What's new

Update on entering the DE world

Welp....several of you know about my disappointing shaves since entering the DE world from some chatroom conversations. I got the best shave yet Friday night, but it still took me 40 minutes, and many, many passes to achieve it, which tends to irritate my skin after a while. Each night, I've gone into the shave with a "new, fresh start" attitude, and ended it being extremely frustrated and disappointed. I've been teetering on throwing in the towel, and going back to my Mach 3, and "canned goo". I know it will get better with time, but...the costs in time and money needed to perfect technique, experiment with different razors to find what works best for me, experiment with different blades, etc. neither appeals to me, nor seems worth it.

But today, my dad stopped by after work to "give me a few pointers", or see what I might be doing wrong. He brought his own razor with in case mine didn't cut it for him....literally. He took about 3 swipes with mine, realized it wasn't shaving jack, and tossed it aside in favor of his. With the first swipe, I could see the difference already. Keep in mind, we're both using the same, cheap-o Walmart Personna blades. Anyway, he did several passes with his, and after 3, plus some touch-ups on more stubborn spots, he had a super smooth shave.

SO.....then he told ME to try it with his razor. I wasn't looking forward to this, as the razor he uses is probably best for someone.....EXTREMELY experienced. But he talked me into it anyway. It was quite the nerve wrecking experience. Perhaps some pictures will explain why. I took a pic of the logo at the top, because I have no idea what brand this is. But the interesting part is the bottom of the TTO top. :tongue_sm

proxy.php

proxy.php

Comparison shots next to my Weishi
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, folks. For I don't know how many years, my dad has been using a TTO DE razor.....with no lower safety, and today, I got to try it as well. :ohmy: So the results. Well, with the very first swipe, it cleared off more hair than 3 or 4 passes with the Weishi. I didn't get TOO close of a shave, mostly because I was afraid of pressing my luck with an open blade. While I did get a few extremely tiny nicks when going against the grain on my left cheek area on the last pass, much to my surprise, I didn't really cut myself. It did seem to "pull" the hair a bit, even though the blade was brand new. I assume this is because the blades aren't very good? It did also irritate my face a hell of a lot more than the Weishi had, even though I only did 3 passes with it. No amount of lather was easing the tugging or the irritation. Regardless of the less than comfortable and nervous experience, it did give me a very different perspective on what's going on during the shave, and how much of a difference the extra exposure of the blade can make. So perhaps I will give DE one more try with a more aggressive razor, after all. :biggrin1:

Dont give up. I am just a few shaves ahead of you.

And I also tried a Weishi. Not a huge fan. Went back to the Merkur Slant, which I would highly recommend. Worked great for me.

Hench

J

Jarmo P

It looks SCARY !!! :eek:
Would not trust the blade stays there or to be taut enough for a shave, nevermind that there is no safety bar. That is I guess closest for a straight razor I have seen having a standard safety razor look from afar

What curves the blade? You cant tell me that the handle alone will curve the entire blade to a good cutting angle, right?

Hench

Mate, if you can get a half-decent shave with THAT! you're virtually guaranteed to master this zen-like art in the very near future. Glad you persevered. No way back from here.

Cheers

Jeremy

Wow. You basically shaved yourself with a Shavette with a handle.

If you liked the shave, I would just buy an old Tech (they're cheap and your dad's razor seems to be a knock off of one) and remove the safety bar. That way you can at least have the bottom part of the razor supporting the blade. Or just Dremel off one of the safety bars from your Weishi.

Side note, before you toss out the Weishi, realize that it takes a bit of time to appreciate its personality. Its super gentle. The cutting angle is fairly small so its forgiving if you mess up. That said, to get a quick close shave with a Weishi you must:

1 - Better your technique and try to hit the Weishi sweet spot. If you miss, its no big deal since you won't get punished by the razor.

2 - Get a more aggressive blade like the Feather.

Good luck

why not go to ebay or the shaving mall on this forum and buy a gillette slim adjustable or a super speed or something. superspeeds are like $10.

I don't see why you have to torture yourself with a Weishi and a guardless crazy razor.:confused:

Dont give up. I am just a few shaves ahead of you.

And I also tried a Weishi. Not a huge fan. Went back to the Merkur Slant, which I would highly recommend. Worked great for me.

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration after I exhaust all blade combinations with the Weishi.

tugging= lather that isn't quite wet enough?

I don't know. That shave was the wettest I've had the lather. I think it was just a combination of weak blades, and the less than stable set-up of the razor.

It looks SCARY !!! :eek:
Would not trust the blade stays there or to be taut enough for a shave, nevermind that there is no safety bar. That is I guess closest for a straight razor I have seen having a standard safety razor look from afar

What curves the blade? You cant tell me that the handle alone will curve the entire blade to a good cutting angle, right?

Oh, I'm sure it wasn't the idle angle or stability for a good shave. Sure did make pay extra attention, though. :mellow:

Can anyone tell him (and me) what kind of razor that is? I like the design of the grooves on the handle.

Yeah, definitely curious myself, but I doubt anyone's going to know it. It's probably some off-brand, no-name razor.

Damn, now I know what that reminded me of. Blackstangal posted pics of this last night. Its basically the same thing you used, but with the blade held from the bottom rather than the top.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34266

Now THAT looks scary. :ohmy: Though at least that one was set-up to be used that way. :wink2:

why not go to ebay or the shaving mall on this forum and buy a gillette slim adjustable or a super speed or something. superspeeds are like $10.

I don't see why you have to torture yourself with a Weishi and a guardless crazy razor.:confused:

Well, I'm new to DEs, so I didn't realize using a Weishi would be torturing myself. I haven't even had it 2 weeks, yet. The guard-less one is not mine to use. My dad just wanted to show me how his razor worked. As for picking up another razor, there are a couple problems. First, like I mentioned in my original post, I didn't really go into this realizing it would become a complicated fiasco of trying a dozen razors, a dozen blades, etc. I thought any combination of DE and blade would beat out a Mach 3, but that apparently isn't so. This is a huge part of the reason I was disappointed, and started thinking "this just isn't for me", and wanting to go back to the Mach 3. Second, being I'm mildly O/C, I'm not big on buying used stuff. I'm kind of a freak with keeping things looking and functioning like new for as long as possible, so I like to have a fresh start with everything I buy. If I got a different razor, it would have to be something new. Also, I've read several times on here that adjustables are not a good choice for n00bs, on account of the urge to crank it up.

Anyhow, not ready to throw in the towel just yet, so I'm going to start by getting a sample pack of blades, and trying those all out on the Weishi first. We'll go from there as to what I decide to do next.

Well, I was going to second the Gillette Tech idea, but your O/C might create a problem.

Here is a bit more info about your Dad's razor anyway.

First, his is not a TTO. TTO means "twist to open" and it refers to the razors that have the sort of silo doors opening at the top. Your Dad's razor appears to be a "three piece" razor like a Tech that is missing a piece. He is just not using the guard.

The problem is I don't know if anyone still makes a three piece razor new.

Now, brooklynlou mentioned that you basically used a shavette with a T handle. He's right! You just used a DE blade to shave with, without the use of a safety bar, and you didn't murder yourself. You might consider purchasing one of the Sanguine replacable blade straights as this would give you a brand new handle for your DE blades. You've already droved you can use one without a safety bar.

Sick day, so forgive the verbosity. I got time to kill ...

Originally Posted by guitarslinger

I don't see why you have to torture yourself with a Weishi and a guardless crazy razor.

Second that. Get a Merkur Progress or Gillette adjustable and dial the aggressiveness up (or down) to whatever you feel comfortable with. That guardless razor is an accident waiting to happen.

Originally Posted by Anomaly
Well, I'm new to DEs, so I didn't realize using a Weishi would be torturing myself. I haven't even had it 2 weeks, yet.

As for the Weishi, it'll shave all right - its just a SAFETY safety razor :biggrin:. Which is why its great for beginners. Practice on your leg hair and you'll see what I mean. The trick is to find the right blade angle. Until you find the right angle, you could be passing thing that thing across your face for hours and it won't do a thing - and thats not a bug, thats a feature.

As for picking up another razor, there are a couple problems. First, like I mentioned in my original post, I didn't really go into this realizing it would become a complicated fiasco of trying a dozen razors, a dozen blades, etc. I thought any combination of DE and blade would beat out a Mach 3, but that apparently isn't so.

Time to whip out my favorite Yogi Berra quote ... "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is"

Razors and blades have 'personalities'. Some blades are sharper than others. Some razors have a bigger shaving angle than others (known as aggressiveness). Your face has its own personality as well.

Thats one of the reasons that people recommend that beginners get the blade sampler pack so they can find out which blade is best for their face. For example, Derby's and Feathers are too sharp for me and irritate my face. Dorco's and Merkur's are just right for me. For someone else, trying to shave with a Merkur blade is the equivalent of using a butter knife. YMMV.

For your beard, maybe a sharper blade like a Derby or a Feather may do the trick with your Weishi.

This is a huge part of the reason I was disappointed, and started thinking "this just isn't for me", and wanting to go back to the Mach 3. Second, being I'm mildly O/C, I'm not big on buying used stuff. I'm kind of a freak with keeping things looking and functioning like new for as long as possible, so I like to have a fresh start with everything I buy. If I got a different razor, it would have to be something new. Also, I've read several times on here that adjustables are not a good choice for n00bs, on account of the urge to crank it up.

Nothing wrong with wanting something new. Merkur makes great adjustable razors (The Progress is practically a work of art). Just remember that technique (how you do it) plays a big role in DE shaving. There's a learning curve involved. If you do it 'wrong' you'll either get a crappy stubbly shave or cut yourself. Thats why people recommend the Weishi to beginners. if you screw up with a Weishi, you'll just get a crappy shave but not get sliced up. Eventually you'll have your 'Aha' moment, and things will click into place. See the thread below ...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31179&highlight=weishi

Anyhow, not ready to throw in the towel just yet, so I'm going to start by getting a sample pack of blades, and trying those all out on the Weishi first. We'll go from there as to what I decide to do next.

Excellent plan.

Top Bottom