What's new

ATG Question

Mornin' Gents,

I haven't attempted an ATG pass yet in my straight shaving endeavors. I always struggled with it when using a DE, as I felt there was a lot of resistance when going in that direction. Can you ATG-ers comment on how this feels when using a straight? Is it as smooth as a WTG or XTG stroke? Do you feel any resistance?

Thanks,
Don

Depends on the slickness of my lather. If it's too dry, my razor may catch. Is that your "resistance"? If the lather is right, the directions feel thee same. I find that stretching the skin is especially important ATG.

i personally stretch the skin and keep the razor almost flat against my face when going ATG, when your get good and confident with it you can hardly feel it :thumbup:

With a good lather you shouldn't feel much resistance. Any that you do feel should be normal. Pressure has a lot to do with it, and very light pressure is whats needed. I should say very light too just about none. Its important to keep that blade moving, and not go too slow.

Less pressure results in less stubble for me. Even if you skip over a little and go over the same spot again without relathering. I been using a slicing stroke last couple weeks. Improving daily.

To me it feels like there's a bit more resistance, mostly under my throat/chin. However small confident strokes take care of it. And lots of stretching as well...
I believe I feel more resistance simply because there's more stubble left...probably because going WTG on some troublesome areas (underneath jawline as well) didn't remove as much stubble as in the other spots.

To me it feels like there's a bit more resistance, mostly under my throat/chin. However small confident strokes take care of it. And lots of stretching as well...
I believe I feel more resistance simply because there's more stubble left...probably because going WTG on some troublesome areas (underneath jawline as well) didn't remove as much stubble as in the other spots.

i like the throat ATG in longer broader strokes, so there goes my advice "against the grain" as well. it never ends for me it appears.

Top Bottom