What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

It seems all the other subs have an Acquisition thread of some sort. How come there's no sticky for our home café hardware acquisitions?

To start it off, this week I acquired an 8 cup Chemex and a Baratza Encore grinder! (Thanks to my beautiful wife :001_tt1:!)

Last edited:
I've made a few purchases in the last few weeks.

FreshRoast SR500 home roaster

Hario Skerton Hand Grinder

Baratza Maestro Plus Grinder

Aeropress

Metal disc filter for Aeropress

Sur La Table stove top kettle

Bodum double walled glass mugs (set of 2)

DIY Cold Brew setup (2 jars, small strainer, coffee filters)

Teaze Over the Cup infuser

Tuffy Travel Tea Infuser

Various metal mesh tea infusers

Coffees:
Peet's House Blend Whole Bean
Peet's Major Dickason Whole Bean
8 OClock Decaf Whole Bean

4 pounds of 'green' beans of various origin

Teas:
Twinnings Earl Gray Loose Leaf
Twinnings Breakfast Blend Loose Leaf
The TeaSpot Strawberry Rhubarb Green Tea Loose Leaf
2oz of a second flush Darjeeling from a local tea house

Just added this blue willow cup & saucer to my inventory. English made. Grabbed it at a local antique swap shop. $5

proxy.php

Not hardware, but a great find, none-the-less!

I just found out that my local Whole Foods roasts its own coffee and sources high quality loose leaf teas! So, with this I make my way into the world of tea!

$CAM00046.jpg

From the top:
1) 1 lb Mexican SO (Single Origin) Coffee (Grapos ranch/coop)
2) Earl Grey
3) White Tea infused with rose petals
4) Black (Sorry, can't remember the name)
5) Matcha Green
6) White

Can't remember the names of any of the teas, which, I realize makes identification and commentary pretty useless.

No hardware acquisitions for the tea yet, but I came up with an awesome "gaiwan"! My handy-dandy TARDIS Mug!! It has a lid, which makes it perfect for pouring the tea while holding back the leaves! Currently pouring into my standard ceramic work coffee mug. I'll work on the equipment in the coming weeks.

Not hardware, but a great find, none-the-less!

I just found out that my local Whole Foods roasts its own coffee and sources high quality loose leaf teas! So, with this I make my way into the world of tea!

View attachment 325212

From the top:
1) 1 lb Mexican SO (Single Origin) Coffee (Grapos ranch/coop)
2) Earl Grey
3) White Tea infused with rose petals
4) Black (Sorry, can't remember the name)
5) Matcha Green
6) White

Can't remember the names of any of the teas, which, I realize makes identification and commentary pretty useless.

No hardware acquisitions for the tea yet, but I came up with an awesome "gaiwan"! My handy-dandy TARDIS Mug!! It has a lid, which makes it perfect for pouring the tea while holding back the leaves! Currently pouring into my standard ceramic work coffee mug. I'll work on the equipment in the coming weeks.

Great find!

I know this might be sacrilege but I saw this Keurig B70 at a garage sale and picked it up on the cheap for $30.
I got a couple reuseable filter cups and these filled with 10 grams ea of Kirkland Signature Espresso Blend ground to drip and the machine set to 192°/5.25 cup size I get a decent out the door/off to work in a hurry cup of coffee.
It also works quite good for tea water.
I will still use the Aeropress on the weekends but this is going to make the work day a little easier to face.

$KeurigB70.jpg

I've had the itch to try my hand at espresso. After reading a ton of reviews I picked up a Gaggia Classic.

View attachment 346946

So far so good. I plan on adjusting the pressure valve in the near future, but for right now I'm having a lot of fun and the whole family is staying fully caffeinated.

I don't quite have the refinement of most tea/coffee drinkers but I do love my hot teas and my holy heck sweet southern tea. (which reminded me to get up and make sun tea for tomorrow while writing this post) But this is my latest pick up. Marrakesh Mint Tea from spiceandtea.com and a collapse-able steeper. I picked them both up at Walt Disney World of all places. Lol. My go to coffee sadly, is at Starbucks. I'm not a big coffee drinker and I can't afford an espresso machine to make the few coffee drinks I like at Starbucks. So here ya go!

Attachments

• $20130703_170615.jpg
    $20130703_170615.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 374
My acquisition probably isn't all that exciting to most but I'm psyched. I finally made a good cup of coffee at home. I bought myself a french press.

I have also been using preground coffee in an old drip machine I inherited, its been pretty gross. So I also bought some whole bean coffee for the first time. I used a blade grinder that I usually use to grind spices, so my first cup came out with a hint of cardamom. But the coffee since has been excellent. My next purchase will have to be another grinder.

Let the insanity begin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom