What's new

what company will make a shirt non-iron?

I have several shirts that require ironing. I know from previous reading that whan making a shirt non-iron they first make the shirt then dip it in a formaldehyde resin bath. I used to have the name of a company that would do this but I must of cleared my cookies since then. Does anyone know of a company that I can send my shirts to that would do this?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Why not just replace your existing shirts with non-iron shirts? Since I iron my shirts anyway, I no longer buy non-iron shirts. I find a quality fitted regular cotton shirt irons just as easily and breathes better than non-iron shirts.

I had some 'non-iron' shirts, they still needed ironing which turned out to be annoying. now I just get my missus to do them for me!

I don't anyone to get hurt but I hope the EPA ciscovers that the chemical process used to make shirts "no-iron" is unsafe and the process is made illegal. I've received a few of no-iron shirts as gifts. One from Brooks Bros. and one from Joseph Banks. They both feel horrible.

Why not just replace your existing shirts with non-iron shirts? Since I iron my shirts anyway, I no longer buy non-iron shirts. I find a quality fitted regular cotton shirt irons just as easily and breathes better than non-iron shirts.

Because I am rather particular in what I like 7 what I like is not available in non iron.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Does this no iron work for anybody? I find that at best I still need to iron collars and around buttons frequently.

Does this no iron work for anybody? I find that at best I still need to iron collars and around buttons frequently.

I have a few LL Bean wrinkle free shirts that are a little stiff but pretty good and never need ironing so long as I hang them shortly after they dry. I have other brands of non-iron Bermuda cotton type shirts that are nice and soft and breathable, but I still have to iron the collars no matter what.

Because I am rather particular in what I like 7 what I like is not available in non iron.

I went by Brooks Brothers yesterday to return a suit and was looking at the their dress shirts, everything was non-iron. Only had a handful of regular cotton shirts in stock. I'll be ordering MTM shirts from now on.

I am all over the place on non-iron shirts. It is interesting to me that there is a company that will make a existing shirt non-iron.

I find the non-iron quality of shirts varies a lot. I have some "Eagle" brand shirts that are just amazing in being able to go through the laundry and come out looking great. Brooks Brothers shirts seem to do pretty well. The Costco Kirkland brand dress shirts I have that are supposedly non-iron seem very weak in this department. I would say the collars and cuffs do least well in the non-iron department as to non-iron shirts in general. Again, the Eagle brand shirts I have seem to do pretty well even there. I think I have a Nautica shirt when is fine, too.

I also find that for reasons unknown I have not read about anywhere else the ends of the non-iron shirt double cuffs I have tend to get dirty easily or to at least show dirt more easily than my regular cotton shirts that require ironing.

I used to think there was not that much of a difference in the appearance or feel of non-iron versus regular cotton shirts. However, I have come around on the latter to thinking that non-iron shirts just do not breathe all that well. I suppose they do not look quite as good in a way either, except I think I like the way a non-iron shirt looks at the end of the day better than a cotton shirt that requires ironing.

As a result, I find myself sending all of my shirts out to the laundry, iron and non-iron alike, and not worrying too much one way or the other when buying shirts as to whether non-iron or not. I do seem to find that cotton shirts that require ironing are not as available as non-iron versions these days. I suppose most of my recent shirt purchases have been Chas Tyrwhit (sp?). I have intentionally picked the kind that require ironing.

I used to be into the non iron thing, I used to look for the non iron shirts but not find a whole lot that I liked, I always ended up having iron shirts anyway and I would be trying the tricks of putting it on right out of the dryer or hanging it up in the bathroom while I took a shower, but it was all in vain because the shirts would never get 'crisp'.

Lately I have taken up ironing and I find it very therapeutic. It only takes 3 to 5 minutes each shirt and I find that my shirts iron very easily now that I iron them often. I never took the time to learn to iron before but after watching a video on how to iron by TM Lewin on youtube it made the whole chore simple.

This one step has taken my appearance up a notch.

I end up ironing all my shirts regardless of whether they claim to be non-iron or not. It just looks sharper and the "non-iron" shirts don't seem to wrinkle all that much less than the others anyway.

On the weekends I find that just drinking a concoction of formaldehyde and warm resin does the trick. My sweat simply burns the wrinkles away. Much better than shipping a shirt off to someone else who will probably end up just doing the same thing and then sending the shirts back.

Top Bottom