What's new

I'm stuck here

Hey guys! Hope all is well!

OK, I have a couple questions and need your help please:

1) I often find that when I apply what I will call "traditional" creams with my brush, i.e. T&H, Trumpers, etc. that they tend to almost dry into almost a crust...think a face mask. This happens after I have applied and let sit on my face for a min. or so. Even if I apply and begin shaving right away, by the time I get to say my chin area the cream has dried up and feels uncomfortable, again as if I have applied a facial mask which cannot be right. I've tried using more cream, adding more water but it always seems as though I have a similar result...thus I just keep reapplying with my brush and a little more water. Any ideas as to what is causing this? Does it sound as that I am using too little water, or not enough cream? I've tried all kinds of creams and prep with the same result so am thinking I am not using enough of something, and or too much of something.

2) The above could be related to this issue. I also find that many lathering creams that I use tend to slightly burn my face....before I've even begun to shave. I've tried unscented creams, i.e. AOS, T&H ultimate comfort, etc. Still the same result. In fact some of those even feel worse. I've even tried just getting in the shower and letting some cream sit on my face only to find that it slightly burned after being on for a few min. This does not happen all the time, but does say every 3 out of 6 times. I especially notice that I often will get a red ring around my mouth area and if I do shave, my face is a little blotchy for a few min. Thoughts here? Does it sound as though there could be an ingredient in some of these creams scented or not that may be causing this? I have no problem what so ever if I apply a brushless style cream, i.e. Billy Jealousy, Kheils, Grooming Lounge, etc. Just not sure what the difference is. Anyone else have a similar experience? I'd love to be able to use some of these creams and enjoy my brush on a regular basis not just half of my shaves.

1. I would think that you're not using enough water. Try building a lather and continue to slowly add water until it finally falls from too much water. You want to try to build until right before that point when you're shaving. You'll be surprised at how much water it can take. For subsequent passes you might even need to add a bit more water later.

2. Do you ordinarily have sensitive skin? Is your skin dry before you apply the cream? I've found that my face reacts worse to many products when the skin is dry, and that it reacts with a similar redness when I leave products with too little moisture (such as Williams shave soap) on for too long. However, the fact that you don't experience the reaction with brushless creams leads me to believe that you might have dry skin that is being irritated by the brush itself. What brush do you use? Keep in mind that the brush has a mild exfoliating effect, and this alone could be the source of your irritation if your skin is too dry or sensitive.

Thanks guys both very helpful. To answer a couple of your questions...

1) I have slightly sens. skin, somewhat of a lighter beard and growth. If anything it's normally a little more on the oily side than dry.

2) I have a few different brushes, S. Row, T&H, etc. I thought it could be this at first too, but I actually have the same results even if I apply by hand.

3) You may be correct that I am not using enough water, but if I was not using enough water would that potentially cause a little discomfort/clown lips?

4) Hard water - could be. I do use Chicago's city water.

You're right about too much water being bad; you lose some of the cushion effect by adding too much. Perhaps I should revise what I meant by "until it falls" - I don't mean falls like a complete collapse. What you want to see is a continuance of the stiff peaks - once those start to fall out then it might be too much water to maintain cushion.

1. I would think that you're not using enough water. Try building a lather and continue to slowly add water until it finally falls from too much water. You want to try to build until right before that point when you're shaving. You'll be surprised at how much water it can take. For subsequent passes you might even need to add a bit more water later.

2. Do you ordinarily have sensitive skin? Is your skin dry before you apply the cream? I've found that my face reacts worse to many products when the skin is dry, and that it reacts with a similar redness when I leave products with too little moisture (such as Williams shave soap) on for too long. However, the fact that you don't experience the reaction with brushless creams leads me to believe that you might have dry skin that is being irritated by the brush itself. What brush do you use? Keep in mind that the brush has a mild exfoliating effect, and this alone could be the source of your irritation if your skin is too dry or sensitive.

That's a very good point

2) The above could be related to this issue. I also find that many lathering creams that I use tend to slightly burn my face....before I've even begun to shave.

I find this happens with some of the soaps as well... one soap that I find never burns even slightly is Provence Sante.

Cheers

Jeremy

Top Bottom