What's new

Post your Pictures : Military Straights

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's been a while since the last thread. Let's get this going again! The rules are simple, if you have a straight razor with a military background, post a picture(s). Show us the goods.

I, unfortunately, do not own any Military straights anymore. The last I had was a John Heiffor stamped "Made for the Army" on the back.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Legion

Staff member
I have this one, a William Revitt (still unrestored).

It is probably early/ mid 19th century. I post it in the military straight thread because the horn scales have had a coat of khaki paint at some point. I can think of no other reason to do that but it went to war. But which war?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Anyone with numbers stamped into the handle as per the 'send a razor to the front line' initiative can post here, I reckon!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm surprised those are such a unique piece!

Here's one I can't explain. The scales are marked "Jim Crow," almost like a US military nameplate. I asked Greybeard about it a while back, and he mentioned that there had been a US military unit going by the nickname of "Jim Crow" at one point, which seems to be the only possibility here. Otherwise, a Union Cutlery production.

$HOTD-2-12-13.jpg

$Straight.jpg
The razor brand itself has no military background, but MY Dovo has been used in Afghanistan by me. BOOM! Military History lol :lol:

Not as flashy as the razors above, but as it's gov't issue I think the Weck Medical Service Razor has the pedigree required for this gallery. Issued for surgical prep rather than shaving, they are great shavers none the less. Here's mine:

View attachment 454252

Watching ebay auctions I learned a few things about this razor. The one I have seems to have been issued from the mid 1950s to as late as 1969. I've seen three variations, below from left: Weck with stock number (WWII?), Weck with Medical logo only, Navy Weck.

$3 Wecks.jpg

I have a hunter and sons 13/16" full wedge like this with numbers stamped into the horn.
I am looking at a Butler with a 4 digit number on the scales... must look into this "send a razor to the front line" I remember watching a WW1 documentary and couldnt imagine how difficult it was in the trenches to live let alone keep a straight in working order

This Wapienica was made for the Polish Army, if that counts. It was a gift from my father in law. No telling where he got it, as he was never in the Army, Polish or otherwise
20181231_220818.jpg

Army and Navy Imperial - Probably new in 1898 - Scaled by me last year using Tiger Maple. Delivers a great shave.

DSCN6100 - Front Side after pinning.jpg
DSCN6105 - Back Side after pinning.jpg

Picked up this Clauss USMC. Needs a little polishing and honing, but I then hope to find an appreciative home with someone that served in that branch.
IMG_20190112_214340.jpg

Can anyone help with this one . My grandfather just recently passed away and left this to me . It is a John Heiffor. I do not know anything about straight razors as this is the first one I have ever owned. I would love to know as much about it as possible
15506854887307830878773519857885.jpg
15506855409293324464161409835926.jpg
1550685612317421989184457707489.jpg

John Heiffor's son, Thomas, produced a "Made for the Army" model from Paradise Square, but it doesn't appear to be the same model, it would be listed on the other side of the tang. The company continued producing razors from that location until 1930's.

Having the etching, I think makes it in rare shape

Top Bottom