What's new

Still kinda scared.

I have a bunch of straight razors I have collected over the years, but have never thought of using one. I am sure I would want to buy a new one, as all of mine are antique and I'm sure the blade edge isn't as new. I have used a double edge for years. Any tips before I take the straight razor plunge?

Just make sure you start with a shave ready straight - it may be worth having more than one on hand, as most of us damage that first edge either through improper stropping or shaving angle. I have learned a lot by reading through the journals of other members, watching youtube videos, etc. If you decide to buy a new straight, make sure it is properly honed. Best of luck!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My advice would be to take one of those nice vintage ones you have and have someone hone it up for you.
There's nothing out there today that is "better" than the vintage ones, and in many cases the newer ones are not as nice.

I have a bunch of straight razors I have collected over the years, but have never thought of using one. I am sure I would want to buy a new one, as all of mine are antique and I'm sure the blade edge isn't as new. I have used a double edge for years. Any tips before I take the straight razor plunge?

As others have advised, get one of your existing straights honed by someone who knows what they're doing. As for starting to shave with a straight, there is a ton of advice available about getting started. Probably the best is: do the easy areas (the flat of the cheeks) a few times first to get the feel of it and gradually progress to the neck and finally the chin. Nothing to be afraid of if you take your time and start with a shave ready edge. Good luck!

Nester, if you want PM me and I'll put an edge on one of your normal razors, given that its not a wedge or severely warped or disfigured. I don't have a ton of free time to get through a wedge quickly, but i can definitely help out.

Just pay for shipping.

Last edited:
I'll volunteer as well if you'd like. If you take us both up on it, you'll be able to compare different edges, plus use one as a back up. Plus as we'll both know the other is honing one, you're bound to get decent edges, as there's always a bit of competition between two men trying to outdo each other... ;) pm me if you'd like. Again, just chuck a few bucks in the mailer to cover shipping back.

i researched straight razor shaving for MONTHS before my first attempt! and because of that i managed a near perfect comfortable shave on my 3rd attempt

just be careful when experimenting with different grips etc as i have a nasty slash on my chin from holding the razor stupidly

BUT, it is all about trial and error so this may well be inevitable haha

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Read the newbie threads here. Check out all the straight shaving videos on youtube. Get at least one of your razors honed by someone competent. Generally, anyone here who volunteers will probably do a pretty good job. You need a strop. You could initially go with Larry's Poor Man Strop Kit, from www.whippeddog.com which is a very cheap, very basic setup meant to be used by a newbie who will probably destroy the strop through poor stropping technique. It is expendable, and your first strop should be expendable because you will almost certainly put a hurting on it. Later, upbrade to the Big Daddy strop from www.starshaving.com. You need a brush, and a mug or bowl or scuttle, and soap or cream. Larry sells some pretty cheap badger brushes of reasonable quality and I would certainly recommend one of them for your first brush. A mug you can get from goodwill for fifty cents. Don't get plastic or metal, because you might want to zap it in the microwave. For soap, you can't beat VDH, or Van Der Hagen, from walgreens or walmart. Don't smell purty but it lathers nice and it is cheap as dirt. Kiss My Face is a good cream and you should be able to find it at Whole Foods or maybe walmart. Cheaper and better is Godrej, from India, and any Indian or Pakistani grocery or many Arabic groceries will have it. Nothing gives a better shave than Godrej. It is simply magic. About 75 cents overseas but probably about three bucks here. So there's your gear... strop, brush, mug, soap or cream. And honed razor.

Do your homework. Read the forum, google around, and check youtube. And I will give you these pointers:
1. Know which way your whiskers grow on different parts of your face, so you can shave WTG (With The Grain)
2. Shave right after showering, and don't dry your face.
3. Make a good, wet, slick lather, whether on your face or in a bowl. Either way, work it in good on your face and let it sit while you strop your razor.
4. Pull the strop tight, and use only light pressure on the razor. Don't drag the razor off the edge. 50 or 60 laps is plenty. Always keep the spine on the strop. Flip the EDGE out away from the strop, not the spine, when you turn around at the end of the strop.
5. Stretch the skin tight where you are shaving.
6. Watch the shave angle. The spine of the razor should be about one spine thickness away from the face. Too far out and you will wear out your edge and likely cut yourself.
7. Don't worry about getting a perfect shave for the first month or so. Your initial goal should be comfortable, bloodless shaves.
8. For your first few shaves, just do two WTG passes. Lather up and shave. Rinse. Lather up and shave again. Both times WTG. Should be getting a fairly good shave within the first week.
9. After a few weeks, try finishing with a XTG (Across The Grain) or an ATG (Against The Grain) pass.
10. Keep posting to this thread as you make your first few shaves.

Oh, let's not forget aftercare of your razor. Get a 12" long piece of balsa, 3" wide and 3/4" thick or thicker. Get some diamond paste from www.tedpella.com in 1u and .25u grit. Put a couple of bb's worth of 1u on one side and label it. Put the .25u on the other. Rub it in good. You want the diamond particles to imbed into the balsa, not have a layer of paste on the surface. After shaving, strop on the 1u side a dozen laps, and on the .25u side a couple dozen. Do this after every shave and your edge will last a long, long time. Your razor must be very dry before putting it away. You can apply a very thin coat of oil if you like, but its usually not really necessary. Larry's Poor Man Strop Kit comes with a smaller piece of balsa, pasted with Chromium Oxide (green) and Iron Oxide (red) and this can be used as well.

Top Bottom