What's new

Daypack?

My two kids have taken a liking to getting out and about while Geocaching and short hikes in the suburban parks, and I think the next step involves getting a little further "out there". We aren't talking overnighters yet, but longer hikes in more rural setting where the possibility of an unplanned prolonged stay can't be ignored.

The only packpacks I have are all ALICE packs, with and without the frames, or 1980's vintage external frame packs that aren't really suitable for short jaunts that call for water, snacks and some survival/first aid type gear. I'm thinking the basic ten plus some treats.

The kids can make do with those packs they use to haul books around (BTW, have you hoisted that monster your kid is lugging around?) but dad is looking for something that will be more dedicated to the day hikes.

Any favorites, suggestions or ideas?

If it helps, I'm probably not dropping a bunch of dough on this...I'm kind of thinking the Wally World Outdoor products line, or a step up from that second hand.

I like he looks of he Vintage 30 by Fjallraven.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 161
Campmor or Sierra Trading Post both have great deals on outdoor goods. Jansport and Kelty both make good entry level products. Look for something that has a water bladder and a few outside pockets, load up the 10 essentials and have fun.

Last edited:
$3400fc99-ceb2-4793-b32b-930513ea35cb.jpg
These (REI Flash 18 Pack) go on sale about 3 times a year at REI for $18. My kids love them. I use one too for my geocaching gear.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with a budget pack on sale at a local sporting goods store for thirty bucks.

Of course the minute I did this I found a couple of very serviceable Jansport daypacks at a secondhand store for a few dollars each, so now I have three.

I have a Franklyn Climbing approach pack (anyone remember Franklyn Climbing before Black Diamond bought them out?), a Dana Designs(ditto for them but Marmot bought them out) Courier bag and a Marmot fanny pack. All of them carry well and all of them were on sale. I think I spent more for the Dana but it is a beast of a bag and it awesome for long bike rides.

Have a few days off, and so far we've hit the Lord Hill trails near Monroe, Wa and the Lime Kiln Trail near Granite Falls, Wa. The boys are loving it, and seem to shrug off a seven miler with a few hundred feet of elevation change. They both want to do this more often.

I'd say it's a hit!

Top Bottom