What's new

OK I give in. What sort of weapon do I start with.

Well really enjoying the tradition wet shaving journey so far (about 7 weeks in) and although I thought it didn't interest me at first after enjoying DE and recently SE this straight razor business does now.
We do have some selection here in New Zealand but its either a slot razor set up for $5 or $6 or a Dovo for nearly $300. What I would like advice on is what should I be looking to buy to get started. I will be looking on ebay mainly as it works well for us on this side of the world so maybe just some name and model numbers.
Nothing too cheap and nasty as I like to keep and collect (sound familiar) thanks for your help.

Many thanks Gents !

PS: Or should I just post a WTB on B/S/T and see what comes up/

Last edited:
check the hobbyist forum or BST or post a wtB with your price range and see what you get offered. then reconcile.

no reason to go with either slot razor set up for $5 or $6 or a Dovo for nearly $300.

if you want to go really basic and really really cheap, post a WTB for a slightly modified Gold Dollar - shave ready. A very modified gold dollar rescaled would be more expensive depending on the range of mod.

.a bit more would be an english or german 5/8s in satisfactory condition from 40-100 or so.

check out the rep or history of the person you purchase fro to back their honing skills. that would make sense to me.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Welcome fellow Kiwi.
you will be better to buy your new razors from a any online vendor, for variety and price reasons. So what any of these gents suggest will work for you.
As long as you keep the total price below $400 including shipping you won't attract customs duties/GST at the NZ boarder. They charge like a wounded bull when you go over that.

To start out you may not want to throw a lot of money at it. Many start with a wipped dog sight unseen deal.
His poormans strop kit is a good idea as many nick their strop while learning.
I got my first razor from The Superior Shave a Dovo Best Quality and was happy with that as a starting razor. YMMV

Top Bottom