What's new

NEW Santa Maria Novella - Reformulated

have had the re-formulated now for two weeks and shaved with it 6 times (rotating with MdC and KK) and I will say that it is every bit as slick, protective and post shave moisturizing as my MdC and this stuff explodes when face lathering or bowl lathering.

I love it and would be happy to only use this new formula as my only soap/cream with no issues.

I'm curious to know a bit more about the new fragrance SMN has with its reformulation. People mention it has more of a Tobacco fragrance to it, does this mean it smells like Tabac? Can anyone who has tried the new version clarify?

It smells a bit of a cherry tobacco with a hint of sweetness and a hint of menthol. it is my favorite scent of any product I have ever used.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im afraid to use my old formulation of SMN, since I won't be able to buy it anymore :(

I was recently in Florence and went to the SMN shop. What a fantastic place. I picked up the new formulation along with some liquid balm and an aftershave lotion.

I too am a big fan of the original formula. I have a 2 year old tub with maybe 15% left. Still smells and lathers well.
So how does the new formula stack up. I love it. The scent differentiates it from other soaps and it still has that renowned cushioning lather. Together with the pre shave cream I can enjoy an epic luxurious shaves.

I would recommend it to anyone.

The new vverion is is slicker and better than the old in my opinion .. only soap I have re-purchased after selling the first time ... it is much much better than Proraso in my opinion

The new version is is slicker and better than the old in my opinion .. only soap I have re-purchased after selling the first time ... it is much much better than Proraso in my opinion

I have used both old and new formulae extensively. I was not terribly impressed with the old formula SMN. The new formula SMN creates a very slick and protective lather. It is not voluminous, but it does what I want it to do. And it does it well. But what sets the new formula apart is the scent. I notice the scent most after I have shaved, as it lingers quite nicely on my skin. The old SMN was gone as soon as I rinsed, which was fine by me, as I didn't care much for all the eucalyptus.

I think we are discovering that reformulated does not necessarily mean degraded. Penhaligons has finally reformulated a vastly improved soap. The AOS reformulation is reportedly a good one. Before passing judgment on the new SMN, one really must try it.

I have used both old and new formulae extensively. I was not terribly impressed with the old formula SMN. The new formula SMN creates a very slick and protective lather. It is not voluminous, but it does what I want it to do. And it does it well. But what sets the new formula apart is the scent. I notice the scent most after I have shaved, as it lingers quite nicely on my skin. The old SMN was gone as soon as I rinsed, which was fine by me, as I didn't care much for all the eucalyptus.

I think we are discovering that reformulated does not necessarily mean degraded. Penhaligons has finally reformulated a vastly improved soap. The AOS reformulation is reportedly a good one. Before passing judgment on the new SMN, one really must try it.

Agree about the lather. The new SMN produces the most amazing lather that I get from any soap. Scent wise I prefer the old one.

I have been using SMN for a few weeks now and I find it the best cream I have ever used! I always use the same razor and blade so any noticeable difference has to be the cream. Those who say the ingredient list is unimpressive they may be right but the results are exceptional While it does not have a strong scent it shaves great. For the record I add crushed menthol crystals to all my creams including SMN. The other so called high end cream I like are Castle Forbes & Crown and while both have better scents and more interesting ingredients the SMN for me works better

Top Bottom