What's new

A Newbie's First Few Shaves With the Merkur Slant & Feather Blades

I've been posting my experiences since I started DE shaving the first week of April thinking that other newbies can see that they aren't alone and maybe learn something from my mistakes.

I started with a few weeks ago with an Edwin Jagger De89lbl, feather blades and an AoS starter kit. First shaves were great until I got careless but I quickly went back to basics and things again were wonderful.

My son, who just started shaving got interested so I lent him my EJ.

I got curious about the concept of mild-medium-aggressive razors and so I went on Amazon and picked up a Merkur HD Slant Safety Razor 37C and an EJ Best Badger brush (now that I'm not paying $35 for 8 cartridges, I can afford to experiment a little).

After 3 shaves with the slant, Im getting even better shaves, something I would not have thought possible three weeks ago, and with zero irritation. With the slant I just go very slow and very deliberate with literally no pressure but the weight of the razor. I find that in most areas, I need only 2 passes, which probably explains the reduction in irritation with just a few areas that need the attention of a third pass.

The only problem I have is that, despite needing to shave every day all my life, twice a day at times with cartridges, with the Slant, I could almost, but not quite, get away without shaving every day. That means there isn't much growth to clear the next day. So I have to really remember "go slow" and "no pressure."

if your considering a more aggressive razor, don't let those who say they aren't for beginners talk you out of it, just don't let your concentration lapse. You may find a better shave with less irritation.

The Slant's a nice tool. I agree that, once you have the basic hang of things, a more aggressive setup (with fewer passes) can be more effective/lead to less irritation, depending on your skin and beard.

I was only DE shaving a few months and bought a slant. It is still one of my favorite razors, and I only use it with feather blades.It really is a fine razor.Good Luck!

I think of the slant head razors as more efficient, not more aggressive. To me they are as mild as a Tech when it comes to razor burn and other nasties associated with razors that throw out a lot of blade.

Here is a head to head comparison of both Merkur slant head razors I did a while ago where I had an 8 pass shave with both slants (yea, 8 passes with a slant and lived to still post on B&B)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/301979-8-Pass-Shave-Using-2-Merkur-Slants

If you do a little skin stretching you will get an even closer shave and may be able to go that extra day without shaving

BLASPHEMY!!!! Shave every day even if you don't need to do so (whew....)

The Slant is a nice razor. It gives a very close shave indeed.
So close for me that I don't have to shave the next day.
Great shave, but not so fun. I like to shave every day!

I know! I never thought I'd actually enjoy shaving. Heck, I would procrastinate even getting in the shower. Now I pop right up to practice what I learned from the day before. Maybe I could feed some homeless people on the condition that they let me practice shaving them. My dog is lucky she's not shaved. I got my son using a DE but, of course, he wants to do it himself.

I've been DE shaving for just a month and have learned a LOT from threads such as these. However, can someone give me a clue to how I can 'use only the weight of the razor' when I'm going across and, especially, against the grain? Gravity wants to go in a different direction.

+1 on Taipan: I have the same question. Just bought the Merkur slant 37C and am thinking of breaking it in during the weekend (a working day's morning shave may not offer me enough time for this endeavor!) I am now using a Futur adjusted around 2.0 - 2.5 with only one pass WTG. Tried ATG for a 2nd pass and got small nicks, so I leave it only for weekend nights out ... :001_tongu
SO how does one shave ATG "with the razor's weight" ?

My first DE was the 37C! I picked up a 38 and my fist straight after researching razors last month; and subsequently joined this fine community.

I cannot use no pressure at all with the 37, or any razor for that matter. Everyone that tells you to just use the razor's weight is oversimplifying it. The true goal is comfort without digging into your face and lobbing off chunks of flesh. It's actually a matter of finding the right gliding motion, not scrapping, that most efficiently reduces the beard length (this can be just stubble). Combined with a solid preparation and a superlative lather, many will end up with a relaxing and satisfying shave.

If going ATG is simply not working for you then try coming at it from a slightly different angle. I cannot go directly ATG over the majority of my neck so I find a combination XTG/ATG angle is sufficient to get the results I expect.

The Merkur slants are efficient, and the head design almost forces you into the perfect blade angle. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
It is a bit of an expression rather than literally using zero pressure. What I mean by it is simply use the lightest touch while holding the razor at the proper angle. I use the lightest touch that still results in the sound and feel of the razor removing the beard, but absolutely no pressure beyond that

ocdlaw,

I'm juggling a straight in my rotation lately, and have been less then pleased with my progress, BUT I do get better shaves in areas where I do it right. Eventually, could be hundreds of shaves I'm told, I can foresee relegating all my DEs to a dusty shelf and keeping at it with a few of my favorite straights. You might want to give it a try.

The no pressure observations were more for post #10 and #11.

Cheers!

My only DE is the 37c and it's great, though I prefer it with Astra Platinums over Feathers. That said, I only use it infrequently, as most of my shaves are with a straight. They still give me the least number of ingrown hairs and less irritation than any other type of razor.

I fear the straight is way over my technical abilities. And not just the shaving. I lack the ability to strop or hone.

Top Bottom