What's new

Alum Block

Any recommendations on places to go and buy one without having to deal with the hassel of buying online and waiting. I'm all about instant gratification...:w00t:

Thanks

btw - I live in Charlotte NC

I got mine at my local health food store. Ask for a deodorant stone.

Also a good excuse to look for some Kiss My Face shave cream if you happen to be afflicted with SCAD.

just what is an alum block and how do you use it?:confused:

An alum block is like a styptic pencil, its a block of potassium aluminium sulphate. Its astringent and helps to stop bleeding from any nicks and close up the pores after shaving. I usually wash off any remaining lather then wet the block and rub it over my face, then clean up my razor and brush, then wash off the alum with cold water, although I believe you dont need to was it off.

I bought a French Osma Alum block at Vasco in Montreal. They had 3 or 4 brand of Alum and I went for the cheapest and smallest.

I really enjoy it and it's really nice for the tiny nicks.

Good luck on finding it.

Alum can be either potassium alum, ammonium alum or aluminum sulfate.

Alum is used for a lot of things. When it is used for shaving a piece of it is rubbed over the face after shaving. This closes up any nicks or cuts. This is the same ingredient found in styptic sticks. It's a good way to tell how well you did shaving. If your face stings quite a bit you know that you need to go back to the drawing board.

Blocks of alum were used extensively in barber shops until recent decades. It was stopped because of fear of spreading germs. If you are the only one using it , no problem.

Alum is not the same thing as aluminum chlorhydrate found in deodorants and anti-perspirants. It supposedly is much safer to use than aluminum chlorhydrate.

Of the 3 types of alum potassium alum is the best to use, especially for the face. It doesn't sting as much.

Stay away from aluminum sulfate. That is not supposed to be good stuff.

I use a block of alum every day after shaving. It works well for me.

Buying alum is a bit strange. You can buy it from AOS or big pedigree
brands but they will charge you an arm and a leg. Alum is used all over the world and it costs much less. You can buy a good block of alum $1.99 from Tulumba.com a vendeur of everything Turkish.

I bought mine at Em's Place. It was a little more expensive but it came with a nice little basket that lets it dry easily after usage.

Also I use Thai Deodorant Stick. This is alum as well. It works very well.

DaveS:001_smile

+1 on the deodorant sticks. They may be the "wrong" kind of alum but they work well for me. My shave just isn't complete without a pass of the alum stick immediately after the cold water rinse. My wife asked me just this morning, "So why do you put deodorant on your face?" I had to explain the astringent properties, fights razor burn, closes up weepers etc etc and I finally had to settle for "It just feels good." :001_smile

+1 on the deodorant sticks. They may be the "wrong" kind of alum but they work well for me. My shave just isn't complete without a pass of the alum stick immediately after the cold water rinse. My wife asked me just this morning, "So why do you put deodorant on your face?" I had to explain the astringent properties, fights razor burn, closes up weepers etc etc and I finally had to settle for "It just feels good." :001_smile

I'll agree with you on the deodorant stick. I've got a Crystal brand deodorant stick made of ammonium alum, and even when I got a rather nasty cut from accidentally doing a sideways slide with my DE it had much less of a burn than my styptic pencil would cause.

--Eric

Top Bottom