What's new

New gun added to my arsenal

Just purchased a new Remington R1 1911 chambered in 45acp. I pimped it up a little bit with some rosewood grips with the "R" logo and embellished the slide logo with some white nail polish I stole from wife. I've put about 300 rounds through it so far with no problems. It's an absolute pleasure to shoot and even though 45 ammo is little pricey, at least I can find in my local shops. I can't say the same about 9mm around here!

Attachments

• $photo.jpg
    $photo.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 212
I just picked up a new gun also. I went with the Glock 19. Going to use it as a conceal/carry piece after I get my permit this summer.
$IMG_1254.jpg

Always wanted one of these. I rented one at a range and was impressed with the level of accuracy and ease of use.

Accuracy? First time I fired it... and the first time I had ever fired a 1911, and the first time in a few years I had fired anything but 9mm or .38spl.

$45-fmj-48rds-2.jpg

That's 12 yards, 48 rounds. Pattern was 2 to the chest, one to the head, so my aim point was changed at least 16 times plus mag changes.

I see your Armscor Old Slabsides and raise you a Norinco. Chinese or not, it's one of the best shooting 1911's I've ever put my mitts on.

Norinco put out some very good quality guns.. compared to the Soviet designs that were reliable as hell but so simple a caveman could build one... and the accuracy showed that.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The 1911 is my absolute favorite handgun type. And there are so many variations... compact/subcompact, high cap, bushingless, yadda yadda. But the basic design to me is very intuitive. I don't have to think about things like the thumb safety. (I have to qualify with 9mm and it is just retarded to have a thumb safety that sweeps up instead of down, and other details) Normal carry is cocked with the thumb safety on (and there is a grip safety and in most modern ones, a trigger safety) so every shot, including the first one, is from a light, short trigger squeeze. Some folks don't like that, but if I pull mine out, that means I am probably more concerned that it does fire accurately than that it fires inadvertently. A full size one is a pleasure to shoot all day but it still hits hard. A pocket gun like the Paraordinance P-10 is a wild rockin little gun but packs a lot of firepower in a small package. The round is a favorite of experts and professionals world-wide. What's not to like?

Norinco according to some makes some crap and according to others some pretty decent guns. Their M14 clone is okay but you really need to be diligent about cleaning and running an oily patch through the bore after shooting, cause they get eat up pretty quick. Norinco's real saving grace is they are cheap enough that someone who can't afford a big name brand gun can get something very similar that will shoot, and usually shoot pretty good. I expect to see their quality increase as the years go by. Initial offerings by Norinco were the absolute pits, apparently. I heard their SKS was garbage at one time, but lately I heard it was pretty good except for the plastic parts, and fit n finish. And some have a free floating triangular firing pin that can jam in the forward position and inadvertantly fire the cartridge as the bolt slams home, and these should be fitted with a spring loaded firing pin. I fired one once, and it was a very comfortable gun to shoot, very reasonable recoil. I admit to being one of the world's worst shots with an AK but the Norinco SKS shot nicely for me. If you can afford a great gun, get the real thing. If you can't, you can at least have a lot of fun with a Norinco knock-off, for chump change.

Top Bottom