What's new

How do you disassemble a Gillette super speed

I was wondering how do you take apart a gillette super speed!
I have seen them apart is there a trick or a special tool to take them apart?

Jeff

Jeff

The Super Speeds up until late 1957 or early 1958 can be disassembled. They have a strange 4 sided nut, although I've also seen some three sided ones. The later versions have a crimped/pressed retainer and tend to rattle. There must be a source for the 4 sided tools somewhere? I'd like to repair a few myself.

Well I figured it out. After you have removed the screw wrap the knob with a rag, grip the knob with a pair of pliers with one hand grip the head in the other hand and turn counter clock wise this will push the head off the handle. Be careful that you don't damage the linkage. I had the link cover come off one side of my Blue tip. I'm going to slot the screws before I put them back on.
I'll post some pictures if there's any interest.
Bob.

Well I figured it out. After you have removed the screw wrap the knob with a rag, grip the knob with a pair of pliers with one hand grip the head in the other hand and turn counter clock wise this will push the head off the handle. Be careful that you don't damage the linkage. I had the link cover come off one side of my Blue tip. I'm going to slot the screws before I put them back on.
I'll post some pictures if there's any interest.
Bob.
I'd like to see pictures.... especially of how you modified the screwdriver to get the nut off.

Here's a picture of my red tip (C-4) and blue tip (A-2) disassembled. The only regular Superspeed I have is a later model (D-1) with a snap ring.
As you can see from the picture the blue tip separate at the head while the red tip separated where the top fitting meets the barrel. This is probably because the blue tip's handle is aluminum.
I shaped the screwdriver with the corner of the bench grinding wheel and finished it with a file. I'll slot the screws with a dremel when I put them back together.
Remember the screw has left handed threads, loosens clock wise.
Bob.
proxy.php

Awesome Bob,

I knew someone here would have the answer I adapted a 3/16 flathead screw driver but I did not know that the nut came off left hand that is a vital piece of the puzzle.Thanks for the photos as well

Jeff

Photos and how-to's always come in handy. Thanks for those who contributed. Just got a blue tip and took it apart! Just like ya'all said! Have good days!

I just picked up an A 4 blue tip at the flea market today. Can anybody tell me the year that carries the A designation? I've tried googling, etc., and for the life of me can't find the information, though I swear there's a link to a page somewhere, but now I don't find it. I've got the razor all cleaned up on the outside anyway, and look forward to using it soon. Anyway, I also like taking stuff apart and putting it back together, and fixing things that need fixing. Why would a guy want to take the razor apart? Now that Bob's shown us how, I still don't want to rush in and maybe do more damage than good. What should I do, once it's apart, so long as nothing's broken? Thanks, guys.

I recently acquired two 70's style SS razors. On one, the handle was nice but the silo doors were thrashed, on the other, the handle was ratty but the head was very nice.

I took them apart. The first one didn't survive my amateur efforts. I screwed up the razor while trying to get the handle off the head. I was more careful on #2, and gently tapped it apart.

I now have a 70's SS that is nice all around, and I'll likely keep it forever, as I can't see selling a "frankenrazor". I also ended up with a toy shaver for the boys, a razor with no silo doors.

A note on the 70's style superspeeds...there is no proprietary nut, just a retaining ring that is made out of wire. I had a deuce of a time getting them off (thanks to CoonCatBob for showing me the light) and getting it to go back on was worse. I did discover that a #6 Stainless Steel internal toothed lock washer makes a dandy retaining ring of just the right size.

I just picked up an A 4 blue tip at the flea market today. Can anybody tell me the year that carries the A designation? I've tried googling, etc., and for the life of me can't find the information, though I swear there's a link to a page somewhere, but now I don't find it. I've got the razor all cleaned up on the outside anyway, and look forward to using it soon. Anyway, I also like taking stuff apart and putting it back together, and fixing things that need fixing. Why would a guy want to take the razor apart? Now that Bob's shown us how, I still don't want to rush in and maybe do more damage than good. What should I do, once it's apart, so long as nothing's broken? Thanks, guys.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

Jeff

just wait 92 years after manufacturing for it to break...it may take longer though...happy waiting!!

Top Bottom