What's new

RazoRock Little Bastone Open Comb = best value in DE razors (Also Cadet OC)

I have read a lot of good things about the RazoRock/Cadet open comb razors. RazoRock being marketed by the ItalianBarber.com and Cadet marketed by ShaveAbuck.com. These razors are inexpensive, made in India units that boast very good production quality (for a sub $30 razor they often beat Merkur in that department).

I have been moving towards open comb steadily. I also have been increasing the aggressiveness of the OC's I try. I started with Merkur 41, which was way too mild for me. Then I tried Gillette New long and short combs. I ended up liking the Long comb and feeling that short comb is too mild. I also have and really like Gillette Big Fellow with a New Improved head. Now I decided to try the RazoRock Little Bastone OC, which sells for amazing $20 at IB. When I got it I noticed a few rough spots in the top plate that were left there before chrome plating. Chrome on this razor is outstanding. At least as good as Merkur, maybe better. The handle of the Little Bastone is very nice. It's the short handle and a bit thicker than a ball end tech with lots of knurling and is very comfortable. The balance of the razor is a bit towards the head, but not bad at all.

Now for the shave. WOW! This is definitely the most aggressive OC razor I tried and I was a bit worried, but my worries were completely unfounded. This thing shaves like a dream! It is aggressive, no doubt about it, but it's very well behaved. I used it here and there when I first got it and I did pair the RR OC head with Ikon bulldog handle, which made the razor even better and balanced a bit lower from the head. I still used my Gillette OC (New LC and NI) and my Progress and at that point I had a vintage Merkur Slant that I enjoyed, but again and again I got better shaves with the RR OC. At this point I have been using that razor exclusively just because I get such great results with it.

I like it so much I have now ordered a Cadet OC just to have a backup. I got rid of the slant, New SC, Old and the Merkur OC. None of them shave anywhere near the RR/Cadet OC. Just wanted to share my experience. I hope more budget minded people try this razor because this is the perfect item for those who actually want to save money on shaving ;) Even if you don't, give this razor a try. You may be surprised. I do not have experience with the safety bar version of this razor, only open comb. Wonderful razor. Inexpensive, good wuality and one of the best DE head designs I have tried.

Last edited:
2nd time today with the wall of text. I don't know if you are meaning to do this, ( maybe you're using an off site to post ) but it's very difficult to read one big sentence. You will get a lot more responses if your post are easy to read.

I do like the razorock, cadet and fatip for their value.

No offense meant, but DUDE! You have GOT to break that text up somehow if you want other people to read it!:confused2

I'm intrigued by the TTO razor they are selling, also for $20. It is supposed to be entirely made of brass with a chrome finish. Sounds great. I've heard it's on the aggressive side. Not to say that's a bad thing.

I found the RR OC to be a little too aggressive for my tastes. It even turned my smooth Persona Reds into a scary blade :) Nonetheless it was a very well made razor, and an amazing value.

I'm intrigued by the TTO razor they are selling, also for $20. It is supposed to be entirely made of brass with a chrome finish. Sounds great. I've heard it's on the aggressive side. Not to say that's a bad thing.

I tried Cadet TTO and it's a good razor. For a TTO. For some reason I became disenchanted with the TTO razors. At first I loved them and had quite a few Super Speeds, Cadet, Red Tip. However I realized I just did not like the way the blade vibrates in them. It's a totally YMMV thing. I got rid of all my TTOs including Cadet, but Cadet TTO is a very good razor. It's large.

dont like the handle on that one. id rather wait for the bastone.

Got ya. I use Ikon handle on mine, so I am just after the head. the bastone handle is excellent, just not as thick as the Ikon and I love a thick handle. I wish they had a nickel plated version. I like that more than chrome.

The Cadet/RR OC head is a great shaver. I find them aggressive, but smooth and easy for a result. It is my go-to razor when I want an aggressive shave. Great value for sure.

I have the Pearl SSH-01 (same razor, different name), and I find it a little on the aggressive side for daily use. I can get a great shave with it, but I don't really *enjoy* using it day-in-day-out.

I have the Pearl SSH-01 (same razor, different name), and I find it a little on the aggressive side for daily use. I can get a great shave with it, but I don't really *enjoy* using it day-in-day-out.

I was the same way for a while. Just could not use it every shave. After some time, though I realized I get the best shaves from it. I shave every other day to avoid irritation, so I started using the RR OC every shave and it's just the closest, smoothest shaver I got.

Also known as the PEarl SSH-01 here in blighty. Smoother than a Fatip Grande and cheaper. I prefer it to my Fatip.

Hiya!,
I have an RR TTO and the shaver is a good mildly aggressive one. The finish is great and the weight lets the head do the work and no pot metal. A good buy.

I bought the RR Lil Bastone about the same time I had the Mergress delivered. I keep going back to the RR even though I love the Mergress. So nice to have choices. It'd be tough to have to give up either of these tools

I bought the RR Lil Bastone about the same time I had the Mergress delivered. I keep going back to the RR even though I love the Mergress. So nice to have choices. It'd be tough to have to give up either of these tools

Before I bought the RR Little Bastone OC my vintage gold Progress pretty much ruled and I began to divest myself of other safety bar razors. After I tried RR OC it took me a few weeks to put it into regular duty. Progress is so darned good (same as Mergress for those who do not know) that it was really difficult to choose RR over it, but RR OC gave me a closer shave EVERY time. In fact I don't even remember when was the last time I used the Progress. I really need to revisit it because it is a fantastic shaver.

The Cadet OC model TP-01SS is a good razor for the money. Brass handle and Zinc alloy head. The top piece on mine has a slight defect. The threaded piece is slightly tilted so it makes the whole head slightly tilted. I guess I can live with it.
It is a nice looking razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom