What's new

Upcoming Project: Parker SRB vs. 2013 Parker PTB (Suggestions Welcome)

I've been toying with the notion of taking on a project involving rescaling a shavette just for the fun of it. If I'm going to do it though, I want to get a good quality blade holder for my project. In looking at various models, it seems that the Parker shavettes seem to be generally regarded as the best choice for my purposes. However, I noticed that there is a new 2013 model out now referred to as the Parker PTB (push type blade). Does anyone have any experience with this model? I'm looking for something as close as possible to the look & feel of one of my regular straights. Since I've been restoring razors, I've got plenty of material to get started. I've already got the wood (I'll be using either mahogany or paduk for my scales), pins, stain, polyurethane, and brass washers to get started. So, the holder itself is the only missing element. What do you guys think?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The only shavette with the feeling of a regular straight is a Weck or a Feather AC IMO. The Weck more so as the weight and length are much more similar.

The Parker's are too light to say they "feel" like a traditional straight, although they will give an identical shave if use correctly.

YMMV :wink;

I don't know how the blade loading/unloading works on the new PTB, but the original style works great, and it is a fine razor.

I really need to go out and buy a new one...

Attachments

• $parker closed.jpg
    $parker closed.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 237
That looks really nice, Seraphim. You know, this really has my wheels turning now. Given the popularity of the GD competition, I wonder how much interest there would be in a shavette competition.

What do you think about this for the rules (I stole many of them from the GD competition)?

* Participants may use any make/model of shavette they choose
* No prior creations may be entered (new creations only)
* Participants may submit as many entries as they like during the contest
* The razor must be functional. You build it - you shave with it

I think the important difference between this and the GD competition is the choice in shavette. We'd need to make sure that the first person to rescale a Feather Artist Club doesn't automatically win the whole thing. There would need to be a way to support the use of less expensive models too. Personally, I'm not dropping $100 or more on a project blade and I don't expect anyone else to either.

What do you think about this for the rules (I stole many of them from the GD competition)?

* Participants may use any make/model of shavette they choose
* No prior creations may be entered (new creations only)
* Participants may submit as many entries as they like during the contest
* The razor must be functional. You build it - you shave with it

I think the important difference between this and the GD competition is the choice in shavette. We'd need to make sure that the first person to rescale a Feather Artist Club doesn't automatically win the whole thing. There would need to be a way to support the use of less expensive models too. Personally, I'm not dropping $100 or more on a project blade and I don't expect anyone else to either.

I agree with the premise but I think the skill of the person making the scales will shine through the expense of the shavette itself. That said, I think it will be the choice of the judge or panel thereof that will decide the winner and the direction to them that will ensure "fairness" for the competition.

Also, I suggest we have a nice prize. I struck out on the Coffee mug (still depressed about that BTW) so there should be something worth fighting for... in a gentlemanly way of course.

A prize would definitely pull in a few more entries. Maybe one of the B&B Essential boars (just thinking...er, typing out loud)?

I agree that the scales will be the focus too. There's only so much you can do with a shavette and keep it in a usable state (they're typically light enough as they are without going to town with a Dremel). I think the constrained options for customization (when compared to the GD competition) coupled with the participant's choice of blade holder will allow for a different flavor to the competition.

The next question would be that of the judge or judges. Do we have one of the mods judge? A hobbyist like Seraphim? Or do we put it up to a panel? Maybe we could even pout it up to the B&B community with a poll.

Thoughts?

Meh, a congregational decision via poll is OK but it can turn nasty in a heartbeat. A single trusted judge has shown to be effective but the decision tends to be skewed toward personal preferences. I think a panel of Mods would be the best, they can argue about it behind the scenes and make a corporate decision that takes into consideration all aspects and mutes the personal preference issue.

Do you think we could get the B&B Essential boar brush?

Meh, a congregational decision via poll is OK but it can turn nasty in a heartbeat. A single trusted judge has shown to be effective but the decision tends to be skewed toward personal preferences. I think a panel of Mods would be the best, they can argue about it behind the scenes and make a corporate decision that takes into consideration all aspects and mutes the personal preference issue.

Do you think we could get the B&B Essential boar brush?

You're probably right about the panel being the best option. As for the brush, I looked into it and it seems to be sold out at the moment. Bummer...

Top Bottom