What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L or Merkur 38C "Barberpole"

Edwin Jagger DE89L or Merkur 38C Barberpole?

• Edwin Jagger DE89L

• Merkur 38C Barberpole

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm trying to decide between the Edwin Jagger DE89L and the Merkur 38C Barberpole razors? Which one do you think is better? Materials, durability, rust resistance, etc.? Thanks.

They are both considered very good razors. IMHO, the Edwin Jagger DE89 series has a beautiful chrome job - much, much better than Merkur. Beyond that, they have similar durabilty qualities.

At one time, I owned several Edwin Jagger DE89 razors and a couple of Merkur razors. Without question, my EJ razors were better made. BTW, you can get the Edwin Jagger DE 89 series in a plain handle, lined handle, or a barley chrome handle. I might suggest you stay away from the plain handle as it could get a bit slippery.

Hi KWilliams40, welcome to B&B!

While I definitely agree with Mendel's opinion of the EJ's superior finish, I didn't vote in your poll for 2 reasons:

1) Both of those razors are great and will offer a lifetime of shaving pleasure if not abused, and
2) The right razor for you is something only YOU can decide (or as we say here, YMMV [Your Mileage May Vary])

Which razor do YOU think would be better? That's the one you should spend your money on.:thumbup:

When you get a chance, please head over to our Hall of Fame and tell us all a bit more about yourself. There are links in my signature to areas of B&B of special interest to beginning shavers--perhaps you might like to have a look at them to help you decide on your razor. If you ever have questions or run into problems, don't hesitate to post them up. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and there's always someone around to offer advice or lend a hand.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaving, and once again, WELCOME!!

I'm trying to decide between the Edwin Jagger DE89L and the Merkur 38C Barberpole razors? Which one do you think is better? Materials, durability, rust resistance, etc.? Thanks.
Voted for Edwin Jagger

In my opinion, EJ DE89 is the best of the two, with excellent fit and finish, excellent balance, outstanding head geometry (that makes this razor mild but very effective), exceptional customer service.

Did I mention fit and finish? Best there is for a zinc alloy razor head. Edwin Jagger and Muehle. Best value, if zinc alloy is your thing.

Well I bought a Merkur Futur on impulse after watching a few videos on YouTube, but then started to think that maybe I should start with a non-adjustable DE razor first...

I have a Barber Pole, but not a Merkur. I use the handle sometimes, but not often.

Top Bottom