What's new

Soap Storage Solutions Research. Grundtal Stackability? Truly Air & Scent tight?

Lock-N-Lock rounds -- which I generally can find at Chinese or Korean markets for a dollar or two.

Some interesting rounds are:

• HPL 931 89 mm dia x 43 mm high, 100 ml,
  • HPL 934 101 mm dia x 44 mm high, 140 ml -- tightly, but comfortably fits a hockey puck -- 3" dia x 1" thick (76 mm dia x 25 mm)
  • HPL 932 115 mm dia x 55 mm high, 300 ml

They use a gasket and the locking tabs are easy to manage, even with slippery fingers. We use the line extensively for food storage and run them through the dishwasher without ill effect.

You might be able to still find stock of the "crystal clear" acrylic ones, which seem to have disappeared after BPA awareness increased. (Looks like they have a new line, the "LBF" prefix, which seems to be similar, but claimed to be "bisfree" now.)

Last edited:
wow, nice OCD...

I use the AH bowls with plastic lids and they work for me but take up a little too much space, so I'm changing my storage but have taken a different tack on the procurement side. rather than spend money buying new containers, I've decided to outsource the it to all my female relatives. They're saving all their lotion/creme/makeup containers for me. My requirements were basically hockey-puck shaped, bigger than a carmex, smaller than a big mac, screw-on lid preferred. I will have a pile for the summer reunion.

Sort them out and a few minutes with the Brother P-Touch for labels and I'll be set.

I have Ikea cabinets which were installed by the previous owner. I do not recommend them; I estimate they're less than 10 yrs old but warped, scratched, ill-fitting. I do like the handy innards like a lazy Susan and such though.

For easy to uses easy to stack soap dishes these are the cat's pajamas.

Lock-ups brand. The base of the bowl twists into the lid of another bowl so they lock together in a stack. I only have a couple of them as I now keep my soaps in the manufacturers bowl with the brand label on it instead of in aftermarket containers

proxy.php

Nice containers, but yeah, I'sm with Turtle, that's why I paid extra for the Mike's tins.

I use the same lock-up containers but I prefer smaller samples of soaps/creams so I buy the small 1.5oz containers to save space and so that I can burn through samples quicker. The smaller ones are a little harder to load from they work for me.

I find the metal tins look better, but they don't stack as well and slide around too much for my liking.

I use the ikea tin's, they stack great after the magnet is removed from the bottom of them, they are a bit wobbly if you leave the magnet on.

It's only stuck on with double sided tape, easily removed with a screwdriver in seconds.

Last edited:
I have the anchor hocking 8oz bowls with the green lids. They work fine and stack well. Lids stay on securely enough. I have the Pyrex bowls with the blue lids and they work as well. The lids are a little tight at first but stretch out after a while. The Pyrex also stacks well. I was at Ikea last week to check the Grundtals. The price is now $7.99 for three. The plexiglass lid is slightly domed so stacking is an issue.

Of these three I would say the Grundtals are the classiest to me. They are also stainless steel so should not rust as easily as tins. However, if I had to pick one it would be the Anchor Hocking. I got six for under $7 with Amazon Prime. (I have no idea how much the Pyrex bowls were since they were sitting unused in the back of my kitchen drawer. Too small for food storage so they were never use. I just stumbled upon them one day right after I had ordered the Anchor Hocking.

Last edited:
Ronnie, I use the round plastic Ziploc bowls with the snap on lids. they are inexpensive and they stack nicely.

Clayton

I have the Anchor Hocking 1-cup glass bowls with blue lids, and have no issues with ill-fitting lids, and as far as I can tell, they are airtight.

Now that I have a gaggle of naked, exuberantly fragranced pucks of soap (in ziplock bags), my bathroom smells, as one friend describes, like a French whorehouse. (My one experience in a French whorehouse in Marseilles -- an accident, I swear! it was indistinguishable from any other trashy harbor-side flophouse -- probably would have benefited from some more shaving soap, but that story is perhaps better left to another forum....)

My leading contenders are below. Ikea Grundtal kitchen spice tins are a popular leading contender. But, I've read one or two posts mentioning that they may not stack so well, which is a concern. Does anyone have any experience they can share? I'm also looking for true scent-sealing. Do the Grundtals actually provide a complete air and scent seal?

Hi, BarbaGnosa
Sorry I'm a bit late to this party, but I'd like to address some of your points, to whit:
(1) "... indistinguishable from any other trashy harbor-side flophouse..." Are we to assume that you are speculating, or have you experience with more than just the one in Marseilles <big silly grin>??
(2) "... Ikea Grundtal tins ... But, I've read one or two posts mentioning that they may not stack so well ..." I would like to offer this:

$To Post.jpg

This is a stack of 6 Grundtal's being tipped to one side by a small mint tin. Still stable.

(3) "... Do the Grundtals actually provide a complete air and scent seal?..." I cannot say for certain that they are airtight, but they are certainly "snug", and I have not noticed any aroma from them once the lid is on.

Again, sorry for being a tad late on the thread, but I only got the Grundtal's this year (2016), so I probably would not have spotted the thread before now. Since they are only about USD8.00 for a 3-pack, perhaps buy some and try them?

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I got my dozen Lock-Ups on Sunday (thanks, Amazon!) and love 'em. They fit shave soap like they were made for it, stack, are see-through, seemingly air-tight ... and I retired my (rusting) soap-maker's tins.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lock-Ups in action:

Soaps under control ... shave den out of control:

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom