Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Does MWF fit into an Old Spice Mug?

  1. #1

    Default Does MWF fit into an Old Spice Mug?

    Does Mitchell's Wool Fat fit into a Shapton Old Spice mug, or does it need to be trimmed or grated?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,658
    Images
    42

    Default

    Think it's too big and may need a trim or squashing in

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,476
    Images
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FaPat5 View Post
    Think it's too big and may need a trim or squashing in
    +1 I had to modify my puck to fit my OS mug

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6875.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	327783
    Last edited by seanusa; 04-20-2013 at 01:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Willamette Valley
    Posts
    5,241
    Images
    66

    Default

    You can use a vegetable peeler to pare down the diameter of the puck. Just drop in the shavings before the puck and you'll be golden.
    -Jeremy (really it's okay to refer to me as Jeremy instead of jkh)

    Of course it's dark, it's a suicide note.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Sean, that picture of yours brings a smile to my face. Nice setup.
    [Nick] - "A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on." -JFK

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    421

    Default

    MWF needs to be kept moist for best results, the ceramic container that comes with it is perfect for that as it keeps it moist but it's not airtight so it can still breathe.
    If you keep it open it can dry out and crack, it still works but you have to load longer or sprinkle a few drops of water on top of it before taking a shower.
    The same goes for most hard tallow soaps like Tabac.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis In
    Posts
    935
    Images
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWilliams40 View Post
    Does Mitchell's Wool Fat fit into a Shapton Old Spice mug, or does it need to be trimmed or grated?
    Yup it should. But I like the its original dish it come in.
    I never met a beer I didn't drink. Even if it was only once.

  8. #8
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkh View Post
    You can use a vegetable peeler to pare down the diameter of the puck. Just drop in the shavings before the puck and you'll be golden.
    Thanks. Sounds like a plan...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, US
    Posts
    110
    Images
    4

    Default

    Have to ask, is that a Commodore 2 or 3?

    Quote Originally Posted by seanusa View Post
    +1 I had to modify my puck to fit my OS mug

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6875.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	327783
    Michael

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,476
    Images
    21

    Default

    Its an X3, and to keep my puck moist I just pour a little water in the mug while my brush soaks and pour it off before I load, works every time

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost in the lather
    Posts
    17,903
    Images
    33

    Default

    Good to know. I'll keep the old veggie peeler handy
    SSB - LEMS - BOTOC - AOM - KOVT - VSOP - RSVP - BYOB - HTH - ARKO & VEG CHOSEN - YMMV

    Mick - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

    If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Willamette Valley
    Posts
    5,241
    Images
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWilliams40 View Post
    Thanks. Sounds like a plan...
    Make the puck smaller than the OS mug as MWF tends to expand quite a bit. The puck is a fair bit smaller than the MWF ceramic dish, but expands to be a snug fit after a week or so.
    -Jeremy (really it's okay to refer to me as Jeremy instead of jkh)

    Of course it's dark, it's a suicide note.

  13. #13

    Default

    I trimmed mine with a pocket knife and used my espresso tamper to press the shavings back on top. All of my soaps are in OS mugs. Most have to be trimmed and a couple had to be grated. Love my OS mugs.



    Ronnie

  14. #14

    Default

    Ronnie,
    Excellent use of real estate.
    Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpster View Post
    I trimmed mine with a pocket knife and used my espresso tamper to press the shavings back on top. All of my soaps are in OS mugs. Most have to be trimmed and a couple had to be grated. Love my OS mugs.



    Ronnie
    What do you use for lids on your OS mugs?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cambodia with CONUS address
    Posts
    1,211
    Images
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puerco View Post
    MWF needs to be kept moist for best results, the ceramic container that comes with it is perfect for that as it keeps it moist but it's not airtight so it can still breathe.
    If you keep it open it can dry out and crack, it still works but you have to load longer or sprinkle a few drops of water on top of it before taking a shower.
    The same goes for most hard tallow soaps like Tabac.
    The only soaps I don't do this with are croaps, like RazoRock or QCS. Boiling water from an electric kettle works like magic with ARKO and glycerin soaps. Since MWF has lanolin in it, and that's the secret to its success, use warm water so it doesn't kill the lanolin.
    ~Matt "Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard and believe in yourself."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM
  2. SOAP FS: Old Spice mugs WITH Old Spice refill pucks! Gillette New
    By Gray Wolf in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 08:25 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 09:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.