What's new

Maglite with LED

I saw in the store the other day a D cell Maglite with LED already in it. I added an LED to a C cell one I keep in my truck & it leaves everything to be desired. Does anyone happen to know how bright the D cell one is?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I have one that is several years old and it is ok, but not great. I would expect the new ones to be better, but how much I can't say.

The Maglite 2D cell with a Krypton bulb has an output of 36.5 lumens. A TerraLUX LED upgrade bulb for a 2D Maglite is advertised as having 140 lumens output. The Maglite 2D LED flashlight is listed as having 134 lumens output. If you want to stick with a Maglite, then go with the AA LED models. They are advertised as having 226 and 245 lumens between the Pro and Pro+ models. All this information is available online. You may want to look it up especially if you're interested in beam distance instead of lumens.

I have some D-cell LED Maglites that I have never used, but I also have some AA-cell LED Maglites that I use and really like. These are the ones that came with LED bulbs, and not ones converted to LED bulbs.

I like the consistency of the light circle, with none of the dark areas like regular bulbs have.

I have a 2 cell and a 3 cell LED maglite. Got them at on a black friday sale at LOWES. (They usually have these on sale then) They're decent, though my Gerber Cornea is much much brighter. I like the heft of the mag lite and I have a few various models laying around the house for power outages. The 3 cell is pretty bright but again not as bright as some of the newer lights out there IMO. If you like the feel of the mag light, you can't beat the price point. Also the LED's don't chew through batteries like the old Kryton bulbs used to. (I carried a Krypton around working a security beat for a year or two). There are literally hundreds of modifications you can make to the LED Mag's too if you want, and they still are probably a better price than a similar size light.

Last edited:
I have a three D cell LED MAG and I think that it is great. I am not a light geek at all, I just need it for the occasional coon hunting session in my backyard.

The beam is nice and bright and will project far enough into the trees to see the critters and the reflection of eyes.

The price of the light was around $30 to $40 bucks when I bought it 3 years ago and I think it is a good value. I would buy one again if I lost it.

The one gripe that I have is that somehow I lost the rubber cover for the switch.

Unless you want it to double as a weapon the maglight XL50 is just as bright as my 2d mag led and a lot nicer to use with a tail switch high and low beam and a strobe. I also just got a fenix LD01 that IIRC is around 30 lumens on high runs of a AAA and smaller than a tube of chapstick. I would probably pick a different light than a mag light, there big cumbersom and out dated IMHO but YMMV of course.

I went ahead & ordered the terralux led. I'll be sure to post what I think of it when it arrives.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

No pictures yet but the difference between the Nite-ize LED & the Terralux LED is night & day! It is much brighter & the beam is adjustable whereas I couldn't adjust the beam on the other one. It is also less yellow then the xenon bulb.

Top Bottom