15, but costs up to twice as much. I have bottles of both the Port Ellen and the White Horse and while they are in the same vein the Port Ellen is not nearly as good.

please, please, please, its "whisky" (or whiskey if talking about irish malts)

Calling a Glenfiddich or a Talisker "scotch" is just wrong, so wrong :001_smile

Top Bottom