What's new

Wm. Neumann & Co. aftershave samples review

After an enjoyable time reviewing the aftershave samples from eBarbershop, I thought I would spring for the sampler pack of aftershaves from Wm. Neumann & Co. The pack includes a sample of each of their eight aftershaves. In general, I would say these are somewhat sophisticated scents, with lots of notes that make them interesting, though somewhat hard to pin down sometimes. As an aftershave these do a great job of soothing and moisturizing the skin, though they do contain a good bit of alcohol.

Here's my take:

1907 Signature - This was one of my least favorite scents. Very sweet and a bit fruity, which makes sense given that the major fragrance notes are "apple and plum brandy." Not bad, but not for me.

1911 - This one tied for my favorite. An old-fashioned barbershop quality, crisp, masculine, a little powdery, with definite notes of sandalwood and rosemary. Not an aggressive scent, but it lingered for several hours.

Absolute Zero - Their newest scent. A very cooling dose of menthol, with some citrus thrown in for good measure. Of these eight scents, this one seemed the closest to a cologne. Classy and musky.

Bay Rum - A fairly subtle bay rum, closer to something like Gilbert Henry rather than Captain's Choice. I suppose if you're not familiar with either of those brands that description won't mean much, but that's the best way I can describe it. Subtle, with not much staying power.

Heartwood - This is the one that tied with 1911 for my favorite. A subtle pipe-tobacco quality with notes of whiskey and leather. This one projected more than any of the others and also seemed to have the most staying power. For those reasons I might give it a slight edge over 1911.

Old-Fashioned Soda - I liked this one more than I thought I would, but it definitely evoked a sarsaparilla soda.

Peppermint Clove - Another cooling aftershave, though not as much as Absolute Zero. My first impression was that I smelled like a Peppermint Paddy or Girl Scout Thin Mint, but that eventually gave way to a very nice cedar quality. Just not sure I liked going through the Thin Mint phase to get there.

Lime and Mint Rum - The lime comes across first, and that gives way to the grassy quality of the mint. An interesting scent, but also kind of quiet, without much staying power.

Great review! Thank you for putting your thoughts together. I have never tried any of these, but the Wm. Neumann & Co. brand has attracted my attention here and there. I rather enjoy their packaging and presentation. From your descriptions, I'd probably enjoy your two favorites (1911 and Heartwood) the most as well. I'm not big on sweet, fruity scents..... or bay rums either. The Lime and Mint sounds kind of good as well. Thanks again!

Ben

I think the WM Neumann splashes are some of the best to be had. While I haven't tried the Absolute Zero, I concur with you on the description of the other scents. The 1911 is my favorite, a classic masculine aftershave with great staying power.

The Peppermint Clove is a little too clove heavy for me, but is still a very nice splash.

The 1911 will remain a staple in my den.

Also went through the sampler pack and agree that the 1911 and Heartwood are very nice. Bay Rum struck me as being pure clove, which is okay if that's what one is looking for.

I just got my sample of WM Nuemann and CO. They are fantastic. I have fallen in love with the Lime and Mint Rum. It doesn't smell fake like a lot of other Lime scents. It smooths everything out and works beautifully. If they had this in a cologne I'd get it in a heart beat. I haven't tried the others because I love this scent so much. The 1911 and Peppermint/ Clove scents probably are my favorites smells after the Lime and Mint Rum which is perfect for the summer coming up.

their shaving mug looks quite nice too. Does anyone have/use one?
proxy.php

The Line & Mint Rum is wonderful. Lasts over 3 hours on me.

thanks Littlemax, spring will be here shortly then summer, so I'm already shopping for my summer scents, and lime was near the top of the list; and this sounds like it might be the one to try.

I guess not too many use Wm. Neumann & Company shaving products. Would probably help if they were available at West Coast Shaving, Bullgoose & Old Town Shaving and the like....

I tried the pre-shave oil, creme and soap. The pre-shave oil is very thick and gums up razor and brush. The creme dries out to fast and in general I didn't like the products. Gave them to my son-in-law and he says they are ok but not top of the line for what you pay. Did like there body soap.

I absolutely LOVE 1907 and 1911. 1907 has a fruity type of tone, and 1911 smells like a classic cologne to me - I ordered bottles of both. I also really like the Limes & Mint. Glad I ordered the sampler to try everything though, I didn't care for a few.

The skincare qualities are also absolutely astoundingly good, so much so I noticed my skin complexion improve - The price is steep at $30 a bottle though...but in the end I can't say enough about them, they are great AS's.

Last edited:
I use their shave soap (1911) along with the 1911 after shave and I love both! It's probably the best glycerin soap I've used It has plenty of slickness with a great coconut oil base. I actually like it better than Mike's Natural soap which I consider to be my favorite tallow based soap. And yes I own a WM Neumann shave mug and it is every bit as awesome as its picture depicts! On another positive note...their customer service is unbelievably good. Shipping is super fast and although they don't have to do this...they send a free gift product of some kind on every orderI place. It would be wise to give these great products a try!

Last edited:
Top Bottom