What's new

Hi there, from a "budget shaver"

Hi there, after a few weeks of lurking, I decided to register, and introduce myself.

I'm a "budget shaver" from the Netherlands. In my case, "budget" means that I have been shaving with a boar brush and "De Vergulde Hand" shaving soap for most of the last 30 years. With regards to shaving "hardware", I am a long time user of Gillette GII and Contour cartridges, preferably without that horrible lubrication strip. Those are becoming harder to find, unfortunately, but my current supply should last for the next 5 years or so.

I can't see myself shaving with anything having more than two blades (why would I?), but I have become interested in "old style" shaving, with a double edge razor. No experience yet, because there is still supply of quality twin blade cartridges. But sometime in the next 10 years, that supply will probably dry up, and I don't want to surrender to the multi-blade (at least more than 2) cartridges, with all kinds of ugly strips.

My current shaving gear: (which has been mostly the same for the latest 20 years)

• Gillette contour handle (the aluminium original)
  • Non-Gillette twin cartridges, currently Wilkinson Sword, without lubrication strip
  • De Vergulde Hand shaving soap; it's what my dad and granddad used, so it is probably good enough for me as well
  • Vero boar brush; I know that badger is supposed to be much better, but I never found something to complain about Vero and Omega boar brushes really
  • I have used Nivea after shave for years, but some time ago I switched to Sanex. I have discarded the heavy alcohol based after shaves long ago, because they irritated my skin, and have a much too strong perfume.

Of course the challenge here will be to keep my budget under control :001_cool:
(I know which way it went with fountain pens and mechanical watches)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So there is no lubrication strip on the Wilkinson Sword cartridges in the Netherlands? Or do you tear them off? Sure would like to see a picture of the aluminum contour handle you have? I think you have a great 'minimalist' set up. I can tell you that for me, I shave with straights, single edge razors and double edge razors because I consider it a small hobby.

However, I get just as good a shave from my vintage Trac II with the same Wilkinson Sword cartridges you use. I mainly use the Trac II during travel and enjoy those shaves just as much when using any of the other type of razors. Like you, I won't ever use any razor with more than two blades. So unless you think you will enjoy using different types of razors, you probably are not going to get a better shave than what you are already getting if you have enjoyed the Contour for more than 20 years.

Have you heard the saying, don't fix what ain't broke? :)

So there is no lubrication strip on the Wilkinson Sword cartridges in the Netherlands? Or do you tear them off? Sure would like to see a picture of the aluminum contour handle you have? I think you have a great 'minimalist' set up. I can tell you that for me, I shave with straights, single edge razors and double edge razors because I consider it a small hobby.
Many currently produced twin cartridges have that lubricatrion strip, so I usually scrape that off (after wetting). Original Gillette cartridges without a strip are getting harder to find (nowadays Gillette sells them as "Slalom"). But I bought a large batch of plain Wilkinson Sword cartridges (produced in the 1990's probably) from a fellow Dutchman. Just as good as the Gillette cartridges, much lower price, and no need to shop around for the next few years :glare:

So unless you think you will enjoy using different types of razors, you probably are not going to get a better shave than what you are already getting if you have enjoyed the Contour for more than 20 years.
Ahh yes, but the Contour-compatible cartridges won't be around forever :glare:

Have you heard the saying, don't fix what ain't broke? :)

True ... but currently I am in the "try something new for a change" mode :biggrin1:

Well, apart from electrics (tried, but didn't like it) or multi-multi-blade (much too expensive).

Edit: quick picture; here is my shaving stuff (minus the plastic holder for my shaving brush)

proxy.php

Last edited:
Hallo Johan!

I love the Vero brushes, an excellent choice!
Do you also have the barbershop model?

As for DVH, not so. Luckily the Proraso line, Calani and TFS soaps are readily available in The Netherlands!

Hallo Johan!

I love the Vero brushes, an excellent choice!
Do you also have the barbershop model?
I am used to an Omega brush (the ones with the black / transparent handle), but I could not find it in the shop, the last time I needed a new brush. So I bought a Vero instead, and that one is doing its job as well.

I tried Palmolive and Proraso soap in the past, but my face seems happy enough with Vergulde Hand. And since it is cheap, and available everywhere, it is a logical choice for me.

Hi Johant1968, welcome to B&B! I admire your goal of "budget shaving", however I must warn you: many have tried to walk down that road before only to be lured by the siren songs of the various "Aquisition Disorders" (ADs)!:biggrin1: Good luck in your quest!!:thumbup:

When you get a chance, please head over to our Hall of Fame and tell us all a bit more about yourself. There are links in my signature to areas of B&B of special interest to new folks--perhaps you might like to have a look at them. If you ever have questions or run into problems, don't hesitate to post them up. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and there's always someone around to offer advice or lend a hand.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaving, and once again, WELCOME!!

When you get a chance, please head over to our Hall of Fame and tell us all a bit more about yourself. There are links in my signature to areas of B&B of special interest to new folks--perhaps you might like to have a look at them. If you ever have questions or run into problems, don't hesitate to post them up. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and there's always someone around to offer advice or lend a hand.
Thanks, also for the pointer to the hall of fame.

However, my only claim to fame today is that I have been using the same razor, and shaving soap brand, for over twenty years, and have 0.0% experience with anything else than the Gillette twin blades ... hardly impressive :biggrin1:

To make up for that, I'll post a somewhat nicer picture of my Gillette Contour handle here :glare:

proxy.php

Not that you can see it in this picture, but there is a Wilkinson Sword Profile blade installed; the original ones without a lubrication strip.

Wow, Johan, that Contour handle definitely has some miles on it!:biggrin1: You might want to take a toothbrush and some Scrubbing Bubbles to it and make it gleam again like new.:thumbup:

Before I found B&B, I used the same brush, cream, razor and blade every day for 30 years. Now? Hmmm, lets see...:blushing::blink::lol:

Yes, I probably should have done that before taking the picture :biggrin1:
(to be fair, I do soak it in soapy water every few months, but that doesn't remove everything)

I have a second one like that ... at the time (late 80's) I had one at my parents house, and one in the studio I rented as a student.
That second one is my spare, for if this one ever breaks (unlikely :biggrin1:)

Since I am happy with my razor and brush for now, I think I need to dive a bit into the soaps :glare:

Nice looking contour handle johant.
This was the usual Contour handle as sold by Gillette in the 80's. There was also a cheaper plastic/metal version, but I never liked that. One of the reasons being that my dad used a metal handle as well :wink2:

Welcome to the forum, you'll fit in well here. I suspect it will not be long and you will be partaking in some fine soaps.
happy shaving

Top Bottom