What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

Is that the Breville infuser model?

let us know what you think of the Chemex. Maybe I'll start a thread about Chemex brewers so everyone can comment and add their tips and tricks that they use so others can get more out of their brewers

Stay tuned to my wiki, Mick. Gonna be making some tutorials next few weeks.

Is that the Breville infuser model?

let us know what you think of the Chemex. Maybe I'll start a thread about Chemex brewers so everyone can comment and add their tips and tricks that they use so others can get more out of their brewers

Yes it is.

I gave it a quick shakedown this morning. Very easy to use. Initially I tamped way too hard and choked it off. After I figured out the pressure of tamping it was straight forward. I used some older Starbucks beans I had laying around, still was acceptable. I need to program it as I think the shots are going too long and getting a bit over extracted. I used 17 grams for a double shot. I'm going to try making a cappuccino before I leave for work today.

The chemex will wait until tomorrow.

My 6 cup Cuisinox Roma Moka pot came in today. The jonesing is now over

proxy.php

I found this NIB Melitta 10 cup set up for $2 at the flea market this morning.

That looks like a Melitta #6. I picked up one of those years ago at a thrift shop still in the box. The BIG Melitta brew system is hard to come by today for some reason. Typically is the #4 or #2 brew system that I run across more often.

That is gonna make A LOT of coffee. I use mine at our cabin to brew for my air pot up there. Makes a KILLER brew. I've been VERY happy using the one I have when I am at our cabin. Automatics are too difficult to winterize so I only have the large Melitta pour over and a Russell Hobbs kettle up there.

If you like to drink 6-10 cups it is a fine brewer.

That looks like a Melitta #6. I picked up one of those years ago at a thrift shop still in the box. The BIG Melitta brew system is hard to come by today for some reason. Typically is the #4 or #2 brew system that I run across more often.

That is gonna make A LOT of coffee. I use mine at our cabin to brew for my air pot up there. Makes a KILLER brew. I've been VERY happy using the one I have when I am at our cabin. Automatics are too difficult to winterize so I only have the large Melitta pour over and a Russell Hobbs kettle up there.

If you like to drink 6-10 cups it is a fine brewer.

It is a #6. I make at least 30oz of coffee every morning and often more. I recently bought the one cup pour over which works great for a single mug. I figure for $2 I couldn't go wrong on this. I think this will work good when I want to take a thermos with me to work. Sometimes my 16oz thermal mug just isn't enough.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396799905.665608.jpg

I found these 1967 Bennington Pottery (Vermont) mugs at my local Goodwill in Georgia for a couple of dollars. I was pretty excited about this as I grew up near Bennington and my parents bought a lot of items from them.

Put an order in for some espresso and pour over from Blue bottle coffee-

Ethiopia Sidama Homacho Waeno
Burundi Twese Twoterimbere Guatemala Santa Ana
House of Good

Found some unused BestBuy gift cards we'd forgotten about a couple weeks ago. "Should I use that to subsidize a new tablet? headphones? nintendo? hmm... best buy sell appliances, right? i wonder if they have any grinders."

fastforward 2 weeks and i just christened my Capresso Infinity with some Sbux Ethiopian.

Found some unused BestBuy gift cards we'd forgotten about a couple weeks ago. "Should I use that to subsidize a new tablet? headphones? nintendo? hmm... best buy sell appliances, right? i wonder if they have any grinders."

fastforward 2 weeks and i just christened my Capresso Infinity with some Sbux Ethiopian.

Wise choice grasshopper

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
$Coffee Containers.jpg

3 and a half pounds of coffee from Dark City in the Greater Toronto Area. But mostly I'm posting about these Airscape Lite containers. Pictured are the small and medium size. The medium is a good size for a pound. The small a half pound.

And yes . . . unrelated . . . I eat sprouts . . . the green stuff in the foreground.

Neon dry erase markers to mark the containers.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
So, I found this nice cast iron teapot in a thrift store.

proxy.php

I initially thought it was probably a Chinese copy of a Japanese teapot, which you see commonly for sale on ebay, etc. But no, looking inside I found...

proxy.php

The only marking or stamp on the pot itself is this. I'm having a very hard time working out the manufacturer. The style of teapot is called a Tsuki, but a few makers do the style. Does anyone recognise the stamp? The pot seems very well made, better than the Chinese ones I have seen for sale in the chain tea stores here.

proxy.php

Decided to add to my samples stash, so that I get a better understanding of my likes/dislikes. All the following are samples from TeaVivre...

- Anxi Monkey King (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea
- Bailin Gongfu Black Tea
- Fengqing Paddy Flavor Raw Pu-erh Cake Tea 2006
- Golden Monkey Black Tea
- Lapsang Souchong Smoky Black Tea (Yan Xun Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong)
- Menghai Palace Ripened Pu-erh Cake Tea 2008
- Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea
- Premium Dragon Well Long Jing Green Tea
- Premium Jasmine Dragon Pearls Green Tea
- Premium Keemun Hao Ya Black Tea
- Silver Needle White Tea (Bai Hao Yin Zhen)
- Superfine Tan Yang Gong Fu Black Tea
- Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea
- Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea – Golden Tip

Two of them are free samples from TeaVivre.

$image.jpg
Got a new grinder this week (refurbished), found a source for green coffee and am using a friend's roaster.
My french press has VASTLY improved. I cannot wait for the vac pot trials!

Top Bottom