What's new

Feathers aren't sharp enough?

...Are there any blades that are sharper than feather? If so which ones?
I do not know any other blades that would be sharper than Feather, anyway not that sharper that I could feel a difference. I find Gillette 7O'Clock SharpEdge to be very close or as sharp as Feather. Unfortunately they are nearly as expensive.
If Feather does not perform well for you (well enough to justify the price) chose another one from your sample pack. You did buy a sample pack, didn't you?

I don't think my technique is the problem. I just happen to have incredibly tough stubble around my chin. Secondly, I use the green Gillette seven o'clock blades and they give me an excellent shave. They are pretty forgiving yet pretty sharp at the same time. I get a close shave on my face, yet there is still some slight roughness on my chin but minor.

Kai blades are sharper and smoother than Feathers in my book. However, certain areas of my face and especially my neck and under chin were difficult to get a BBS no matter what blade-razor combination. I found that by using a short stroked J-hook technique in those areas, that the problem was solved.

I don't think my technique is the problem. I just happen to have incredibly tough stubble around my chin. Secondly, I use the green Gillette seven o'clock blades and they give me an excellent shave. They are pretty forgiving yet pretty sharp at the same time. I get a close shave on my face, yet there is still some slight roughness on my chin but minor.

ok, no problem, I am pleased that your technique is excellent. best of luck finding a blade sharper than a Feather. maybe you should use a slant, or a straight. if they fail then a lazer beam will be your only option. just kidding.

seriously though, a flat blade shaving a round object is always going to be difficult. I don't have especially tough whiskers but around the lips and chin is toughest on most guys, even on me. make sure your razor angle is perfect and your shaves will get better. two places where I tend get post shave roughness is the chin and top lip/corner of mouth.

when your shave isn't working you can't afford to assume that everything you are doing is faultless, you must go back and analyse every part of the shave. we all seem to think that it's the fault of the blade but it rarely is - moreoften it's a pressure, angle or prep/lather problem. keep your chin up!

Usually when people have problems of this kind is a technique problem. But when is the case of feather blade is not necessarily true.

Regarding Feather blade, I am in the exact same boat as you. I do however think is a combination of razor&blade problem, as for some reason, if you can't "attack" the hair under a certain shallow enough angle the blade edge will bend, becoming unusable. And that happens to me by the time I reach ATG pass in the first shave.

I need a certain combination of sharpness and forgiveness when it comes to razor blades, as anything that doesn't cut without pressure will force me "destroy" the blade, and anything too sharp or not as forgiving as I would like will cut my thin skin. I got a very unfortunate combination of thin skin and tough beard, making me really picky with blades. I also get very easy damage from blades that are not smooth.

What I think that will keep the edge "safe" for longer is to get a more aggressive attack angle, by using a razor that allows a shallower angle.
I would like to know what razor you are using with this blade, and also I would like to know if using a razor that allows a shallower angle makes any difference in your case.

And is not only my case, my uncle and my grandfather had the exact same problem as me, as I gave them this blade for test as they are still using DE razors. Their result was that "this blade is just not able to keep its edge, but indeed seems sharp". But I can't be sure since no one can prove it. Long story short, I can't use this sharp blade, no matter how much I would like to be able to.

The only 3 blades so far that I actually asked myself if they are or not sharper then feather are:
- Super-Max Sunrise - too rough for me but extremely sharp
- Personna Lab (super). - cleanest cut ever
- Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge. - too unforgiving for me

Last edited:
All the above advice is excellent. There is no blade sharper IMHO. I would start with prep. The Feather is my favorite blade and I use it in every razor I own (DE). If I only do a splash of water and then lather my shave after three or four passes will be CCS. If I take the time to prep properly it's DFS-BBS in two or three passes. Also someone above mentioned keeping the strokes very short on the problem areas. I feel with excellent prep your shaves will be much more satisfying with a greater variety of blades. I think sometimes we are trying to hurry and get to the fun part of shaving and spend too little time softening the beard.

Proper prep will make small mistakes with technique and blade choices more forgiving I think.

Last edited:
I have the same chin-shaving problem, despite excellent prep (shower, hot moist towels, hot water, 3+ minutes face lathering with very nice soaps and brushes), excellent blades (mainly Gillette Yellows, Perma-sharp Supers, and Feathers), and lots of patient, short strokes and buffing from various angles. I've come realize that this is why so many men let their chin hair grow; I myself wore a beard for 40+ years. I also realize that, as one poster mentioned, moving to a more aggressive razor (in my case, from an EJ) is probably the answer. I've decided, though, that I'll gladly stick with enjoyable, non-irritating shaves at the expense of a bit of stubble on the chin.

Top Bottom