What's new

Hello Mr Obvious, Long time lurker/first time poster

Hi, my name is Jim and I am an addict...
Damn... wrong forum.
OK, my name is still Jim. Hi.
I have lurked in the shadows and fringes of this wonderful site for quite some time, Intrigued by the idea that the newest 23 blade razor and "gel that turns into a rich invigorating lather" from a can may NOT actually be the best way to remove the flammable brillo pad from your face.
I am your average 36 year old guy.Started shaving at age 15 with a "Stick Schick" injector razor that my father found in an antique store.
It was chosen for its automotive theme rather for its ability to give a safe smooth shave. I think one of the cuts I got from it just recently quit bleeding.
Not sure if the lack of shaving enjoyment I got from that razor was its fault or just my inexperience.
After that razor I went to disposables and stayed there.
Not always the same brand, but always the throwaway theme.
I have been using the Mach3 since it came out.
Oh yea... I have always been a "water shaver" also.
No, I dont mean a wet shaver... just water. Hot Water.
Probably not the best idea but it has been working for me for the past 20 or so years.
The next bit I will insert a post I made in the review forum of a couple of forums I frequent/administrate.
[REVIEW] Razor... Gillette New style

The name... "Gillette New" is kind of misleading.
The razor was made in appx 1930. :D

A while back I was wandering thru the local flea market and ran across an old gillette double edge safety razor in its original box for a couple of bucks so I decided to grab it.
It wasnt a bad looking piece, so I figured that even if I never used it... it wouldnt look bad on one of my shelves of old crap and various collectibles.

It has been sitting around gathering dust and I have been eyeballing it.
I HATE to have something and not use it.
So... I gathered up the accouterments of old school shaving.
A disk of Williams shaving mug soap.
A bristle shaving brush... boar for now... badger one is coming.
Double edge razor blades.
Instead of a mug I am using a Crown Royal rocks glass.

This morning I decided what the hell... I was up an hour and a half before my alarm was set for.
Showered up... placed brush in hot water to soak... assembled my razor and lathered up my weeks growth of beard.
I have been sick as hell and just havent felt like shaving.
I glanced down at my Mach3 laying on the counter as I made my first pass with the 80 year old instrument of torture...
No blood... and damn... no stubble.
I made another pass... blade gliding over the skin... no drag... no pulling...
Rinsed the razor and continued with my shave.
I finished up and washed my face... examining it in the mirror.
Damn... no need for stitches or skin grafts.
Also... *Runs back of hand across face*... Absolutely the smoothest shave I have ever had.
$2 razor
$1 5 pack of blades from Family Dollar
$1 disk of Williams mug soap
$7 shaving brush

Best investment in shaving I have ever made.
I will be looking to get a newer razor... top opening model from the 1950s with adjustable blade tension.
And I will be getting my badger brush.

I do believe that shaving just changed from something I did because I had to do... to a pleasant morning ritual that I look forward to completing.

Take a step back in time.
To a place where the pace was slower.
Experience something the exact way your grandfather... or possibly great grandfather did.

I recommend it.
I know... not the best prose ever written, but most of the people who would be reading that piece are between the ages of 16 and 21. And generally go for the most whizbang shaving apparatus... if they are shaving at all yet.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for having a place like this. A place for people to converse over what most would consider to be among the most mundane of topics.
A place to meet new people and make new friends.

And with that I bid you good day...
Thanks once again.

Jim

Hi, my name is Jim and I am an addict...
Damn... wrong forum.

Jim

Welcome, Jim. And, no, you don't have the wrong forum. Most of the folks on this forum are afflicted with one or more of the following:

RAD
Razor Acquisition Disorder
RBAD
Razor Blade Acquisition Disorder
SBAD
Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder
SCAD
Shaving Cream Acquisition Disorder
SSAD
Shaving Soap Acqisition Disorder

You are definitely in the right place!:302:

Welcome, Jim. And, no, you don't have the wrong forum. Check out the Wiki for the various addictions you are about to encounter. You are definitely in the right place!:302:
GREAT!!!
I hate having to hide my addictions...
I am sitting here looking on craigslist debating on whether or not to grab a new in box Rolls Razor that has popped up for sale. :redface:

Jim

Thanks for the warm welcomes.
I just picked up a mint condition Rolls Razor 2 miles from my house.
Same price as the new in box I was looking at that was an hour away.

I do not have a problem... I do not have a problem...I do not have a problem... I do not have a problem... I do not have a problem... I do not have a problem... I do not have a problem... I do not have a problem...

Jim

Top Bottom