What's new

another newbie question and a BIG thank You !

Been checking out this site for a few weeks and I want to thank everyone for all the advice and suggestions for a new DE user. I found a great deal on some Taylor of Old Bond Street aftershave creme on Sierra Trading Post and one thing led to another. Easy to get sucked in, right ??

After lots of reading and comparing prices, I decided to go with this set-up from West Coast Shaving:

RZ-MER-23C Merkur 23C Long Handle Safety Razor
RB-SAM-004 DE Blade Sampler Pack-Choice
TOBS Shaving Cream Bowl, Eton College
OP-WCS-501 Hand Thrown Lather Bowl, Nutmeg Brown
Simpson Case Shaving Brush
Simpson Travel Container

I have been using the Merkur razor blade that came with the razor and have shaved once each morning over the last four days. Still getting use to the weight of the razor (transitioning from BIC 3 three-blade disposables). I generally try to follow the BB tutorial regarding shaving technique and currently I am lathering twice and shaving twice to receive the most amazing results ! I wish I had started this back in my college days !!

Finally ...to my question !

I usually flip the razor over every pass or two to present a clean edge. Then I rinse and move on. I am planning on trying one of the other DE blades tomorrow that came in the sampler pack and then I wondered. Can I flip the current blade over and continue using it for a few more shaves or is the blade worn out?

I would like to complement WCS for their excellent customer service. Very helpful, fast shipping via FedEX and great prices. One of the items I purchased, I was extremely happy with and that was the lather bowl. PERFECT size for holding in your hand and between it and the Case brush, it produced an amazing amount of lather with just a little of the TOBS cream. Good solid weight, great finish and all of fifteen bucks ! Highly recommended !!

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Hand-Thrown-Lather-Bowl-Nutmeg-Brown_p_527.html

Thanks again , everyone !!

You'll know the blade is worn out when it starts pulling. Many of us have tried all methods of extending blade life. We've been drying them between uses, bought magnets, built pyramids, set them among crystals. The truth is, the payoff is minimal in any case I've seen. Flip it if you want and draw your own conclusions. I think you'll find if there's a difference it'll be negligible.

If you want to save the blade you are taking out, you could put it in the wrapper of the new blade you're putting in, just make sure it's dry. The long and short of it is that if the blade is tugging, pulling, or causing mild discomfort, it's time to retire the blade. If it's still mowing along smooth and comfy, keep going!

Good luck. Sounds like you're having good success so far!

I have to agree that the "pulling" is the sign. Some people with heavy beards can only get a couple of shaves in before they feel they need to switch. Me, I have a fairly sparse and fine-hair beard, and I typically only shave M-F, so I can sometimes go two weeks (10 shaves - 20+ passes) on one blade. Though I usually switch a bit more frequently than that. As folks like to say on this site... YMMV.

Thanks for the advice guys ! I went ahead and swapped out the blade to an Astra SP and got a super smooth shave with no 'pull'. MUCH better to just go ahead and swap out the blade rather than trying to eek out a couple of not-as-smooth shaves.......Astra seems to be an excellent blade; still have a few more manufacturers to try out. Its nice that they offer the sampler packs.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Everyone has a different experience with how many shaves on a blade. They are way too cheap to push that envelope. I average 3 - 4 days of three pass shaves with a 7 O'clock Black or Astra, 4-6 with a Med Prep. You will know when you've gone too long. My blades seem to dye slowly, but some quite mid shave. If it feels bad don't hesitate to change it immediately.

Hi springerfever, welcome to B&B! Come on over to the Shave Clinic and Newbie Sheck-In forum and say hi when you get a moment!

Also, when you get a chance, please head over to our Hall of Fame and tell us all a bit more about yourself. There are links in my signature to areas of B&B of special interest to new folks--perhaps you might like to have a look at them. If you ever have questions or run into problems, don't hesitate to post them up. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and there's always someone around to offer advice or lend a hand.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaving, and once again, WELCOME!!

Hello and Welcome to B&B. +1 to the above.Blades are inexpensive so find your groove and let the enjoyment begin. I use Crystals and Feathers 2 shaves for feather, 2 for Crystal. Early on I tried to push them. When a blade goes bye bye and one is in the middle of a shave, it's like running out of fuel at the Indy 500 ,corner 4, checker flag run. Enjoy!

Top Bottom