What's new

Brush hobbyists display cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
$DSC01211.jpg$DSC01212.jpg$DSC01213.jpg$DSC01216.jpg
I really want to share this one. Made from poly resin I poured. The button is an embedded button from a Civil war uniform kit from one of B&B members that was on his jacket while he was an extra in Dances with Wolves and Glory. This brush has a sister brush that belongs to a member here who gave me this button just in case I messed up on the first handle. I casted both blanks at the same time to have an extra. Well, I didn't mess up, so I finally made myself a handle. I designed it similar, but different than the first one. Both turned out so well. This is the first brush that I actually made for myself.

Awesome! Enjoy it!
View attachment 397186View attachment 397187View attachment 397188View attachment 397189
I really want to share this one. Made from poly resin I poured. The button is an embedded button from a Civil war uniform kit from one of B&B members that was on his jacket while he was an extra in Dances with Wolves and Glory. This brush has a sister brush that belongs to a member here who gave me this button just in case I messed up on the first handle. I casted both blanks at the same time to have an extra. Well, I didn't mess up, so I finally made myself a handle. I designed it similar, but different than the first one. Both turned out so well. This is the first brush that I actually made for myself.

You sir, are not only a top shelf machinist, but quite the photographer as well. I'd bet you can shave in only two passes as well.

Hi all,
Let me introduce my new brush, knot it's mandchurian badger 29mm, cherry tree handle.For size comparison next to omega 10098 ;)

Best regards
a

Attachments

• $IMG_0442_zps7309c0bd.jpg
    $IMG_0442_zps7309c0bd.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Here is my latest project nearing completion. The handle is spalted oak burl with an epoxy finish. The knot is a TGN 22mm standard silvertip and is just sitting there for looks. The handle needs a 24mm.
$IMG_20140406_141907_762.jpg

Another attempt. This time with a TGN 24mm Finest 2 Band. The woods are white birch burl and purple heart.

Pre-wash
$102_0924.jpg
De-Funk lather
$102_0928.jpg
Nicely bloomed
$102_0930.jpg

Here is my latest project nearing completion. The handle is spalted oak burl with an epoxy finish. The knot is a TGN 22mm standard silvertip and is just sitting there for looks. The handle needs a 24mm.
View attachment 433571

Another attempt. This time with a TGN 24mm Finest 2 Band. The woods are white birch burl and purple heart.

Pre-wash
View attachment 434044
De-Funk lather
View attachment 434045
Nicely bloomed
View attachment 434046

These are outstanding brushes! You have done well, sir.

A little sanding and a polish brought some shine back to a family heirloom. I thought about reknotting but this is still the best face lathering brush I have. Nothing like a 50 year break in period.
$102_0936.jpg
I used a headlight polishing kit from Wal-Mart.

Here is a little story of my first brush I made:

I consider myself an avid craftsman and after doing some reading on the forums, finally decided to make my very own badger brush. I harvested the wood for this brush about two years ago and it has been air drying since. It is mountain mahogany and has some very unique grain pattern. It took me about three weeks to complete working on it off and on. The knot used is a TGN 24mm two-band finest badger with about a 55mm loft. The brush lathers wonderfully and is very aesthetically pleasing. Check it out:

$IMAG0108.jpg$IMAG0110.jpg$IMAG0129.jpg$IMAG0136.jpgView attachment 437190

After reading other threads and re-reading the OP of this thread, I realize that I should not be posting my work here. I do not currently have any intentions of making brushes specifically for sale as a Hobbyist/Vendor. I apologize for not fully understanding the moniker of Hobbyist and for inadvertently leading others astray. I certainly would not want my ignorance to affect my good standing (or, god forbid, anybody else's) in this fine community. I would not be offended it you see fit to remove my posts from this thread.:oops: Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom