What's new

Linen socks?

Any one tried these? My last holiday I took a bundle of light weight cotton socks I bought off ebay and they were terrible, to tight on the calf. I got to thinking that in hotter climates perhaps linen socks would be a good idea but wondered if any one else has tried them and if so how they hold up compared to other socks.

Linen socks? A new one on me I'm afraid. Time for me to go Googling...

What make did you buy from Ebay? Sounds like they were not great...Have a look, if you've not already, at Pantherella and also Pringle (the sock of choice in TKMaxx!) Richard James has nice lightweight socks too. And of course - M&S!

You might want to look into bamboo/coconut/etc. fiber synthetic blends. I had one pair of linen socks that basically fell apart after a few wears. Never again.

I did manage to find a company called COS here in the UK that sell linen socks but not cheap at £5 a pair......I also purchased 3 pairs of bamboo socks from TKMaxx over the weekend. Bamboo caught my eye as I figured this would be good for hot holidays in the sun. I have no idea yet how the linen socks hold up, I always thought that linen would be hardier than cotton but perhaps not?

In my experience light Merino Wool actually does a wonderful job keeping your feet at a comfortable temperature. Most of my hiking socks are Merino/Synthetic blend (~10-15% synthetic for durability) and they do a spectacular job in hot weather hiking. I've had similar experiences with light wool dress socks, though they stretch a bit if pure wool.

I am a big fan of wool socks. They work great in all temperatures, including summer heat and winter cold. I recently purchases a couple pair of Darn Tough socks that I am a fan of so far, and they have a life time warranty!

Top Bottom